• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
My understanding is Kreuziger is riding the TDF/Vuelta and will be afforded protection in the Ardennes - The Orica team for Amstel Gold is interesting and doesn't have a stand out leader - In saying that the parcours make it a more unpredicable race.

Its actually going to be interesting to see how Kreuziger at ORS plays out. Certainly the biggest "name" signing they've had but will it actually pay the expected dividends ..... as yet, his showings to date have been inconclusive with nothing of any significance either postive or negative.

With Chaves' season currently carrying some significant question marks, just what will be Kreuziger's role come TDF ?

Had a few question marks re how Verona would pan out but his recent form at Catalunya & Indurain have certainly been pleasing signs that he may pay some dividends on investment. Are both the Giro & Vuelta possibly on his schedule, esp if team hierarchy have to reassess planning re the GC men for each GT ?

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
My understanding is Kreuziger is riding the TDF/Vuelta and will be afforded protection in the Ardennes - The Orica team for Amstel Gold is interesting and doesn't have a stand out leader - In saying that the parcours make it a more unpredicable race.

Its actually going to be interesting to see how Kreuziger at ORS plays out. Certainly the biggest "name" signing they've had but will it actually pay the expected dividends ..... as yet, his showings to date have been inconclusive with nothing of any significance either postive or negative.

With Chaves' season currently carrying some significant question marks, just what will be Kreuziger's role come TDF ?

Had a few question marks re how Verona would pan out but his recent form at Catalunya & Indurain have certainly been pleasing signs that he may pay some dividends on investment. Are both the Giro & Vuelta possibly on his schedule, esp if team hierarchy have to reassess planning re the GC men for each GT ?

Verona is climbing well and seems to have benefited from the altitude training in South Africa - My understanding is Verona was to ride the Vuelta and the Giro but guess all places are up for grabs - Rather Gerrans rides the Giro/Vuelta and give the TDF a miss - Kreuziger/Power and Haig have been given slow build ups and a still little away from full fitness - Will try to find out more information about the race calendar of the Mitchelton Scott CT which has three or four certain WT riders for the future.

From what we've seen throughout his career Kreuziger will either be a very good signing or a wasted spot on the roster, he seems like a rider who has no middle ground. Mitchelton Scott CT should be interesting to follow, have no idea of the calendar they'll be racing and you'd expect Hindley, Storer, Hamilton and Jenner to be spending a fair bit of time racing for the national team once the U23's get into full swing. I'd expect to see the team pop up in small European continental races and spend some time racing on the Asian calendar. Another rider to watch from that squad is Robert Stannard, big engine and good results so far for an 18 year old.
On another not does anyone know what's happened to King Lok Cheung? Only had 3 appearances this season over the Asian Championships and nothing since.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

StryderHells said:
From what we've seen throughout his career Kreuziger will either be a very good signing or a wasted spot on the roster, he seems like a rider who has no middle ground.
Quite on the contrary - he is very consistent ridet throughout his career. He is either very good, or decent, for the most of the time, sometimes mediocre. I wonder on what occasion he was wasted spot in the roster.

Re:

yaco said:
King Lok Cheung is focusing on track - Have no idea why he is on Orica's roster - Edmondson a late inclusion for PR - DS Lorenzo Lapage gives him a massive wrap in his race preview.

Have to concur, when I first heard of his signing; my thought was "Ok, another Asian signing for just this season; quite possibly for window dressing/semi commercial reasons". Was very surprised to find it was until end of 2017; perhaps there are some wider commercial reasons and that that Orica's replacement as name sponsor may be China based. Having said that, I could be barking up a totally wrong tree entirely

Was one very very long stint on the front by Haig yesterday; if nothing else an indication that he should be of solid utility in the mountains for whichever GT he may be sent to this year.

With regards to signing of young AUS riders for next year by ORS; much will depend on the turnover of riders.

