• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 16: San Vigilio di Marebbe - Kronplatz (ITT) 12.9km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Kronplatz TT?

  • Other, namely...

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
Visit site
The TDU certainly needs a little somethin' somethin' extra next year, going up Willunga Hill twice is better than once but still doesn't do enough to shake up the GC for my liking. A nice 30-40km ITT in the middle of the race would be good, I think.

Either that or find some more hills.
 
Apr 8, 2009
1,003
0
0
Visit site
who knows - im sure somthing will be figured out

ok back onto today.......Im not sure if Cadel can get back 1.10 but if he can get within at least 30-40 seconds i think thats a good outcome

PS - Online Translators of live timing are so funy :D
a people tide hopes to the runners in the inclines of the Plan of You crown. The forecasts are of 100,000 people.
LMAO
 
50 BROWN Graeme AUS RAB 49:55 5:40
51 REDA Francesco ITA QST 50:46 6:31
52 FOTHEN Markus GER MRM 50:57 6:42
53 CAPELLI Ermanno ITA FOT 52:14 7:59

Markus Fothen has really fallen far from his level when he was just a pro (he could climb in his early years, really!!)

Brown is faster :confused:
 
30-40km ITT is FAR too much. That would make it 'win the time trial, win the race'. The ITT should be around 12-15km, long enough for the time triallists to do well, but short enough to allow the sprinters who've gained lots of bonus seconds to still have a good shot at holding on. The Willunga stage should have the finish at the bottom of the descent, not after a period of flat after it, to allow an attack by good climbers and descenders like the Valverde/Evans/Sánchez/Sagan attack this year, to gain more than a thimbleful of seconds. That way you have a reason for sprinters to be aggressive (the bonus seconds in the flat stages plus limiting losses in the ITT could win them the race), for ITT specialists to stay close at hand (winning from the ITT will require a very strong ride) and for climbers to attack on Old Willunga hill (because they can viably gain enough seconds to hold off the ITT specialists if they didn't have a chance to catch up on the flat).

The timing in January means riders won't be keen on a too tricky parcours, but I think what I've outlined puts a little bit out there for everyone and would make the GC much more open.
 
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
Visit site
I don't think they'll put the finish of the Willunga stage at the bottom of the descent, because the race organisers want it to finish in town, but I take your point about the length of the TT. 12km is maybe a bit short, but 15 sound about right.
 
Apr 8, 2009
1,003
0
0
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
30-40km ITT is FAR too much. That would make it 'win the time trial, win the race'. The ITT should be around 12-15km, long enough for the time triallists to do well, but short enough to allow the sprinters who've gained lots of bonus seconds to still have a good shot at holding on. The Willunga stage should have the finish at the bottom of the descent, not after a period of flat after it, to allow an attack by good climbers and descenders like the Valverde/Evans/Sánchez/Sagan attack this year, to gain more than a thimbleful of seconds. That way you have a reason for sprinters to be aggressive (the bonus seconds in the flat stages plus limiting losses in the ITT could win them the race), for ITT specialists to stay close at hand (winning from the ITT will require a very strong ride) and for climbers to attack on Old Willunga hill (because they can viably gain enough seconds to hold off the ITT specialists if they didn't have a chance to catch up on the flat).

The timing in January means riders won't be keen on a too tricky parcours, but I think what I've outlined puts a little bit out there for everyone and would make the GC much more open.
I hear you and agree 100%

Its a fine balance between building on the success of it and not making it go too far away from why it is successful in the first place
 
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
Visit site
I always enjoy the TDU, the mix between the early season form of the guys from the big teams and late season form from the locals tends to produce some good racing, even if the pace isn't super brutal every day.
 
Sep 16, 2009
3,157
0
0
Visit site
It should go up new willunga hill and finish in town. Nice 4km descent to town. Problem is that if a big group gets up together, that will create chaos. But it will suit riders who can sprint up a hill so the only big group is the peloton not contesting the stage win.
 
Dekker_Tifosi said:
50 BROWN Graeme AUS RAB 49:55 5:40
51 REDA Francesco ITA QST 50:46 6:31
52 FOTHEN Markus GER MRM 50:57 6:42
53 CAPELLI Ermanno ITA FOT 52:14 7:59

Markus Fothen has really fallen far from his level when he was just a pro (he could climb in his early years, really!!)

Brown is faster :confused:

You can't really compare, they won't have been going 100%, just doing enough.
 
Dekker_Tifosi said:
50 BROWN Graeme AUS RAB 49:55 5:40
51 REDA Francesco ITA QST 50:46 6:31
52 FOTHEN Markus GER MRM 50:57 6:42
53 CAPELLI Ermanno ITA FOT 52:14 7:59

Markus Fothen has really fallen far from his level when he was just a pro (he could climb in his early years, really!!)

