• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 18: Pinzolo - Laghi di Cancano 207 km

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In whose bag is the queen stage of this Giro

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Antonio Nibali

Votes: 47 71.2%

• Total voters
Looking up the TT results:
Stage 1:
  • Almeida: 0:22
  • Bilbao 0:59
  • Hindley 1:15
  • Kelderman 1:28
  • Geoghegan 2:04
Stage 14:
  • Almeida 1:31
  • Kelderman 1:47
  • Geoghegan 2:24
  • Bilbao 2:53
  • Hindley 3:39
No idea what happened to TGH in the first TT (didn't go all out? That could be costly...), and yeah, stage 21 TTs can be weird, but I'm not seeing a big advantage for him on any of the other contenders.
Stage 1 was a start number lottery due to the wind.

Kelderman is a dumba**. Sorry but can't get around to like him... Stop being so candid with your stoopidity...

View: https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1319292363328507911?s=20

Talk about guaranteeing he doesn't on Saturday lmao

The more I think on it the more I think Tao rode a very mature race today. It would have been really easy to get desperate seeing pink so close but he managed two opponents well and if he has done it with enough reserved that he can still go hard again on the weekend that puts him in a great position

Am I alone in thinking Almeida isn't out of this? He's at 2.15, likely to gain 30s to 1.00 over all the others in the TT, and Sestrieres is a stage that will potentially reward tactical racing rather than just W/kg.

If there was a chance of echelons tomorrow, he'd be locked in.
I would argue its more likely that now he is not in pink anymore, he will lose further in Sestriere. But not totally out probably.

Reactions: richwallone
Talk about guaranteeing he doesn't on Saturday lmao

The more I think on it the more I think Tao rode a very mature race today. It would have been really easy to get desperate seeing pink so close but he managed two opponents well and if he has done it with enough reserved that he can still go hard again on the weekend that puts him in a great position

I disagree. He is arguably the favourite, at the very least he still has a very real chance to win. But he should have gone all out to bury Kelderman and not worried about the stage.

Reactions: jmdirt
Am I alone in thinking Almeida isn't out of this? He's at 2.15, likely to gain 30s to 1.00 over all the others in the TT, and Sestrieres is a stage that will potentially reward tactical racing rather than just W/kg.

If there was a chance of echelons tomorrow, he'd be locked in.
I doubt he'll gain a lot in the TT, last day of a 3rd week in first GT, surely the other guys endurance will come to play. Also Sestriere only looks straightforward because it replaces Agnello and Izoard, it's still a difficult mountain day where he can lose time if legs aren't there.

Looking up the TT results:
Stage 1:
  • Almeida: 0:22
  • Bilbao 0:59
  • Hindley 1:15
  • Kelderman 1:28
  • Geoghegan 2:04
Stage 14:
  • Almeida 1:31
  • Kelderman 1:47
  • Geoghegan 2:24
  • Bilbao 2:53
  • Hindley 3:39
No idea what happened to TGH in the first TT (didn't go all out? That could be costly...), and yeah, stage 21 TTs can be weird, but I'm not seeing a big advantage for him on any of the other contenders.

Worth also looking at Tirreno Adriatico's 10km flat ITT from September -

15 Kelderman 0:47
31 Geoghagan Hart 1:00
41 Hindley 1:06

I disagree. He is arguably the favourite, at the very least he still has a very real chance to win. But he should have gone all out to bury Kelderman and not worried about the stage.

If Tao loses this race by a few seconds then today wasn’t the problem, he put himself back in the race and kept Hindley within reach.

The problem was Sunday, he only had eyes on the stage win but may well have been able to attack and drop Kelderman, with Hindley at that point obviously pacing Kelderman.

Reactions: PeterB
If Tao loses this race by a few seconds then today wasn’t the problem, he put himself back in the race and kept Hindley within reach.

The problem was Sunday, he only had eyes on the stage win but may well have been able to attack and drop Kelderman, with Hindley at that point obviously pacing Kelderman.

Well, look at his awful performance on Stage 1's ITT. If he loses by a few seconds, there will be a thousand what ifs.

The problem with going all out is that it's not a given he drops Hindley who may still sit on and jump him and then beat him on Saturday by enough to survive a TT.

It would have been ideal to bury Kelderman here but I think after today if he's got more in the tank he's going to feel they can do it again on Saturday by enough to see this home vs Wilco while Hindley almost certainly needs to be in the lead before the TT.

Yep... 15 minute buffer for the last 50, or so, to arrive within the time limit:

How many riders are even left in the race? Yesterday had 136 finishers, but how many DNFs today?
Anyway; now 133 man has finished, and Boaro and Visconti are out... so... we're missing... one?

The problem with going all out is that it's not a given he drops Hindley who may still sit on and jump him and then beat him on Saturday by enough to survive a TT.

It would have been ideal to bury Kelderman here but I think after today if he's got more in the tank he's going to feel they can do it again on Saturday by enough to see this home vs Wilco while Hindley almost certainly needs to be in the lead before the TT.

Maybe it's even to TGH's advantage to have Kelderman in pink so that Sunweb have difficult decisions to make.

I doubt he'll gain a lot in the TT, last day of a 3rd week in first GT, surely the other guys endurance will come to play. Also Sestriere only looks straightforward because it replaces Agnello and Izoard, it's still a difficult mountain day where he can lose time if legs aren't there.
I know, a lot of what ifs, but I thought he looked fresher at the finish than Kelderman today, and I don't think his experience counts for much less than Hart and Hindley's (both only a couple of years older, neither of them have made a team selection for a TdF yet, none of the top 5 have been a team's GC leader in a GT before)

TRENDING THREADS