I see the following as being in the likely or potential retirement category on age alone:

Tuft: near 100% certainty
Hayman: has to be a strong consideration although every chance of a one year extension
Gerrans: leaning strongly towards this being his final full season
Plaza: hard to know, His age has make it a strong consideration and at this pointm his retention is no sure thing
AlbasinI; suspect that he may be up for another 2 years given he is still capable of WT results. If he's wanting to continue, would expect team to accomodate

Others up for renewal:

Docker: probably needing some results to ensure his spot but a solid cobbles season has at least strengthened his case
Hepburn: similar to Docker with regards to needing results; some promising showings so far that have indicated potential wider utility than pure flatland draught horse. Not secure but neither is he out the door
Cort: likely to see some market interest but he has stated a preference for an English speaking team and will he consider himself better off elsewhere. Expect team will look to keep him
Bewley: no real results to speak of but he has clearly marked out a role as Chaves' protector on the flat. Most likely retain
Juul-Jensen: an essentially anonymous/invisible 2016 & probably needing a significant step up to retain his place. Top 10 at Strade Bianchi certainly a healthy step but still probably needs to mark out a clear role for himself within the team
Keukeleire: his 2nd at GW will most likely see some market interest but I'd frankly be surprised to see him leave given that he's so very much at home at this team and the team clearly value his versatility
Mezgec: signed primarily as a leadout for Ewan but has also proven capable of bringing in some results of his own and has some versatility. Maybe not 100% sure but leaning towards retain
Cheung Lok: unless there ARE some commercial reasons linked to his signing, at this point no cycling basis for his retention
Haig: his 2016 showings alone mark him as definite retain
Edmondson: essentially his neo pro year given 2016 basically a "wash" due to Olympic track but his cobbles showings plus indications of some sprinting ability suggest that ORS are most likely already preparing his contract extension
Power: will be given another 2 years to show something

In summation, I see a likely 2, potentially 3 vacancies coming from those at the potential retirement bracket. Maybe a turnover of 2 (but would be surprised if there are more than 3) from those others going off contract.

Of the the three young AUS climbers that have been touted, they may take 2 of them but I would be surprised if they sign all 3 at the one time. They may look at another young AUS rider but one doubts they would look at a pure sprinter given the change in team's focus.

Would have to think they will also have at least 2 overseas signings

Re:

dirkprovin said:
Was one very very long stint on the front by Haig yesterday; if nothing else an indication that he should be of solid utility in the mountains for whichever GT he may be sent to this year.

With regards to signing of young AUS riders for next year by ORS; much will depend on the turnover of riders.

I see the following as being in the likely or potential retirement category on age alone:

Hayman: has to be a strong consideration although every chance of a one year extension
Plaza: hard to know, His age has make it a strong consideration and at this pointm his retention is no sure thing
AlbasinI; suspect that he may be up for another 2 years given he is still capable of WT results. If he's wanting to continue, would expect team to accomodate

Others up for renewal:

Docker: probably needing some results to ensure his spot but a solid cobbles season has at least strengthened his case
Hepburn: similar to Docker with regards to needing results; some promising showings so far that have indicated potential wider utility than pure flatland draught horse. Not secure but neither is he out the door
Cort: likely to see some market interest but he has stated a preference for an English speaking team and will he consider himself better off elsewhere. Expect team will look to keep him
Bewley: no real results to speak of but he has clearly marked out a role as Chaves' protector on the flat. Most likely retain
Juul-Jensen: an essentially anonymous/invisible 2016 & probably needing a significant step up to retain his place. Top 10 at Strade Bianchi certainly a healthy step but still probably needs to mark out a clear role for himself within the team
Keukeleire: his 2nd at GW will most likely see some market interest but I'd frankly be surprised to see him leave given that he's so very much at home at this team and the team clearly value his versatility
Mezgec: signed primarily as a leadout for Ewan but has also proven capable of bringing in some results of his own and has some versatility. Maybe not 100% sure but leaning towards retain
Cheung Lok: unless there ARE some commercial reasons linked to his signing, at this point no cycling basis for his retention
Edmondson: essentially his neo pro year given 2016 basically a "wash" due to Olympic track but his cobbles showings plus indications of some sprinting ability suggest that ORS are most likely already preparing his contract extension

In summation, I see a likely 2, potentially 3 vacancies coming from those at the potential retirement bracket. Maybe a turnover of 2 (but would be surprised if there are more than 3) from those others going off contract.

