• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 16: San Vigilio di Marebbe - Kronplatz (ITT) 12.9km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Kronplatz TT?

• Other, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pantani_lives said:
The Kronplatz is very much comparable to the Zoncolan, so I think Basso, Evans ans Scarponi will be the top three again, probably in that order. If Basso extends his advantage on Evans today, he will be the big favorite for the final victory.

From your mouth to God's ears.. ;)

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I'd like to believe him, but I have to say I've been disappointed with Wiggins this Giro. His prologue win was great, as was his single attack in the mountains, but I was really hoping to see a glimpse of the kind of climbing form he will need to mix it with Contador and the Schlecks this July, and he hasn't shown it.

Judging by his performance in California, the younger Schleck doesn't really show any signs of good form either, the point being that we have no idea how they will do in july. Wiggins hardly showed any super form during last years Giro, but he did quite well in july anyway.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I certainly expect Brad to ride better in July, but I'm still not convinced he has the raw climbing ability that you need to podium in a grand tour. He can diesel his way up steep slopes at a very good pace, but he doesn't seem capable of following the attacks when they come.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I'd like to believe him, but I have to say I've been disappointed with Wiggins this Giro. His prologue win was great, as was his single attack in the mountains, but I was really hoping to see a glimpse of the kind of climbing form he will need to mix it with Contador and the Schlecks this July, and he hasn't shown it.

I don't think his fourth last year was a fluke, but I think with this year's parcours he will struggle to beat it.

Yeah. I don't know know if 3 kilograms explains it. I'm wondering just what kind of a Tour it's going to be this year. Everyone claims to be on track, but the Schlecks, Cavendish, Wiggins, and some others have me expecting less from them this year than last. And having 22 teams literally throws some wild cards in there. This Giro has already been so brutal that I don't know if any participants can shine in July. Hardly anyone in California bothered to finish.

Luckily we have six great days of racing here. I've already picked Basso, not because of the profile or surface, but because he's peaking before our eyes, and riding like a winner.

La Gazzetta has Nibali picking Scarponi for the stage. I expect a great day for Italian riders and the tifosi.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I certainly expect Brad to ride better in July, but I'm still not convinced he has the raw climbing ability that you need to podium in a grand tour. He can diesel his way up steep slopes at a very good pace, but he doesn't seem capable of following the attacks when they come.

I agree. Contador, A. Schleck and Nibali are my favourites for the podium, depending on how Nibali recovers from the Giro. Wiggins is in the group of riders who could finish anywhere from 4 to 25, together with Evans, F. Schleck, Armstrong, Rogers, Kreuziger, and the list goes on...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

I don't think his fourth last year was a fluke, but I think with this year's parcours he will struggle to beat it.

Wiggins has an outside chance at a podium.

If he was in great form here, you could be damned sure he wouldn't be anywhere near the top 20 in the Tour.

issoisso said:
Wiggins has an outside chance at a podium.

If he was in great form here, you could be damned sure he wouldn't be anywhere near the top 20 in the Tour.

What concerned me about the Zoncolon stage was it was the first time he's been challenged where the race was on for most of the climbs, rather than the peloton soft pedalling and waiting for the final climb before Contador attacks. If Liquigas do that during the Tour, we may well see a very different result from last year.

theyoungest said:
WTF are you talking about? This is an ITT, remember?

Apart from the fact that Nibali hasn't done much work for Basso, so far.

Saturday's stage was all about Basso. Go on a suicide attack before the queen stage, to tire out Vino and Evans and allow Basso to sit in and have an easy ride to the finish.

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
moi123 said:
I heard that Fernando Alonso is going to take part in this tt... hahah :D

Yes that's true, atleast the organisers say so. He will "enjoy the Giro on the crucial final moments of the stage"

His presence alone will attract a lot of people and that's what they want.

I htink Vino will surprise because of the fact he wont be riding another teams tempo, but my real darkhorse is Simoni. I just can't see him leaving the Giro and his career being quiet, and i think this is the stage that he will recieve an opportunity for personal glory. Its very highly unlikely, but thats why its called a darkhorse pick!!!

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
DavidVilla7 said:
Yes that's true, atleast the organisers say so. He will "enjoy the Giro on the crucial final moments of the stage"

His presence alone will attract a lot of people and that's what they want.
I thought he was BS'ing.........that will be a sight :D

What is the gap between Ivan and Cadel?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
/\ /\ /\ /\
It's a minute and ten seconds.

Carl0880 said:
I htink Vino will surprise because of the fact he wont be riding another teams tempo, but my real darkhorse is Simoni. I just can't see him leaving the Giro and his career being quiet, and i think this is the stage that he will recieve an opportunity for personal glory. Its very highly unlikely, but thats why its called a darkhorse pick!!!

I think Gibo will be quiet today, and then will try to get in a breakaway every single day for the rest of the Giro.

sportzchick said:
that far back????

im sure they are closer than that

16:04 Robert Kiserlovski
16:07 Linus Gerdemann
16:10 Michele Scarponi
16:13 Vincenzo Nibali
16:16 Alexandre Vinokourov
16:19 Cadel Evans
16:22 Carlos Sastre
16:25 Ivan Basso
16:28 Richie Porte
16:31 David Arroyo

Oh you mean the GC, it's readily available in the results from the last stage -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/93rd-giro-ditalia-gt/stage-15/results

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
16:04 Robert Kiserlovski
16:07 Linus Gerdemann
16:10 Michele Scarponi
16:13 Vincenzo Nibali
16:16 Alexandre Vinokourov
16:19 Cadel Evans
16:22 Carlos Sastre
16:25 Ivan Basso
16:28 Richie Porte
16:31 David Arroyo

Oh you mean the GC, it's readily available in the results from the last stage -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/93rd-giro-ditalia-gt/stage-15/results
ahhh my fault - i meant overall :) but its good to know so thanks! - whats the time over there now?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't stay up to watch a time trial. Seriously. We pretend we like them, but everyone knows ITTs are kinda boring to watch live, even with the race on the line. There will be some nice scenery and some pained faces today, but it won't be thrilling action.

TRENDING THREADS