• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2023, stage 16: Sabbio Chiese - Monte Bondone 203 km

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As things stand, at least until today, the current 3rd best grand tour GC rider is Geraint Thomas, right?
In terms of achievements? Still clearly below Froome, Pogi and Nairo (if counted as not retired) as well as potentially Bernal and Roglic (depending on how to rank TdF podiums vs wins in Giro/Vuelta).
In terms of abilities also below Pog, Vingegaard, Remco and Roglic (although very hard to tell with Roglic at the moment).

In terms of achievements? Still clearly below Froome, Pogi and Nairo (if counted as not retired) as well as potentially Bernal and Roglic (depending on how to rank TdF podiums vs wins in Giro/Vuelta).
In terms of abilities also below Pog, Vingegaard, Remco and Roglic (although very hard to tell with Roglic at the moment).

Okay, I know no one will agree anyway😁

Also forgot that Froome and Nairo haven't retired.

Well, we finally got some action and given the action that we got, I think I rather preferred it when nothing was happening, then I was only getting annoyed rather than my blood boiling itself to a Jimmi Briceño-level viscosity.

Addy Engels is still a complete moron, using surgical precision to calculate the perfect way to use Kuss to the least amount of benefit to his own team imaginable. Geraint Thomas is still somebody that if he had a different flag next to his name he'd be wearing a fluorescent jersey and we'd all be laughing about him for two weeks every August. Every commentator and pundit should be fired.

I'm going for a walk, I need to touch some grass.

Well, we finally got some action and given the action that we got, I think I rather preferred it when nothing was happening, then I was only getting annoyed rather than my blood boiling itself to a Jimmi Briceño-level viscosity.

Addy Engels is still a complete moron, using surgical precision to calculate the perfect way to use Kuss to the least amount of benefit to his own team imaginable. Geraint Thomas is still somebody that if he had a different flag next to his name he'd be wearing a fluorescent jersey and we'd all be laughing about him for two weeks every August. Every commentator and pundit should be fired.

If he had a different flag next to his name, and his name was Sanchez or Rossi, you'd be beside yourself with excitement.

Chapeau to Almeida & UAE, who did, with Jumbo, most of the work on the front when it mattered (did de Plus & Arensman do any work on the front?). Thomas in pink and he can just follow now until stage 20, but UAE could put Ineos under pressure.
Most interesting info today was Jens saying that Pasqualon thinks 60 to 80% of the peloton is sick. I did wonder if the teams were weaker then normal as apposed to playing tactical games (which might explain Leknessund & Dunbar doing so well). Roglic can normally follow so I think he is suffering or recovering from something.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
i'm surprised the 'Eddie Dunbar is the next Dan Martin' thread isn't going ballistic,
he was a very promising espoir, but there’s nothing like a few years as an anonymous junior domestique at Ineos to make people less excited about a rider. i think a few people were a bit surprised that Jayco picked him up to be a leader and then gave him leadership at the Giro despite an injury troubled build up, but they look pretty smart now.

In my mind's eye, I have two images of Thomas.

Geraint-Thomas-decking-it-still-taken-from-YouTube-video.jpg

skysports-geraint-thomas-michael-woods_5362649.jpg

TRENDING THREADS