• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 18: Pinzolo - Laghi di Cancano 207 km

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In whose bag is the queen stage of this Giro

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Antonio Nibali

Votes: 47 71.2%

• Total voters
Just watched on catch up. Awesome stage that lived up to all the expectations. Where has Rohan Dennis been hiding that capability?

Hindley looked the strongest all the way up that final climb. Wonder how much time he could have put into Tao if he'd been let off the leash.

Bilbao made up alot of time there so once Dennis dropped they weren't going so fast in front.

Reactions: Cookster15
It looks like Sunweb scored an own goal today. I would imagine Kelderman could finish with Fuglsang if Hindley was there to help him.

Now they have Kelderman who rode for 9km up Stelvio alone, all down the descent alone, 9km in the valley alone, 10km to the finish alone, so will be more tired than Tao... And Hindley, who is a worse TTer than Tao and maybe can't drop him enough anyway.

It looks like Sunweb scored an own goal today. I would imagine Kelderman could finish with Fuglsang if Hindley was there to help him.

Now they have Kelderman who rode for 9km up Stelvio alone, all down the descent alone, 9km in the valley alone, 10km to the finish alone, so will be more tired than Tao... And Hindley, who is a worse TTer than Tao and maybe can't drop him enough anyway.
No he couldn't. He got dropped off the wheel

Kelderman got dropped off the wheel because he just spent 7km in the valley alone. Vs bilbao/fugl who weren't alone @Red Rick

So if Hindley waited, Kelderman would spare energy and would not have dropped to Bilbao and Fugl.
I think Kelderman was still the 3rd strongest GC man today, but had to spent more time on his own and therefore dropped behind Bilbao and Fugl..

Reactions: ppanther92
No he couldn't. He got dropped off the wheel
Yeah, I think that would have been a huge gamble to drop Hindley back to help Wilco. When it was happening, there was no way to know how badly Wilco was fading. He could have blown up altogether, and then Sunweb would have had Hindley wasting his GC chances to tow a cracked Wilco to a 3-minute deficit. Of course, it didn't turn out that way, and maybe in hindsight Kelderman could have finished with Fuglsang with Hindley helping, but there was no way to know this when the bleep was hitting the fan.

Yeah, I think that would have been a huge gamble to drop Hindley back to help Wilco. When it was happening, there was no way to know how badly Wilco was fading. He could have blown up altogether, and then Sunweb would have had Hindley wasting his GC chances to tow a cracked Wilco to a 3-minute deficit. Of course, it didn't turn out that way, and maybe in hindsight Kelderman could have finished with Fuglsang with Hindley helping, but there was no way to know this when the bleep was hitting the fan.
I see now that Hindley/TGH did the final climb over a minute slower than Bilbao? Yeah Sunweb would be so much worse off if Hindley had waited.

Reactions: yaco
15 Big Photos from Stage 18 (more to come) — corvos/rcs/bettini
http://www.steephill.tv/2020/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-18/

295-CORVOS_00032627-035.jpg

193-CORVOS_00032627-034.jpg

191-_ALP3904.jpg

http://www.steephill.tv/2020/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-18/

Kelderman got dropped off the wheel because he just spent 7km in the valley alone. Vs bilbao/fugl who weren't alone @Red Rick

So if Hindley waited, Kelderman would spare energy and would not have dropped to Bilbao and Fugl.
I think Kelderman was still the 3rd strongest GC man today, but had to spent more time on his own and therefore dropped behind Bilbao and Fugl..
If Hindley waits, TGH goes faster on the final climb cause he doesn't worry about getting dropped by Hindley. If Kelderman blew up that bad compared to 2 guys who were with 2, then that's his mistake.

Kelderman taking pink would be iffy if TGH has nobody to worry about. You're also left with one card to play that got beaten on the previous mountain stages.

This was a correct strategy, there was no other way for Sunweb but to keep Hindley with Tao and mark him all the way until finish... They just didn’t expect Kelderman to struggle in the last bits as much... If he didn’t, he’d have about a minute on Tao...

Btw, someone needs to teach him how zip a jacket, or Sunweb can maybe invest into Velcro zippers:p

Reactions: 42x16ss
To be honest, even in hindsight I think there's no way to tell whether it was the right call.
First he looked in control of the gap, then he looked to be absolutely bonking and a lost cause. Worst case scenario is that Hindley waits for Kelderman on Stelvio then it's too late to win for both of them and that can happen in no time flat. Today is the best outcome all things considering, especially since Hindley and TGH did the final climb pretty slow.

I think the worse decision was not letting Hindley try to get a gap yesterday.

I do think Hindley is stronger uphill than TGH but a worse ITTer so he probably needs to drop TGH. How much is the question for me.

Reactions: richwallone

TRENDING THREADS