• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gta v

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thomsena said:
No. This is what you said:

"Rockstar needs to find a different concept in their games. They're not making any money of Grand Theft Auto anyway: they actually managed to make a huge loss."

This is totally wrong which you already have admitted when you wrote
that GTA is the game Take-Two depend on to pay their bills. I don't care if Take-Two is the mother company or something else. I don't care if they failed with other games or have a inept management. This is about Rockstar and the game GTA and GTA has made nothing but profit.

Profit is something which you either pay out your stock holders with or invest back in to your company. Yeah, I want a different concept in GTA games, why does it need to be an American city all the time for example? That and they should also make more franchises, so that they don't have to rely on GTA alone. Something which they already did of course with RDR(sold 10 million copies), but there's many more things left to be done in sandbox games.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
"GTA London was an earlier totaly different version of GTA. It was birds eye view, stories werent a key part of the game, its more similar to tetris than the current GTA games, which started with the ground breaking GTA III."

GTA I and II were every bit as good as the GTA's that came after it. I'm sorry you look down upon games just because of the graphical settings. GTA: Chinatown wars is also in bird eyes view. Anyway, GTA I and II also had stories that were a key part of the game, so not sure why you think it doesn't...

"I dont care about all your other games. GTA today is about authenticity. They spend years and years on research and development just to make everything seem as real as possible. And im not talking about the violence which should very well be cartoon like, but the setting, the story and the experience."

GTA IV had a 3-4 year development period. That's about the average period it takes in developing a decent and big game. Not sure why you think that's something special here.

"Dragon Ball Z isnt based on authenticity is it:rolleyes:"

But Kenshin Himura partly is, especially the OVA's. And DB(Z) makes a lot of Japanese cultural references.

"So having a game in Italy but everyone speaking English, well that may work for your Rome total war game or whatever, but GTA isnt a series that would do that. If it was in Italy it would have to be in Italian."

Total war games are known for their authenticity and realism. Quite a lot more then a GTA game actually.

"Lets not forget also that most of the developers etc, live in the US so it is far easier for them to parody the culture they know and breathe.
It would be very difficult for them to parody Japanese popular culture. And if they did few of their gamers would understand it."

You just said they did a lot of research? Why can't they do research about other cultures? Or even better, if you want to make a Japanese sandbox game, just hire some Japanese. They control the game market anyway. Neither Sony or Nintendo have problem creating games for an American audience and they're Japanese. Metal Gear Solid is a Japanese game about Americans.

"Are you trying to be a comedian? Jurrasic Park and Ice Age 3 were also a popular film, should they set the next GTA in prehistoric times then?"

Just pointing out that Americans aren't idiots that need everything to be in English or in an American setting.

"GTA is different from films, as I said films last 1 100th of how long gta lasts. And other games are also different. Fifa is quite succesful despite the fact that the entire setting is 90m by 50m."

Animes last 1 millionth times longer than GTA. And I'm not asking Rockstar to make something other than Sandbox games, but to change their formula somewhat more.

"Should gta also try such a small setting if it worked for Fifa?"

No, it's a Sandbox game.

"No, because GTA is a totaly different game, to Fifa, to Dragon ball z and to all the other examples you spit out as if they meant something."

They mean that American audiences do care about other cultures and that it wouldn't destroy the GTA franchise because they all of a sudden used a different culture to focus on. GTA sells games because of its big brand name.

El Pistolero said:
Profit is something which you either pay out your stock holders with or invest back in to your company. Yeah, I want a different concept in GTA games, why does it need to be an American city all the time for example? That and they should also make more franchises, so that they don't have to rely on GTA alone. Something which they already did of course with RDR(sold 10 million copies), but there's many more things left to be done in sandbox games.

RDR is GTA set 100 years ago. They couldnt call it GTA because theres no Autos but everything else about it is the same.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
RDR is GTA set 100 years ago. They couldnt call it GTA because theres no Autos but everything else about it is the same.

I'm not asking it for them to name it GTA though.