Of the the three young AUS climbers that have been touted, they may take 2 of them but I would be surprised if they sign all 3 at the one time. They may look at another young AUS rider but one doubts they would look at a pure sprinter given the change in team's focus.

Only a good result in the upcoming classics will probably keep Gerrans going for another year. He seems to have lost a bit in the sprints, enough to make a difference. But he has also had his fair share of injuries and crashes. He has looked better this week.

movingtarget said:
dirkprovin said:

Others up for renewal:

Only a good result in the upcoming classics will probably keep Gerrans going for another year. He seems to have lost a bit in the sprints, enough to make a difference. But he has also had his fair share of injuries and crashes. He has looked better this week.
I've had the impression that Gerrans is enjoying the road captain role and mentoring the younger riders. Can see him making the transition to DS

42x16ss said:
movingtarget said:
dirkprovin said:

Others up for renewal:

I've had the impression that Gerrans is enjoying the road captain role and mentoring the younger riders. Can see him making the transition to DS

Probably. If he is likeable and communicates well it won't hurt him either.

Kokoso said:
StryderHells said:
From what we've seen throughout his career Kreuziger will either be a very good signing or a wasted spot on the roster, he seems like a rider who has no middle ground.
Quite on the contrary - he is very consistent ridet throughout his career. He is either very good, or decent, for the most of the time, sometimes mediocre. I wonder on what occasion he was wasted spot in the roster.

I'll concede that I judged him to harshly

42x16ss said:
movingtarget said:
dirkprovin said:

Others up for renewal:

Have heard words to that effect re potential DS from a couple of sources. He showed at GTs last year that he is capable of playing major parts in team set pieces; however its increasingly debateable that he's able to back up on the road on a day to day basis.

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
movingtarget said:
dirkprovin said:

Others up for renewal:

Have heard words to that effect re potential DS from a couple of sources. He showed at GTs last year that he is capable of playing major parts in team set pieces; however its increasingly debateable that he's able to back up on the road on a day to day basis.
Then have Gerrans as road captain for Yates and Chaves at Ardennes and stage hunting at GTs.

Back on topic: it's hard to see any of Orica's young guns in a rush to leave but I can certainly see Cort, Haig and Power getting some heavy interest from other teams. The form Power showed in only a short preparation time after his illness was very promising, and indicative of his immense talent.

Cort should almost certainly receive some real "market interest" but he seems a pretty rational sort of guy if this piece is anything to go by. https://cyclingtips.com/2017/02/introducing-magnus-cort-orica-scotts-secret-weapon-spring-classics/

Not sure that I can agree that there's likely to be really heavy interest in Haig & Power. Perhaps some sniffs around Haig & maybe Edmondson but its just really far too early to see too many teams taking a major punt on Power. Two years time and it may well be that your scenario is very much in play for all three !

Keukeleire is really the only other rider apart from Cort where I'm seeing potential for significant market interest but in honesty, I suspect it would need either a major fall out with the team over the next 3-4 months and/or "an offer he couldn't refuse" for him to leave a team that has allowed him to develop and where he feels valued

Re:

dirkprovin said:

Others up for renewal:

I wonder if they announce later in the season that Gerrans will retire and move into a DS role after the 2018 TDU as his final race, wouldn't surprise me at all if something like that happened. Agree with most of what you've said here but I'd think with Albasini turning 37 by years end that he'd only get a 1 year extension instead of the 2 you suggested. I think Docker is safe unless something goes drastically wrong for the rest of the season, if they retain Keukeleire, Cort and already having Durbridge then they need solid Doms for that classics squad and Docker fits that purpose perfectly. Hepburn is an interesting one, he's showing positive signs this season so curious to see what his race program will be for the rest of the year, he's raced the last 2 editions of the Giro but do they send along this season with the bigger GC ambitions the team has.

Orica will be disappointed with Keukeliere's untimely mechanical with 35kms to go - Looked one of the strongest riders at that time and probably would have made the final group of 6, Keukeliere must have suffered another mechanical or crashed because he finished 14 minutes behind - Hayman was a good ride and got through with experience, though Keukeliere was definitely the stronger - Suspect Durbridge has upper body injuries after his crash - Bewley gave Durbridge his bike, Edmondson was active working for other riders, Docker and Mezgec were anonymous and Cort was disappointing - Orica is making progress in the cobbled classics.

