• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 16: San Vigilio di Marebbe - Kronplatz (ITT) 12.9km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Kronplatz TT?

• Other, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Actually ALL of Kronplatz is a dirt road. The first 7km or so is the Passo Furcia, before they turn left onto Plan de Corones proper.

if you personally rode it and posted pictures id be inclined to take your word.

until then i will go with cyclismag statements about the surface and the video posted earlier clearly showing hard surface and dirt surface.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think Evans will win, because of the rest day. If it was run today I would have picked Basso.

Evans to gain back 20 to 30 seconds on Basso which will make the last 4 big stages very interesting.

I don't think that Evans can afford to lose anymore time if he is going to win because I can't see him gaining time in too many places other than tomorrow and the last stage.

python said:
if you personally rode it and posted pictures id be inclined to take your word.

until then i will go with cyclismag statements about the surface and the video posted earlier clearly showing hard surface and dirt surface.

The climb to Plan de Corones is what they're doing, right? Same as they did in 2008. 7km on actual roads, then 5km on the dirt roads.

The first 7km is the Passo Furcia. They climbed this as a stage finish in 2006. It is only that last 5km, on dirt roads, which is called Kronplatz. The Passo Furcia continues back downhill once they've turned onto the Kronplatz.

Just like the Alto del Navacerrada is a climb in and of itself, but next year will be simply one part of a much larger climb to Bola del Mundo.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passo_Furcia

from Marebbe to Valdaora.

When I said all of Kronplatz was dirt roads, it was because I was being pedantic, as only that last 5km of dirt roads is officially Kronplatz.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
When I said all of Kronplatz was dirt roads, it was because I was being pedantic, as only that last 5km of dirt roads is officially Kronplatz.

if being pedantic is the justification for missing the main point of my post - that the mountain tt surface was about 50% dirt road and the gearing and the tyre selection will be critical - then ok.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I voted Basso. But it is a tricky one. Rain and gravel boosted Cadel last week, again that psychological thing with Cadel that seems more prominent than in other riders. I think the extra 10% came from his self belief derived from his Mt Bike experience (probably more so than the physical techniques he learned).

But:
Maybe Basso feeds of testing his oponents and pacing is much more about loosing the pack and then beating the one or two others with him before breaking free to get to the finish line. I am sure he gets an adrenaline boost from this and his self-belief in this drives him along (a bit like Contador maybe). Without such a competitor and psychological boost in a ITT? not sure.

Libertine Seguros said:
1) you think Evans is a better consistent pace climber than Sastre? Evans is good but we haven't really seen much of him climbing on his own, especially not out front, to tell.

Evans: a grinder; I agree with you that we haven't seen a lot of him climbing on his own. He can grind out a flat ITT. I think it will be fits and starts with him as he fights himself. Up out of the saddle with a fast pace and then down into it (slows a bit, realises he is losing pace) up out of the saddle again to grind again and wobble like a drunken sailor, then "Oh my goodness I am so tired" and down again, and repeat. If he blocks out his mind a bit I think he could have the body to do it (but this is also dependant on the all important recovery which he often speaks about).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yup the 'it suits time triallists more' about the Kronplatz can be disregarded imho.
Because if Sella, Ricco and Pozzovivo are in the top 10 last time, then I think that says everything there is to say

agreed. This is a climber's stage no doubt.

search said:
11 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC +01.55
13 Evgeny Petrov (Rus) Tinkoff Credit Systems +02.17
14 Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Team CSC +2.18

if it has been a regular mountain finsih these guys would definitely lose 5+ so there must be an advantage,

Time trailers are able to pace themselves well, and thus limit their loses. Not to mention these guys aren't that bad at climbing. Better example please..

I think some people are overrating the gravel factor.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I think some people are overrating the gravel factor.

Agreed. Proof: Rujano was 6th two years ago while doing nothing anywhere else in the Giro. If the gravel had any effect, he would've been a lot worse, being so light.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Isn't it simply
- if you can climb very well and ITT reasonably well, you'll do ok
- if you can ITT very well and climb reasonably well, you'll do ok
- if you can't do either or aren't in shape you'll blow
- if you can do both and are in shape, you'll do great

And for the record:
Plan de Corones ITT 2008

91. [GBR] MILLAR David TSL 06'22"
92. [CZE] RABON Frantisek THR 06'24"
99. [GBR] WIGGINS Bradley THR 06'43"
(that's pre-magic transformation Wiggo)

Scanuppia is impossible
Scanuppia_-_Malga_Palazzo_profile.jpg

Brown to go on foot?

I´ve watched some videos, I do not think that it is 45, or if, then just few meters on some turn.

I tried to think what would actually happen if Giro indeed would use Scanuppia like climb and I am not so sure it would be intresting. If you can walk or run quicker, whats the point of the bike race...

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
Does KRONplatz have anything to do with time, linguistically?
Good question. My best guess would be that it is linguistically related to 'Krone' which is a cognate of the word crown. The Italian is 'Plan De Corones', with Corones being related to 'corona', which means crown in Latin.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Its a single climb stage and the previous winner also dominated blockhaus another major single climb stage, there is a correlation, Sastre will suffer and Basso to a lesser extent, given Arroyo came top 10 overall he was 17 on blockhaus losing over 3 so he may also suffer, so im changing to predicting Evans and Vino doing well, i get the impreesion Nibali will as well, he was 3rd on a single climb like verbier so by that logic and factoring in form:

Evans
Basso @ 20 (he is in epic form)
Vino @ 30 (yeah its steep but hes explosive and suited to a short 40 min effort)
Cunego @ 30 (his form is equally good)
Nibali @ 50
Sastre @ 1 20"

i also think scarponi will drop out big time he just looks so nervous and worried! I can see him being up 30 half way up then dropping time hand over fist, we ll see i guess on form he would be around Vino

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
Does KRONplatz have anything to do with time, linguistically?

I think most mountains in the region (South Tyrol) have names in both german and italian. Krone is german for crown.
So the linguistical meaning of Kronplatz is probably "Place of the Crown"/Crown Place" or something like that.

trompe le monde said:
Good question. My best guess would be that it is linguistically related to 'Krone' which is a cognate of the word crown. The Italian is 'Plan De Corones', with Corones being related to 'corona', which means crown in Latin.

kjetilraknerud said:
I think most mountains in the region (South Tyrol) have names in both german and italian. Krone is german for crown.
So the linguistical meaning of Kronplatz is probably "Place of the Crown"/Crown Place" or something like that.
Cool. Makes perfect sense.