- They should create new franchises like RDR(which sold so many copies because it was made by Rockstar, famous for GTA, so people knew it was going to be a quality game.)

- And they should refresh their core franchise GTA some more by tapping into different cultures and parts of the world. That's just my opinion though, you don't need to agree. But I'm sure it would sell good as long as the developers put in a lot of quality.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Profit is something which you either pay out your stock holders with or invest back in to your company.

Yeah, and how do you think the profit would look like if they had released nothing but GTA?

El Pistolero said:
I'm not asking it for them to name it GTA though.

- They should create new franchises like RDR(which sold so many copies because it was made by Rockstar, famous for GTA, so people knew it was going to be a quality game.)

- And they should refresh their core franchise GTA some more by tapping into different cultures and parts of the world. That's just my opinion though, you don't need to agree. But I'm sure it would sell good as long as the developers put in a lot of quality.

It sold so much because it was like GTA.

And im not merely telling you that I dont agree, but that it wouldnt work. GTA is based on America, it would not work in another culture, not even in Mexico.

If they did it in another culture it would have to be called something else.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It sold so much because it was like GTA.

And im not merely telling you that I dont agree, but that it wouldnt work. GTA is based on America, it would not work in another culture, not even in Mexico.

If they did it in another culture it would have to be called something else.

Yeah, organized crime in big cities is something that only happens in American culture :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I didnt say that :rolleyes:

What do you think GTA games are about?

Besides the main character of GTA III and GTA vice city is Tommy Vercetti an Italian-American. He was working for the Forelli family, an Italian-American mafia family before he created his own family: the Vercetti family.

Sounds Italian to me.

El Pistolero said:
What do you think GTA games are about?

Besides the main character of GTA III and GTA vice city is Tommy Vercetti an Italian-American. He was working for the Forelli family, an Italian-American mafia family before he created his own family: the Vercetti family.

Sounds Italian to me.

Yes. I explained this to you here

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=716537&postcount=9

after you said GTA should be more about the Italian mafia

El Pistolero said:
San Andreas is based on Mara Salvatrucha 13 and some other gangs. They should make a GTA about the Italian Mafia.
:D

Now you are saying its too much about the Italian mafia, just a few weeks later.

Come on man, its blatantly obvious you don't know much about the game.

None of those characters can so much as speak Italian btw. Its called the Italian mafia but the "Italian"bit refers to their ethnicity. They are Italian Americans.

Which is totaly different to real Italians. None of these tv shows or films would be as succesful if they were about the Ndrangheta or Camorra rather than New York 5 families. hell in Sopranos they even higher a junkie to speak to Italian assasins because none of the made members of the family speaks the language.

As I said, GTA is a sp oof of Americna popular culture.

If you want me to explain this I will, but just stealing cars and killing people is not what makes a GTA game. there are plenty of other games that do this - like Saints Row, and they are fun, but they do not feel GTA, because there are several special ingredients to make a "Grand theft auto" game.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yes. I explained this to you here

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=716537&postcount=9

after you said GTA should be more about the Italian mafia

:D

Now you are saying its too much about the Italian mafia, just a few weeks later.

Come on man, its blatantly obvious you don't know much about the game.

None of those characters can so much as speak Italian btw. Its called the Italian mafia but the "Italian"bit refers to their ethnicity. They are Italian Americans.

Which is totaly different to real Italians. None of these tv shows or films would be as succesful if they were about the Ndrangheta or Camorra rather than New York 5 families. hell in Sopranos they even higher a junkie to speak to Italian assasins because none of the made members of the family speaks the language.

As I said, GTA is a sp oof of Americna popular culture.

If you want me to explain this I will, but just stealing cars and killing people is not what makes a GTA game. there are plenty of other games that do this - like Saints Row, and they are fun, but they do not feel GTA, because there are several special ingredients to make a "Grand theft auto" game.

Italia mafia is something different than Italian-American mafia. When I was saying they should do something about Italian mafia I was talking about the game actually taking place in Italy instead of America. Italian-mafia had ties with Italian-American Mafia, but they weren't the same at all, there was a power struggle going on between the old power in Sicily and the new power in the USA that made its money from drug trade.

