• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, Stage 3: Enna – Etna 150 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would say that Tirreno fared considerably better than Österreich Rundfahrt, which may not be a surprise given that it is a much bigger race. I don't know the TV ratings, but at least judging from the media coverage and forum talk, the race was not completely forgotten about. In addition, I also sense that this year's Tour was less intensely followed by mainstream media and probably did not have the same universal audience as is usually the case when the race is held in july. However, the more niche audience for a race like Tirreno probably wasn't too affected.

Eir4jYkXsAA_ndV

What does your signature say btw?

Reactions: Sandisfan
^^I agree. I just wait until the foot of the final climb. Well, in the case of Etna, maybe halfway up.

I used to think unipuerto stages were good in general but I've come around to the point that you have to soften up the legs with some intermediate climbs or all you'll get is a 1 km uphill bunch sprint.

^^I agree. I just wait until the foot of the final climb. Well, in the case of Etna, maybe halfway up.

I used to think unipuerto stages were good in general but I've come around to the point that you have to soften up the legs with some intermediate climbs or all you'll get is a 1 km uphill bunch sprint.

I’ve no objection to them as a way to allow some gaps to be created without making every climbing stage a brute. Even assuming that today is just an attrition climb until 2km to go it serves a purpose. But it‘s not exactly enthralling stuff until the very end.

Reactions: Bolder and Red Rick
I’ve no objection to them as a way to allow some gaps to be created without making every climbing stage a brute. Even assuming that today is just an attrition climb until 2km to go it serves a purpose. But it‘s not exactly enthralling stuff until the very end.
Most MTF stages end up as functionally unipuerto for action anyway. Expecting anything more from a stage 3 MTF is really weird. Wanting some moderate climbing before for softening legs is fine, but I'd argue that on a 50 minute climb that doesn't matter all that much either.

Most MTF stages end up as functionally unipuerto for action anyway. Expecting anything more from a stage 3 MTF is really weird. Wanting some moderate climbing before for softening legs is fine, but I'd argue that on a 50 minute climb that doesn't matter all that much either.

all true, but having some other climbing, even if there’s no chance of the GC boys going nuts this early, would at least potentially add a bit of mystery about the fate of the break.