• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 16: San Vigilio di Marebbe - Kronplatz (ITT) 12.9km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Kronplatz TT?

• Other, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 6, 2009
Visit site
So, I can assume the non climbers and Chrono riders will be muttering: "Zomegnan è un pezzo di merda" or "Zomegnan vaffanculo" as they climb?

:eek:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So, I can assume the non climbers and Chrono riders will be muttering: "Zomegnan è un pezzo di merda" or "Zomegnan vaffanculo" as they climb?

:eek:

Everybody has been muttering that the entire Giro so far :)

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Inner Peace said:
Evans for the win

Mountain ITT is different to Mountain stage

If a 200km stage finished here, i'd give it to Basso, Nibali, Sastre or Scarponi as they respond better to changes of pace

Since it's a TT, I give it to Evans - I think he's the best individual climber here if allowed to go at his consistent pace

Evans
Nibali/Sastre at 30seconds
Basso/Scarponi at 45sec - 1 minute
Vino/Arroyo at 2 minutes
Porte/Gerdemman at 3 minutes
Basso is hardly the model of the aggressive climber making attack after attack, constantly changing the pace. He's a diesel and he dropped Evans yesterday more by grinding him down than by making any really hard attacks. He should do well in an uphill TT. I give it to Basso, and I certainly don't see him loosing out to Nibali and Sastre in his and their current forms.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Highly unlikely, as the Kronplatz is similar to the Zoncolan is thoughness. The gravel roads don't really add much advantage to Evans if you think so.
But I guess you only hope that and don't think that

Think that. I don't think it will be a minute but more like half a minute.
LugHugger said:
he won't based on today's evidence :(

Today's evidence? To come 2nd on zoncolan i thought was better than expected especially after yesteday's effort he made and his "rumoured" cold.

Mellow Velo said:
Trialists have the adavantage?
This is what happened last time ...

1 Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) 40.26 (19.142 km/h)
2 Emanuele Sella (CSF Group Navigare) 40.32
3 Gilberto Simoni (Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni) 40.43
4 Alberto Contador Velasco (Astana) 40.48
5 Riccardo Riccò (Saunier Duval - Scott) 40.56
6 José Rujano Guillen (Caisse d’Epargne) 41.15
7 Marzio Bruseghin (Lampre) 41.30
8 Domenico Pozzovivo (CSF Group Navigare) 42.09
9 Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes) 42.11
10 Denis Menchov (Rabobank) 42.15

Not a whole bunch of trialists in there, just a couple of all rounders, with a bunch of mountain goats.

11 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC +01.55
13 Evgeny Petrov (Rus) Tinkoff Credit Systems +02.17
14 Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Team CSC +2.18

if it has been a regular mountain finsih these guys would definitely lose 5+ so there must be an advantage,

search said:

if it has been a regular mountain finsih these guys would definitely lose 5+ so there must be an advantage,

Well, time trialers are known to be excellent at keeping a steady pace within their limits (= not cracking), and all the aforementioned are absolutely decent climbers as well.

Of course some of the good TT'ers with climbing skills will do good tuesday, but guys like Lang, Stamsnijder and Konovalovas f.i. won't perform on Kronplatz just because they're capable of flat time trialing.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
search said:

It might come down to the fact that in a regular mountain stage they would have been exhausted by the earlier climbs whereas the actual contenders would have found the pace in the early climbs to be well within their limits and would therefore climbs at a similar pace whether there had been prior climbs or not.

/speculation

ETA: also as Kazistuta says they're not exactly horrible climbers.

And ask Larsson if he found it demanding. the one thing i remember best about that stage is his face coming up to the finish, don't think i've seen a cyclist hurt so much. he just about killed himself.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
don't know if it was mentioned, half of kronplatz is a dirt road making proper gearing and tyre selection even more critical. if a giant like voigt could do well, i dont think that being a pure climber will predetermine one to doing well in this tt.

vino will be up there perhaps 3d but the win should go to basso.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the last stage I think if you ignore the early accelerations and look to see who climbed best in the second half of the climb you could find your winner.

For me Basso, Scarponi, Cunego and Sastre are the ones who can win.

When Evans was finally dropped by Basso and had to set his own pace he lost quite a bit of time and was almost caught by Scarponi. Cunego did a very good ride too going past Vino and Sastre, as always, couldn't handle the early pace but rode brilliantly to minimize losses.

I'll go for

1) Scarponi
2) Basso
3) Sastre
4) Cunego
5) Evans

John Gadret could be an good darkhorse.

Bala Verde said:
Anyone going to finish outside the time limit?

6 did last time but that was the day before a rest day rather than the day after. Maybe everyone will be that bit fresher this time so that fewer will be eliminated.

Outside time limit (Hors Delai)

HD Raivis Belohvosciks (Lat) Saunier Duval - Scott 51.18
HD Mathew Hayman (Aus) Rabobank 51.19
HD Paolo Bossoni (Ita) Lampre 51.41
HD Christopher Sutton (Aus) Slipstream Chipotle Presented By H30 52.35
HD Lander Aperribay (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 52.40
HD Thomas Fothen (Ger) Gerolsteiner 53.48

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008//giro08/?id=results/giro0816

As to the BMC remark above, all four made it in yesterday with the final one finishing 130th out of 157 finishers. Looks like they should be around for a while yet.

python said:
don't know if it was mentioned, half of kronplatz is a dirt road making proper gearing and tyre selection even more critical. if a giant like voigt could do well, i dont think that being a pure climber will predetermine one to doing well in this tt.

vino will be up there perhaps 3d but the win should go to basso.

Actually ALL of Kronplatz is a dirt road. The first 7km or so is the Passo Furcia, before they turn left onto Plan de Corones proper.

Be interesting to see what the best time is tomorrow. I think the course is just about identical to that taken in 2008. On that occasion the TT was the day before the rest day, this time its the day after. Pellizotti won last time with a 40.26

EDIT: Just looking Pinotti's twitter, he has done a recon today. I imagine many of the top guys will do so although maybe some of the ones lower down the field would rather not know what is coming!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Basso has clearly shown to be the strongest climber followed by Cadel, but the only MTT I've seen Basso do, he didn't do anything until passed by Armstrong. For the sake of the race I'm hoping for Cadel by 30 seconds, and Arroyo and Porte to hang tough and Sastre to do something.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Connor Pass said:
Looking at the last stage I think if you ignore the early accelerations and look to see who climbed best in the second half of the climb you could find your winner.

For me Basso, Scarponi, Cunego and Sastre are the ones who can win.

When Evans was finally dropped by Basso and had to set his own pace he lost quite a bit of time and was almost caught by Scarponi. Cunego did a very good ride too going past Vino and Sastre, as always, couldn't handle the early pace but rode brilliantly to minimize losses.

I'll go for

1) Scarponi
2) Basso
3) Sastre
4) Cunego
5) Evans

John Gadret could be an good darkhorse.

Agree some what. I do think Scarponi will win followed by Basso but then I think it will be evans and cunego. I think Satre will win the queen stage.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Anyone going to finish outside the time limit?

6 didn't make it in time last time including Hayman and Sutton who are in this years race.

EDIT: I see I spent too much time reading the results and I got beaten to it