You just said GTA is about authenticity. Most Italian-Americans speak Italian and the authentic Italian-American mafia most certainly did speak Italian against their closest family members. Saint Row is a knock off from GTA. People are always going to value the original one higher. Of course these characters in GTA can't speak Italian, because the game is not as authentic as you give it credit for :eek:

And I never said they use too much Italian-American mafia. I made that argument to point out GTA already uses, or should use at least, Italian culture as an inspiration to their games. What is American culture if not a hybrid of different cultures?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Already done, gta libertiy city stories.

Erm, I was talking about real history here, not that it should be made into a game.

What I want is a GTA outside America. Which has not yet been done(well, London has been done already, proving GTA doesn't have to take place in USA). Focusing on the Italian mafia in Sicily would just be one of many possibilities.

El Pistolero said:
What I want is a GTA outside America.

And it would suck because Rockstar couldnt do all the things that make GTA special. They know nothing about Italy and it wouldnt be worth moving there anyway.

Besides I dont know if Rockstar would do such a thing just to please fans who havent even played a GTA game before;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
And it would suck because Rockstar couldnt do all the things that make GTA special. They know nothing about Italy and it wouldnt be worth moving there anyway.

Besides I dont know if Rockstar would do such a thing just to please fans who havent even played a GTA game before;)

I've played all up until Vice city. I've played SA sporadically with some friends and same goes for GTA IV. But yeah, I lost interest in it because it got repetitive.

They know nothing about Italy and yet they make games about Italian-American Mafia families? Please, these guys aren't as ****ing stupid as you seem to think. If Japanese game studios can make American games for Americans, then why would an American game studio be incapable of doing something similar?

Your opinion doesn't equal fact so yeah... Seeing as there is a GTA based in London it's not necessary that it takes place in America. Of course you haven't played the game so it doesn't count as a GTA game for you lol... It's impossible to have a discussion like that.

El Pistolero said:
I've played all up until Vice city. I've played SA sporadically with some friends and same goes for GTA IV. But yeah, I lost interest in it because it got repetitive.

How did you get to Godfather III then? surely by II it was getting "repetitive"?

They know nothing about Italy and yet they make games about Italian-American Mafia families? Please, these guys aren't as ****ing stupid as you seem to think. If Japanese game studios can make American games for Americans, then why would an American game studio be incapable of doing something similar?

Because GTA is a parody of modern America.

Italian American mafia families are part of it. In fact they are heavily covered in hollywood, and GTA bases its stories and characters on hollywood ones.

Your opinion doesn't equal fact so yeah... Seeing as there is a GTA based in London it's not necessary that it takes place in America. Of course you haven't played the game so it doesn't count as a GTA game for you lol... It's impossible to have a discussion like that.

Ok class, try to notice the difference between these images. Which one is the odd one out. If you can work it out you get a Silver star.
And if your heads dont hurt from that puzzle, then answer this question. Which one do you think is GTA London.

grand+theft+auto+london+19691.png

gtaiii.gif

GTA.IV.0010012.jpg

Can you figure out why I consider GTA London to be different to modern gta games then, Pisti?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
How did you get to Godfather III then? surely by II it was getting "repetitive"?

Because GTA is a parody of modern America.

Italian American mafia families are part of it. In fact they are heavily covered in hollywood, and GTA bases its stories and characters on hollywood ones.

Ok class, try to notice the difference between these images. Which one is the odd one out. If you can work it out you get a Silver star.
And if your heads dont hurt from that puzzle, then answer this question. Which one do you think is GTA London.

grand+theft+auto+london+19691.png

gtaiii.gif

GTA.IV.0010012.jpg

Can you figure out why I consider GTA London to be different to modern gta games then, Pisti?

You do realize that one game is much older and that it was impossible to make a 3d city in the time the first 2 GTA's(+extensions) were released? It doesn't make it any less a GTA game lol.

