• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 4: Savigliano - Cuneo (TTT) 32.5km

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
From sporza be:

1. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) in 10u44'00"
2. Ivan Basso (Ita) 13"
3. Valerio Agnoli (Ita) 20"
4. André Greipel (Dui) 26"
5. Matthew Goss (Aus) 26"
6. Alexandr Vinokoerov (Kaz) 33"
7. Vladimir Karpets (Rus) 39"
8. Richie Porte (Aus) 45"
9. David Millar (GBr) 45"
10. Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) 59"
13. Linus Gerdemann (Dui) 1'04"
27. Cadel Evans (Aus) 1'59"
32. Carlos Sastre (Spa) 2'13"
38. Michele Scarponi (Ita) 2'35"
41. Stefano Garzelli (Ita) 2'49"

14 seconds separate Sastre and Evans. Sunday's stage up the Terminillo should be the day when the fireworks commence.

Meh, the Terminillo isn't that hard. It's going to be a case of finding out if any of the 3/4/5 we consider the contenders, don't actually have the form to contend.

It's very traditional of the Giro :)
Somewhere between the 4th-8th day a flat stage with a not-so-hard mountain at the end, and the "real" mountain stages in the final 8 days.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
A step forward

At TTT in TdF 2009 Evans lost 2,35 to Astana. He was then 2,59 behind leader and 2,40 behind Contador.

I suppose being 1,40 behind Basso is a step forward.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The story of Rabobank, and Pieter Weening, on their site is the exact opposite of Evans.

They complain about an unbelievable rain and wind in the first part, which cost them time (also due to being careful at roundabouts in the rain) and a good second part.
Basically everyone is complaining about how bad the first part was (which we could also see on tv) so it must have been more or less the same for everyone.

issoisso said:
Meh, the Terminillo isn't that hard. It's going to be a case of finding out if any of the 3/4/5 we consider the contenders, don't actually have the form to contend.

It's very traditional of the Giro :)
Somewhere between the 4th-8th day a flat stage with a not-so-hard mountain at the end, and the "real" mountain stages in the final 8 days.

16.1kms at 7.3% average would be considered hard by Tour standards.
Much of it is over 8%.
I think it's more to do with it always featuring at the end of week 1 and riders either not ready, willing, or able to commit 100% effort, given the usual back end of the race. Which, I think was your point.

Put it where the Blockhaus or Versuvius was, last year and you'd get bigger fireworks.

I'm quite looking forward to Saturday's mini Eroica stage, which may well prove more entertaining.

Mellow Velo said:
16.1kms at 7.3% average would be considered hard by Tour standards.
Much of it is over 8%.
I think it's more to do with it always featuring at the end of week 1 and riders either not ready, willing, or able to commit 100% effort, given the usual back end of the race. Which, I think was your point.

Put it where the Blockhaus or Versuvius was, last year and you'd get bigger fireworks.
Scarponi on the Terminillo stage:
This should be similar to the 2003 stage finish on the Terminillo, when Garzelli won ahead of Simoni, but none of the GC riders lost a huge amount of time. The Terminillo is long but not that hard. You might even see a group of seven or eight guys arrive together and a sprint finish.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
You can be frickin Einstein, if you don't have talent or a huge workload it's useless. It's still all about strength

The strength factor >>>>>>>>>>> all other factors. You do math which would only be correct if every rider (or in this case) team was evenly strong

I thought the two of you were arguing over whether the wind aided the teams the started earlier in the stage?:confused:

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so maybe Sunday won't reshuffle the GC standings but might be more of a stage for someone like Cunego to try and break away and claw back a little time.

I didn't know the Saturday's stage will take in some strade bianche, thanks for the info Mellow Velo.

Oh and La Gazetta have updated their full standings. Read it here.

Uran isn't doing so well at 18'18 back - Holland killed his chances though I don't think he was a podium threat considering the presence of Sastre, Vino, Basso, Nibali et al. Rabo are well placed/well represented with 5 riders under 3 minutes - Mollema, at 2'49, Van Emden at 1'49, Stamsnijder at 1'45, Brown at 1'28 and Weening at 1'15.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
But Brown, Van Emden and Stamsnijder will drop and there is no way Mollema or Weening will come even close to the top 5, top 10 would already be a suprise
Sure, I was just trying to look at the bright side, at least for now.

trompe le monde said:
Rabo are well placed/well represented with 5 riders under 3 minutes - Mollema, at 2'49, Van Emden at 1'49, Stamsnijder at 1'45, Brown at 1'28 and Weening at 1'15.
Ironically the team leader is the worst placed of those 5, all due to unnecessary time loss. Although it's probably dual leadership with Weening, who is one of the best placed climbers in the race.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Great to see Nibali in pink. If Sastre doesn't pull it off he would be my second preference to win it.

