• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 10: Lanciano – Tortoreto 177 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Actually surprised there were only 2 positives considering Yates rode with the virus for nearly a week, a shame Steven K is out but still better news than I was expecting.

And yeah saying Almeida has won this race is just silly, if the race is cancelled there will be no winner.

If Yates did have it for a week, and we really don’t know if that’s the case, it still means other riders could show absolutely no symptoms for another week and then test positive, such is the 2 week incubation period.

Hyperbole, relax.

Don't scare people!

My belief is that with all stage races then you should randomly test one rider and one staff member from each team every day, while still continuing the regular testing on rest days and symptomatic testing as in the S.Yates case.

Random COVID-19 testing, bit like the usual random doping testing?

EkMd4ISWsAMvhnV

With so many other teams affected, it doesn't look great.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I agree at the moment, but where do we draw the line before it turns in to a farce? 5 teams? 6 teams?

Coming from Melbourne, I am surprised that any of this cycling is going on, considering the covid numbers in Europe. In the last fortnight we are barely averaging 10 new cases a day, and we have a grand total of 0 people in intensive care with the virus, yet we are in serious lockdown (to the extent where you cannot travel further than 5kms from home except for work). So it seems crazy how casually Europe appears to be taking it (though i also think that our restrictions are too extreme).

But since the race/s have started, I don't see a major reason why they should stop. Unless you double your number of hospital patients within a week or something.

Well, testing happens only on rest days
Coming from Melbourne, I am surprised that any of this cycling is going on, considering the covid numbers in Europe. In the last fortnight we are barely averaging 10 new cases a day, and we have a grand total of 0 people in intensive care with the virus, yet we are in serious lockdown (to the extent where you cannot travel further than 5kms from home except for work). So it seems crazy how casually Europe appears to be taking it (though i also think that our restrictions are too extreme).

But since the race/s have started, I don't see a major reason why they should stop. Unless you double your number of hospital patients within a week or something.

Yeah, my friend was in a forced quarantine in Melbourne with armed guards in the corridors........ if they tried to violate human rights in such way over here it wouldn't go over particularly well. Glad that sports are back to provide at least a bit of entertainment and sense of normalcy!

Reactions: gregrowlerson
2 riders is enough to justifiably carry on, I do worry a little about the effect on cyclists, the rona is no joke and due to the extreme nature of a GT their immune systems can’t exactly be ideal for fighting a virus.

On the other hand, due to a potential cancellation a couple of anonymous top 10 riders must be seeing their name in lights, ‘what if I can go for a mad one on those modest hills and they let me have it?’.

2 riders is enough to justifiably carry on, I do worry a little about the effect on cyclists, the rona is no joke and due to the extreme nature of a GT their immune systems can’t exactly be ideal for fighting a virus.

On the other hand, due to a potential cancellation a couple of anonymous top 10 riders must be seeing their name in lights, ‘what if I can go for a mad one on those modest hills and they let me have it?’.
I don't think this is the terrain where you make speculative attacks and nobody chaes. These are the hills that naturally bring the best guys to the fore. IMO the only chance for real crazy stuff is if Kelderman or Fuglsang attack on Colonella or Controguerra already.

If they leave it later, well the gaps in the 3rd Tirreno stage weren't very big and that murito was a lot harder than the final 2 climbs in this stage