I guess the first Zelda game isn't really a Zelda game as well :rolleyes:
GTA is not a parody of America. GTA is a sandbox game that takes place in a city filled with organized crime and you playing small criminal and slowly working your way up to the top as a big criminal(or tragic hero, whatever you'd like to call it). It uses inspiration of real life cities, movies, books, different cultures, etc

GTA II is actually a very good game. You should actually play it before you say it isn't a GTA game and more similar to tetris lol... It has all the things you think make a GTA game. It's only not in 3d with fancy graphics and I guess that is what matters most for modern gamers...

Since when does GTA mock American culture?

El Pistolero said:
You do realize that one game is much older and that it was impossible to make a 3d city in the time the first 2 GTA's(+extensions) were released? It doesn't make it any less a GTA game lol.

3rd city? I was talking about the birds eye vs 3rd person view.

I guess the first Zelda game isn't really a Zelda game as well :rolleyes:

I dont care about Zelda, as I said your not going to get anywhere just throwing out names of different games all the time. Im not talking about those games im talking about GTA,

Since when does GTA mock American culture

Christ you really havent played the game have you.

The games revolve around political issues especially Gun Control and in the the last game Immigration.

Homosexuality, terrorism.

All gta games feature major political figures (eg Shrub family - Bush family, no one would understand if they did it in Italy and parodied Berlusconi, because GTA gamers dont know him). Elections are fought on the air through the radio, on talk shows, refferenced by characters in missions and the player often has to influence these elections.

Fear of immigrants is a key theme - reason for bridges being closed to character and for maltreatment of several characters.

Vietnam vets and the experience also plays a key role.

The shops;
Various burger ad chicken joints s****s of American fast food, eg Burger Shot has an identical logo to Burger King.
Amunation - taking the **** out of gun control (also appears heavily in adverts with Derrick the Dodo organising kids nights and women nights at your local amunation.

There clothes stores. Perseus is based on Versace for example.

GTA San andreas focuses around the famous 1992 LA race riots. Everyone knows those but if they did it around a famous Italian riot no one would get the refference.

American music and film are refferenced. Love fist an American cross dressing heavy metal band parodying such bands from the 80's. Rappers in 1990's Los Santos.

Im afraid gamers wont get the refference to the 3 tennors, as much as I prefer them. Latino gangs, Black gangs, Italian orginsed crime, on based on portrayals people know well from films.

No one knows what the gangs are like in Italy.

Scenes from American movies such as the way executions are carried out. - last mission in vice city - based on Scarface final scene.

Key mission in GTALCS based on texas chainsaw massacre.

The Metlife building

3230510403_8d1ff7f75f.jpg

is parodied like this

GetaLifeBuilding-GTA4-exterior.jpg

I could go on and on.

Country folk are based on Negative portrayals of American hillbillies - they marry in the family, they are stupid, they are religious.

It is possible to find big foot in the forests.

The country music stations give advise on how to deal with you farm animals and bur your husband. The rap stations glorify gang violence. The hard rock stations urge listeners to protest by not voting.

I could go on and on and on.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
"3rd city? I was talking about the birds eye vs 3rd person view."

3D... If you don't even know what that is lol...

"I dont care about Zelda, as I said your not going to get anywhere just throwing out names of different games all the time. Im not talking about those games im talking about GTA,"

It was a perfect analogy as Zelda once too used the same bird view perspective for its early games and then switched to 3d worlds. Perhaps if you weren't so stuck up you'd have noticed.

"Christ you really havent played the game have you."
The games revolve around political issues especially Gun Control and in the the last game Immigration. "

Every single good game makes references like that. GTA is not a PARODY game. And again, you're assuming Americans are idiots again. And as shown, half of the people who buy GTA games ARE EUROPEAN. They don't get these dumb references and they don't give a sh*t because in all honesty: the game is about violence ;) Or are you saying Europeans are smarter and understand all these American references? There's also nobody stopping them from still using inspiration from movies. Are you saying that a scene like the end of Scarface can only take place in America? Don't think so. Vice city makes countless of Scarface references, but you could pull that off in any sandbox game even if it didn't take place in America. These things are called easter eggs. Just saying... It's possible to still include easter eggs in games based in Europe, Asia or Africa. That doesn't make the entire game a parody as it isn't. They are small hidden jokes = easter eggs. Countless of games have easter eggs and GTA isn't the first one to have used these kind of jokes in their games. Does that mean all games are parodies now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_(media))

It was a perfect analogy as Zelda once too used the same bird view perspective for its early games and then switched to 3d worlds. Perhaps if you weren't so stuck up you'd have noticed.