Brown is faster :confused:

yes, he's quite invisible fore some years (since he battled with Cunego for the white jersey at the Tour de France). Same for his brother

I think Fothen even was Milrams guy for the OC at this giro while Gerdemann wanted to go for stage wins. Now he's in the middle of nowhere again
 
Jun 29, 2009
589
0
0
Visit site
Aside from the fact that Wiggins is using this race as part of his training and that he is not at his ideal racing weight, the course of the TDF should suit him much more than the Giro obviously.
 
Aug 18, 2009
4,993
1
0
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
50 BROWN Graeme AUS RAB 49:55 5:40
51 REDA Francesco ITA QST 50:46 6:31
52 FOTHEN Markus GER MRM 50:57 6:42
53 CAPELLI Ermanno ITA FOT 52:14 7:59

The rest of the first group.

Robert Forster, then Simoni next to go.

[edit]
Von Mises said:
can you post live-ticker? Or where from you are getting info?

The CN ticker's on, there's one on biciciclismo, maybe one on radsport-news, but I haven't checked. Others?

[edit] There's been a ticker on velonews as well. Don't think gazzetta's ticker is working today.
 
Jun 16, 2009
759
0
0
www.oxygencycles.com
Jamsque said:
I don't think they'll put the finish of the Willunga stage at the bottom of the descent, because the race organisers want it to finish in town, but I take your point about the length of the TT. 12km is maybe a bit short, but 15 sound about right.

Seriously OT, but, the Stage 5 of the TdU could easily go striaght at the bottom of Penny's Hill Road and finish in Mclaren Flat, or take the right into McLaren Vale ( the defacto 'centre' of the region). But they won't do that because that would mean I could watch the final without leaving work and the world doesn't work like that... I suggest digging up an old thread if people want to discuss the TdU parcours further.

Anyway ON TOPIC. Nibbles for the win, Cuddles second at 20 seconds, Basso third, Arroyo down 1'30", followed by truly awesome third week of the Giro.
 
Ferminal said:
I thought I saw it mentioned earlier, but does anyone have the intermediate times for Pellizotti et al. in 2008?

Intermediate timing km 7.6 km 12.9 # Rider Name, (Country), Team Result

1 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Alessio - Bianchi 00:20:58
2 Emanuele Sella (Ita) Ceramica Panaria - Navigare +0:00:22
3 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Lampre - Caffita +0:00:04
4 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana +0:00:10
5 Riccardo Riccò (Ita) SCOTT - AMERICAN BEEF +0:00:05
6 José Rujano Guillen (Ven) Quickstep - Innergetic +0:00:12
7 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) iBanesto.com +0:00:15
8 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Ceramica Panaria - Navigare +0:00:32
9 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Cantina Tollo - Acqua e Sapone +0:00:28
10 Denis Menchov (Rus) iBanesto.com +0:00:28
11 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team Saxo Bank +0:00:59
12 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Predictor - Lotto +0:00:51
13 Evgeni Petrov (Rus) Katyusha +0:00:52
14 Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Team Saxo Bank +0:01:01
15 Andrea Noe' (Ita) Mapei - Quick Step +0:01:16
16 Sylvester Szmyd (Pol) Lampre - Caffita +0:00:53
17 Félix Rafael Cardenas Ravalo (Col) Barloworld +0:00:58
18 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas +0:01:16
19 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile Team +0:01:36
20 Julio Alberto Perez Cuapio (Mex) Ceramica Panaria - Gaerne +0:01:27
21 Gabriele Bosisio (Ita) LPR Brakes Farnese Vini +0:01:12
22 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R La Mondiale +0:01:32
23 Fortunato Baliani (Ita) Aguardiente Nectar - Selle Italia +0:01:05
24 Juan Manuel Gárate Cepa (Spa) Predictor - Lotto +0:01:20
25 Morris Possoni (Ita) Team Columbia - HTC +0:01:31
26 Chris Anker Sørensen (Den) Team Saxo Bank +0:01:31
27 Simon Spilak (Slo) Krka Adria Mobil +0:01:23
28 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) Mapei - Quick Step +0:01:33
29 Johannes Fröhlinger (Ger) Team Milram +0:01:52
30 Philip Deignan (Irl) Cervelo Test Team +0:01:54
31 Jason Mccartney (USA) Health Net Pro Cycling Team Presented by Maxxis +0:01:39
32 Kevin Seeldrayers (Bel) Quick Step +0:02:00
33 Andrea Tonti (Ita) Predictor - Lotto +0:01:24
34 Charles Wegelius (GBr) Mapei - Quick Step +0:01:56
35 Carlos José Ochoa (Ven) Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni - Androni Giocattoli +0:01:50
 

TRENDING THREADS