• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vegni says they will start looking for alternatives tomorrow

Italy is the ProcrastiNation, great organization by RCS

So let me get this straight.... They are going to try and use Umbrail Pass (Switzerland's highest pass) last minute, but they couldn't get the Swiss authorities to clear the roads on the Forcola di Livigno, which is 200m lower in altitude..... Make that make sense.
Especially because the Swiss side of Livigno is the south side and almost completely just the Berninapass climb and the Swiss side of Umbrail is the northern side. Still, though, I think Umbrail usually opens earlier.

Reactions: ashhutch1997
Still plenty of time for RCS to change it again.
I think they are really stuck right now, given the limited options to go from Livigino. It'll be interesting how they can suddenly clear the Umbrail Passs, but wouldn't clear the Gavia (2019), Fedaia and Pordoi (2021) and the Grand Saint Bernard last year, when there was an easier route that they could do each time...... Goes to show that Vengi just doesn't want hassle with clearing these passes when there's an easy option available.
If this is the case, just give us really good low altitude route like 2015, rather than disappointing fans every year..

Reactions: Escarabajo
I think they are really stuck right now, given the limited options to go from Livigino. It'll be interesting how they can suddenly clear the Umbrail Passs, but wouldn't clear the Gavia (2019), Fedaia and Pordoi (2021) and the Grand Saint Bernard last year, when there was an easier route that they could do each time...... Goes to show that Vengi just doesn't want hassle with clearing these passes when there's an easy option available.
If this is the case, just give us really good low altitude route like 2015, rather than disappointing fans every year..
None of the 4 examples you mentioned were about clearing snow for a race in good weather. Gavia had active snow on top and risk of avalanches, Fedaia, Pordoi and GSB were all raceable but riders where throwing hissy fits

Can someone shed some light on the difference between the two mountains. Are they the same one or they both take different roads?
5U7r7mq.jpeg

They come from Bormio and go over Umbrail towards Santa Maria Val Müstair instead of going over Stelvio towards Prato allo Stelvio.

So they will climb this profile:
UmbrailS.gif

Instead of climbing this one:
StelvioS.gif

Weather disappointing at the Giro again. Stelvio is epic and good for the sport with the pictures it brings. Made more famous outside cycling by Top Gear when they rated it the best driving road (in Europe?). Don't know much about Umbrail Pass.

Do they always plan an alternative route before the Giro and if so, do they keep the teams informed? I don't like the idea of a low altitude Giro :( .

I also now know why Devils Elbow didn't write anything about stage 13 :( .

Weather disappointing at the Giro again. Stelvio is epic and good for the sport with the pictures it brings. Made more famous outside cycling by Top Gear when they rated it the best driving road (in Europe?). Don't know much about Umbrail Pass.

Do they always plan an alternative route before the Giro and if so, do they keep the teams informed? I don't like the idea of a low altitude Giro :( .

I also now know why Devils Elbow didn't write anything about stage 13 :( .

Most of Umbrail pass ascent is actually Stelvio west so there will be some nice hairpins pics. The epic Stelvio east descent (with views on giant Ortler massif) will be missing though (anyway Stelvio is better to tackle the other direction and closer to the end of the stage, which almost never happens).

Can someone shed some light on the difference between the two mountains. Are they the same one or they both take different roads?
They come from Bormio and go over Umbrail towards Santa Maria Val Müstair instead of going over Stelvio towards Prato allo Stelvio.
here's also ne new stage map from the Giro. Blue route is the original one:

pxpQ3Ju.jpeg

so yeah: same climb, same road, they just turn north ~2.5k from the top of the Stelvio and take a detour through Switzerland.

here's also ne new stage map from the Giro. Blue route is the original one:

pxpQ3Ju.jpeg

so yeah: same climb, same road, they just turn north ~2.5k from the top of the Stelvio and take a detour through Switzerland.
Wow, so they could if they wanted have a future Giro stage that finishes with Umbrail & Stelvio passes back-to-back? Sorry, I’m sure this has been discussed a zillion times in the route design thread.