This is a GTA thread. Hence I dont care about Zelda. Nothing to do with being stuck up.

They don't get these dumb references and they don't give a sh*t because in all honesty: the game is about violence

The 6 million posts and 400 000 users on this forum says otherwise. http://www.gtaforums.com/

Nearing 2000 responces in this thread alone about analysing the 1 minute trailer.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=490646

They know there's violence. its the other stuff they care about.

Or this thread which has even inspired articles in gaming magazines, with die hard fans trying to work out the map based on snippets they find in the 10 or so images that were seen in the trailer.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=491242

Yeah, its all about the violence:rolleyes:

And as shown, half of the people who buy GTA games ARE EUROPEAN

You do realise much of Europe speaks English. And perhaps more than half of people with access to the game are at least able to understand it to a reasonable degree.
And those who dont are missing out on the full experience of the game. Just like Shrek was never as good in foreign languages as it was in its original.

Are you saying that a scene like the end of Scarface can only take place in America?

Well it makes more sence if it takes place in Miami :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

Got to agree with EP. Comparing the original GTA and GTA London to the current, 1st person games is pointless. Completely different.

Personally, I found GTA london to be much better than GTA.

Hitch, have you actually played the original GTA that was all top down view? Im a bit lost as to why you are singling the london game out as not being like GTA and inferior when it was basically GTA redone in a different city.

lets play spot the difference... see if you can spot the difference between these tthree images, and if thats too much, try saying which is GTA and which is GTAL and which i GTA2;)

gta2pp.jpg

gta.jpg

GTA_London_1969.JPG

answer: gta 2, gta, gta london

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This is a GTA thread. Hence I dont care about Zelda. Nothing to do with being stuck up.

The 6 million posts and 400 000 users on this forum says otherwise. http://www.gtaforums.com/

Nearing 2000 responces in this thread alone about analysing the 1 minute trailer.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=490646

They know there's violence. its the other stuff they care about.

Or this thread which has even inspired articles in gaming magazines, with die hard fans trying to work out the map based on snippets they find in the 10 or so images that were seen in the trailer.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=491242

Yeah, its all about the violence:rolleyes:

You do realise much of Europe speaks English. And perhaps more than half of people with access to the game are at least able to understand it to a reasonable degree.
And those who dont are missing out on the full experience of the game. Just like Shrek was never as good in foreign languages as it was in its original.

Well it makes more sence if it takes place in Miami :rolleyes:

Easter eggs can be found in any game even completely fictional games. How does it make less sense? If you get the reference you get the joke.

Take out the violence and no one will buy the game anymore just for these easter eggs. So yeah, it's definitely about the violence spiced up with funny easter eggs that add to the game. Still haven't heard a convincing argument as to why only American games can have easter eggs in them. Everyone is able to understand a GTA game because it has options for subtitles in your language. I wouldn't be so sure about all these Europeans understanding all these easter eggs though.

Perhaps this is just me, but I have not a single problem watching or playing something in a foreign language that I do not understand as long as it has subtitles. Luckily for us, Great Britain is English, so I see no problem there if GTA ever decided to move out America again like they did in the past.

The point about easter eggs is to discover them your self and if you don't get the reference then just look it up. I do it all the time if I don't get a certain joke in a game. Think it's safe to say that the majority of the people playing GTA games don't pay attention to most of the easter eggs in the games. This is a game played by 20 million people after all, including very young teens(even with the age restriction lol). You'd be surprised at the power of a brand name. Millions of people just buy GTA games because of the name of the game. The franchise is big enough to experiment with.

TRENDING THREADS