A very very strong TTT by Liquigas I thought, other teams who you might think are better at this looked a bit ragged in comparison.

Vino was a bit of *** at the end I thought, the last Astana guy was completely cooked and desperately trying to get back on - and shouting and gesticulating was not going to make him go faster.

Good effort by Sky, tiny bit of bad luck with Sutton at the start, but I dont think they could have gone much faster, Leaky Gas were just very quick.

The weather conditions changed during the stage. Some teams had heavy rain at the start and sunshine at the intermediate time check, other teams had the reverse. It was very inconsistent.

Both Rabobank and Milram said they had bad conditions the first half, much better the second. That won't necessarily be true for other teams.

Susan

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
Kim Andersen makes an interesting point on danish cycling web site feltet.dk. He says Vinokourov could be a liability for his team in the TTT, as his strenght can rip his teammates to pieces :)

Edit: spelling

Looks like Andersen knew what he talked about, at least to a certain degree :)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
it happens that martinelli predicted astana's (and almost all other top teams today) performances quite accurately. before the stage he told rai interviewers that there are at least four or five teams that are superior to astana. 'i'm talking about sky, garmin, liquigas and saxo bank'. he was ready to lose the rosa today.

Susan Westemeyer said:
The weather conditions changed during the stage. Some teams had heavy rain at the start and sunshine at the intermediate time check, other teams had the reverse. It was very inconsistent.

Both Rabobank and Milram said they had bad conditions the first half, much better the second. That won't necessarily be true for other teams.

Susan
I didn't read any comments from teams stating the reverse? Sky, BMC, Saxo, Rabo, Milram all seem to have had what Weening described as "almost a tornado" in the first part, and better conditions after the time check.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I watched it live from about 1530 Uk time - all teams I saw had some good weather and some bad. Possibly Sky had the worst downpour but they didn't seem to slow down, and the course was not technical- losing Sutton would have had more effect on them.

Stranijl (sorry if I spelt that wrong) cannot be faulted for effort - he put everything he had down on the road, Vino is the old supposedly wise guy in the team. He should know he can drop rider 7,8 or 9 but he needs to keep rider 5 in the train - once rider 5 is dropped they are not getting back on, and the team time will be slower. If he was dropped out of less than 100% effort then maybe Vino can moan but that guy was utterly wrecked and had done everything for the team.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
python said:
^^very true about the weather impact. vinokourov said that starting in the pouring rain cost his team 20 seconds.

If the race continues as it has he may get them back tomorrow just by staying alert and riding at the front with a teammate or two.

Looks like Astana didn't do worse than predicted

I love how Astana get ripped for finishing 5 th and only just a bit more than half a minute from the leaders. Wasn't that what most of the "predictions " had been about? Nobody , but a few hopefuls, had expected better and Vino comes out with some more time on the likes of Evan and Wiggins. To me that looks like a good position. No jersey to defend for awhile and plenty of teams around who " have no choice" but too work extra hard if they want to matter in the later on.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Dedelou said:
I love how Astana get ripped for finishing 5 th and only just a bit more than half a minute from the leaders.

33 seconds down is nothing this early in the race, some of the news articles this morning were a bit OTT on Vino.

IMO Basso's and Sastre's stocks have gone up slightly, and Cadels down slightly. But hardly worth getting carried away about.

rabobank tactical situation seems to be ideal at the moment. weening is pretty placed in the gc and could try to go for the top 10. he's in a good form at the moment, and i don't see why his top 10 chances should be lower than the ones of gerdemann. a lot of other potential top10 guys might be already beaten (pozzovivo, bruseghin, masciarelli, simoni, arroyo, uran, martin, albasini, cioni, serpa, rodrieguez)

mollema is already about 3.00 behind the other guys, so he could stop thinking of the gc now. he should conserve himself the next 2 days, and with about 5 minutes deficent he should break away on saturday and trying to capture the maglia verde and maybe the stage win if the favourites gaugling eacht others. i'm not sure if gibo and pozzovivo now are really planning to do sth in the mountains classification and moncoutie is more than harvestable.

that seems to be a very nice tactical dubble-force for rabo to place one guy in the top 10 and/or get a classification yearsey (forget about this stupid maglia blanco). i don't expect brown to be a competitor for the maglia ciclamino at the end, and breukink has to know that too.

TRENDING THREADS