StryderHells said:
dirkprovin said:

Others up for renewal:

I wonder if they announce later in the season that Gerrans will retire and move into a DS role after the 2018 TDU as his final race, wouldn't surprise me at all if something like that happened. Agree with most of what you've said here but I'd think with Albasini turning 37 by years end that he'd only get a 1 year extension instead of the 2 you suggested. I think Docker is safe unless something goes drastically wrong for the rest of the season, if they retain Keukeleire, Cort and already having Durbridge then they need solid Doms for that classics squad and Docker fits that purpose perfectly. Hepburn is an interesting one, he's showing positive signs this season so curious to see what his race program will be for the rest of the year, he's raced the last 2 editions of the Giro but do they send along this season with the bigger GC ambitions the team has.

Think that could possibly be a very real scenario with Gerrans. Not sure the timeframe re any DS role though.

Very possible re Albasini; it may end up being the case that the 2nd year is an "option".

Hepburn was part of Chaves' Giro squad last year and with Tuft now really showing his years/struggling to be effective; they're still going to need more than just Bewley for the hard graft role as he can't really be expected to cover all 3 GTs.

Re:

yaco said:
Durbridge broken ribs from his crash in PR - Out of the Ardennes.

Didn't think the Ardennes races would be his thing in any case but this may probably seem him out until Dauphine

Fair showing by Joker at Brabantse Pijl. Realistically he was chugging pretty hard on those hills and wasn't going to be fighting out the win but still worthy of credit. Another result on his scorecard, not going to hurt him come contract time. WILL be interesting to see his race program going forward and where he may fit in with GT line-ups

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Didn't think the Ardennes races would be his thing in any case but this may probably seem him out until Dauphine

Fair showing by Joker at Brabantse Pijl. Realistically he was chugging pretty hard on those hills and wasn't going to be fighting out the win but still worthy of credit. Another result on his scorecard, not going to hurt him come contract time. WILL be interesting to see his race program going forward and where he may fit in with GT line-ups

Broken ribs usually keeps riders out for 2 weeks - Think you've underestimated Joker - He's been a rock solid rider since joining Orica - I suspect he'll be in the TDF team - Go to the news.com website and listen to the weekly podcast ' The Three Domestiques' - Features Matt Keenan, Dan Jones and Sam Edmund described by Sam Bewley as the 'other guy' when referring to the podacst.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Broken ribs usually keeps riders out for 2 weeks - Think you've underestimated Joker - He's been a rock solid rider since joining Orica - I suspect he'll be in the TDF team - Go to the news.com website and listen to the weekly podcast ' The Three Domestiques' - Features Matt Keenan, Dan Jones and Sam Edmund described by Sam Bewley as the 'other guy' when referring to the podacst.

Sadly, the soundcard on my laptop has completely had the fritz so can't do so.

Am only saying that his 1st season WAS very very anonymous. Was at last years Tour but never saw him doing in any role. Certainly, he HAS started this season far better; maybe due to a 'friendlier" race schedule. Have little doubt that a top 10 at Strade Bianchi and here are not going to hurt his retention chances OR potential market value but I WILL be very looking closely to see what utility he proves at the Tour or whichever GT.

Re:

yaco said:
Orica will be disappointed with Keukeliere's untimely mechanical with 35kms to go - Looked one of the strongest riders at that time and probably would have made the final group of 6, Keukeliere must have suffered another mechanical or crashed because he finished 14 minutes behind - Hayman was a good ride and got through with experience, though Keukeliere was definitely the stronger - Suspect Durbridge has upper body injuries after his crash - Bewley gave Durbridge his bike, Edmondson was active working for other riders, Docker and Mezgec were anonymous and Cort was disappointing - Orica is making progress in the cobbled classics.

No reports on a second issue with Keukeliere, he punctured and it took a long time to get a wheel change and soft pedaled home, it's a pity as he was looking well on his way to his best Roubaix result but that's the luck of the draw on the Roubaix cobbles. Mitch Docker had a couple of falls during the race which is why he was anonymous, I'm just happy for the guy that he made it through the race and finished considering what happened to him in last years race.