• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 10: Avellino - Bitonto (230km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
Assuming all riders is equal and considering there're 182 riders left, you got a on out of 3365771970722154761040 chance....

Sorry, couldn't help it :eek:

yeah because in cycling there is an equal chance any of the riders will finish top 15

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Finally, the Giro is producing a stage to match California for sheer tedium.
Tranquillo, tranquillo as the Sun is shinning...

....according to Eurosport, reported today, Contador on the Giro: " A lovely, beautiful race, missing not being there....."
Will be riding next year..........

This is why I like Bertie. I think he genuinely enjoys racing. To be part of beautiful, interesting races. Looking forward to see him at the Giro again. I hope his schedule in the future will be less dictated by strategies to target certain races such as the TdF.

Cobblestones said:
This is why I like Bertie. I think he genuinely enjoys racing. To be part of beautiful, interesting races. Looking forward to see him at the Giro again. I hope his schedule in the future will be less dictated by strategies to target certain races such as the TdF.

Interesting point there. When GC contenders have won the TdF twice, maybe their calendar should be thrown completely open. Caution to the wind. Do something different.

What's the point in going for 8 Ts d F? Two are plenty, he doesn't need to prove he fluked one. AC should as of 2011 refocus on winning his first Paris-Roubaix. ;)

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Kender said:
yeah because in cycling there is an equal chance any of the riders will finish top 15

No. But I really didn't want to find data on all of the riders and begin to estimate how well they do compared to each other.

Mellow Velo said:
Finally, the Giro is producing a stage to match California for sheer tedium.
Tranquillo, tranquillo as the Sun is shinning...

This is the 'informal rest day', I guess. I wish they'd make it a proper informal rest day and leave the breaks to have some fun like the stage with Boom winning in the Vuelta and José Vicente Garçia Acosta controlling it, bringing the bunch in 23 minutes down.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Interesting point there. When GC contenders have won the TdF twice, maybe their calendar should be thrown completely open. Caution to the wind. Do something different.

What's the point in going for 8 Ts d F? Two are plenty, he doesn't need to prove he fluked one. AC should as of 2011 refocus on winning his first Paris-Roubaix. ;)

PR might not be the best race to target. In the case of Bertie it's difficult to find something new. He did the TdF twice. Might be a third time this year. He already has the Giro/Vuelta double, PN etc.

Anyway, he should be free to target whichever race he wants. Personally, I would find it boring to target the same race over and over again.

L'arriviste said:

Same as Cancellara. Now he's won the Worlds TT 18 times and Paris-Roubaix and Flanders more times that LA has started them, re-set the focus and have a go at something else. Branch out a little. Once you've won something three times, to keep returning and focussing on that one event/series is a little... boring, for both fans and rider*.

* except those riders who don't actually like the sport and just want the rewards from it.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
PR might not be the best race to target. In the case of Bertie it's difficult to find something new. He did the TdF twice. Might be a third time this year. He already has the Giro/Vuelta double, PN etc.

Anyway, he should be free to target whichever race he wants. Personally, I would find it boring to target the same race over and over again.

he should come ride the tour of southland

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
several reasons

1) they have been out front so long they may as well last as long as possible

2) sponsors still getting coverage (this is a job for them after all)

3) the peloton might make a mistake or have some distruption (like the crash we just saw)

4) their directors told them not to

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
oh forgot...

while they are out front they still have a slim chance of victory. as soon as they get brought back into the bunch they have no chance

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
the catch won't be all smooth sailing by the looks of those 3 guys. they been soft pedalling most of the time they been out front. gonna make the peloton work for it

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
oh forgot...

while they are out front they still have a slim chance of victory. as soon as they get brought back into the bunch they have no chance

The gap went up. But really, 2' with 35 km to go. The chances are what? one in 340294757204359760 or whatever was quoted earlier?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
the catch won't be all smooth sailing by the looks of those 3 guys. they been soft pedalling most of the time they been out front. gonna make the peloton work for it

Or the peloton doesn't want to catch them yet?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
The gap went up. But really, 2' with 35 km to go. The chances are what? one in 340294757204359760 or whatever was quoted earlier?

50/50 if you look at stage 5. break was away by slightly more with 35km to go and survived. it's been a wierd giro so far, you just never know

but yeah, i'd say they'll be caught. peloton already let 2 escape groups win so they'll be more careful with their catch

just as i type this the gap down to 1:39 with 29km to go

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
50/50 if you look at stage 5. break was away by slightly more with 35km to go and survived. it's been a wierd giro so far, you just never know

but yeah, i'd say they'll be caught. peloton already let 2 escape groups win so they'll be more careful with their catch

just as i type this the gap down to 1:39 with 29km to go

Down to 1'18". They could catch them within a few km if they wanted. Maybe someone is going to bridge soon to make it interesting?

TRENDING THREADS