• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023, stage 11: Camaiore - Tortona 219 km

As posted by Eshnar - appears I finally go the copy pasting thing down

Stage 11: Camaiore – Tortona 219 km

Wednesday, May 17th, 11:25 – 17:10 CEST

WXYf4NTOM5WRc97kX099_180423-085213.jpg

WiL7RQdRRY32aGWkbveV_180423-085234.jpg

Technical Overview:

A long (the longest, in fact) transitional stage crossing the Appennines one last time, in just about the simplest way possible. The day starts on the coast, in Camaiore, and heads north-west the whole time. At first, the riders will follow the coast with some incursions inland, including the first intermediate sprint and a passage on one of the oldest climbs of the Giro, the mythical Passo del Bracco (GPM3, 10.2 km at 4.4%), which nowadays is little more threatening than a bump on the road. Its descent leads to a short section on the Ligurian coast before leaving the sea for good and heading towards the second climb of the day, Colla di Boasi (GPM3, 9.3 km at 4.2%). After this, a gentle descending valley eventually bring to the second sprint and the final climb of the day, Passo della Castagnola (GPM4, 5.1 km at 4.6%). Needless to say, none of this should be particularly hard for the peloton, especially with the final 38 km being completely flat, or even slightly descending, towards the line in Tortona.

NlrSJC18QSJoopKpdFEg_180423-085410.jpg

The Climbs:

Passo del Bracco
: GPM3, 10.2 km at 4.4%

Due to its position and the lack of alternatives, it is one of the most used passes in Giro history, having been present even in the very first edition of 1909. Nowadays, it cannot be considered as much of a challenge. Profile from Cyclingcols.com

BraccoE.gif

Colla di Boasi: GPM3, 9.3 km at 4.2%

A rather long but very gentle climb. No profile.

Passo della Castagnola: GPM4, 5.1 km at 4.6%

Two km at 7% following some false flat. Profile from Cyclingcols.com

CastagnolaE.gif

What to Expect:

The mass sprint will be hard to avoid. Maybe a big breakaway can make it, but it is unlikely as long as there are sprinter teams willing to chase.

tortona-piedmont-italy-2_orig.jpg

Duomo di Tortona

The longest GT stage this year at a whopping 219 kilometers! Why not spice it up with some very long stages interspersed with very short days so it all averages out?

To be fair. This Giro is actually better than most GTs when it comes this. Most flat or hilly stages are at least in the 190+ km range. So far we had four stage with 200+ km. And it is working wonders. Combined with cold and rainy weather they are exactly the kind of attrional element a GT needs.

To be fair. This Giro is actually better than most GTs when it comes this. Most flat or hilly stages are at least in the 190+ km range. So far we had four stage with 200+ km. And it is working wonders. Combined with cold and rainy weather they are exactly the kind of attrional element a GT needs.
Yes, indeed I like this Giro although the weather seems to be a little harsh, I‘m more annoyed with the other two GTs for their limited range of stages.

The weather is bad, many riders are sick or not feeling too good, and the design comes to the rescue with a couple of flat-ish stages. I can go back to Jan Raas winning a 338 km stage to Bordeaux, so 219 km isn't that long, but since I've never ridden a bike for 219 km, let alone in a three-week race, that's about right for me. It still is a serious test and some riders will use it to recover...while still riding 219 km. Sprint. Mads.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Cavendish will win this bike race.

Or he should get a shot. Should be a nailed on sprint, this is the final chance before like stage 17. Should be warmer, should be a headwind in the finale, the climbs aren't so ahrd that it should entice a strong breakaway.
He’s got to get one of these :frowning:

As long as Astana don’t listen to Voigt who said Cav needs to win at least 2 stages to be taken to the Tour :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS