• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I posted the table above, but here is also a slightly better looking one

on2H2zk.png
Wtf were they thinking? :tearsofjoy:

Well there is buzz for this Giro as far as I am concerned :rolleyes: . I am intrigued to see how Pogacar goes, only because he is attempting the double and what we have already seen of him this season. Old man Geraint Thomas sounds like he is targeting a strong race. But as an Australian I am hoping Ben O'Conner delivers in the race for best of the rest.

A 222km opening stage with serious lumps followed by an MTF on stage 2 means this Giro will start wih a bang. No chance of being bored for two weeks waiting for a heavily bank-ended GT to finally deliver action. Oropa looks an irregular climb and that should advantage the more explosive Pogacar compared to the diesel Thomas for example.

Well there is buzz for this Giro as far as I am concerned :rolleyes: . I am intrigued to see how Pogacar goes, only because he is attempting the double and what we have already seen of him this season. Old man Geraint Thomas sounds like he is targeting a strong race. But as an Australian I am hoping Ben O'Conner delivers in the race for best of the rest.

A 222km opening stage with serious lumps followed by an MTF on stage 2 means this Giro will start wih a bang. No chance of being bored for two weeks waiting for a heavily bank-ended GT to finally deliver action. Oropa looks an irregular climb and that should advantage the more explosive Pogacar compared to the diesel Thomas for example.
The opening stage is 140 km.

Reactions: Cookster15

It could be 7% all the way with virtually zero gradient deviation and it would still favour Pogacar massively over Thomas because of the talent gap.

Reactions: Cookster15
I posted the table above, but here is also a slightly better looking one

on2H2zk.png
I think most of this is actually fine, but who on earth thought it would be a good idea to award points for the points classification at the intergiro sprint but not at the 2nd intermediate sprint? That and different time bonification rules for different intermediate sprints is a perfect way to confuse viewers. Just let the two intermediate sprints have the same rule. Really no need to complicate things like this.

I think most of this is actually fine, but who on earth thought it would be a good idea to award points for the points classification at the intergiro sprint but not at the 2nd intermediate sprint? That and different time bonification rules for different intermediate sprints is a perfect way to confuse viewers. Just let the two intermediate sprints have the same rule. Really no need to complicate things like this.
regarding the normal intermediate sprints, they basically kept the rules from the past editions: points at the 1st sprint, seconds at the 2nd.

So this new intergiro sprint doesn't only add another classification, but also comes wit more bonus seconds and more ciclamino points than in the last couple of years. No idea why they thought this was necessary. Probably to give it some kind of importance, at least?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Who's going to be the first GC guy to try to win bonus seconds in the first sprint without knowing that it doesn't actually awards any bonus seconds?

Ben O Connor ...he usually looks like he just fell out of bed and he doesn't know where he is and what's going on

I think Pog will tie this up early and then his team will go to work and he will if he is wise take a back seat and be the best wheel sucker since we lost Bala. He needs to do this before facing Vinge in July

But cycling is cycling and who the hell knows what will go down. I will be looking out for the old guys v the young guys in the battle for the best of the rest. Might also get some good races for stages. Alaphilipe will be trying to bag a few

I think Pog will tie this up early and then his team will go to work and he will if he is wise take a back seat and be the best wheel sucker since we lost Bala. He needs to do this before facing Vinge in July

If Vinge does race the TdF I can’t see him being a threat. Recovering from the massive injuries he suffered in Itzulia is nothing like recovery during the 3rd week of a grand tour that he has become feared for. His training has already been interrupted more than Pogacar after his LBL crash last year.

Reactions: AnotherArmChair
Is anyone who speaks Dutch able to provide a short summary of the interview with Vansevenant yesterday?

Did I get it right, that his main aim is go for stages, but he may also try to hang on in GC and potentially take pink from a breakaway?
He expects a spectacular start with big differences already in the first two stages. He expects UAE to immediately take control and he'll try to follow as long as possible.

He will try to go in breakaways from stage 6 onwards.

He will try to go for stages but he won't lose time on purpose because a few years ago he was close to the pink jersey so he feels it's better to try to stay close in GC and see what is possible.

So yeah, basically how you understood it. :)