• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 10: Avellino - Bitonto (230km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Moondance said:
With the final 50km or so being largely flat or downhill, I can't really look past a sprint finish. Perhaps a large multi-team breakaway (like on stage 8) might have enough collective strength to have a go over the stage, because no team will have an incentive to chase early, but even then it's no guarantee. Certainly I don't think a 3-5 man group could survive an entire 230km stage on the attack...Potentially in bad weather too. I'll go with Farrar, just for kicks.

NAILED IT!

Got it pretty much spot on... I like it.

Amazing job by Dean btw. Nearly took it himself too.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sutton was well placed but Hendy lost his wheel somewhere in there.

Great lead-out by Dean, and great sprint by Farrar. I predicted the result correctly for once!

A

Anonymous

therhodeo said:
Great job of placing himself before the sprint as well.

Yea, he rode well throughout as did the team. As everyone has noted, special recognition to Dean. That was one wicked burst of speed.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Slightly technical last few kilometers. Farrar won it easily.

Pretty dull stage. Tomorrow should prove to be a different state of affairs due to length and some hills.

someone will lose time tomorrow.

i didn't expect much of a stage today.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Pretty dull stage.
All the talk of making mountain stages shorter, but imo it should be the sprinting stages that are shorter - instead of a boring 250 km slog with all the action in the final 200m, make the flat stages short and sweet, like 100 km or so. Added bonus is that a shorter distance would probably increase the chances for successful breakaways, too.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I don't mind these narrow finishes with a few bends, seems to work against the HTC Train.

Farrar and Garmin too good, nice to see Bobridge taking some pulls.

Starting their leadout at 10k out is what works against HTC.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday, Julian Dean got caught behind a crash, and Farrar came third (granted not a pure sprinter's finish). Today, Julian Dean reported present and correct, and Farrar won handily.

Farrar clearly has the measure of pretty much everyone at the race in speed terms, but the importance of a good pilot fish cannot be overstated. See: FredRod/McEwen, Renshaw/Cavendish. Interesting that Julian Dean and Mark Renshaw are both former Thor Hushovd lead-out men, he clearly knows how to teach 'em.