• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Heart defect

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have recently been diagnosed with having an atrial septum aneurysm,aparantly ive had it since birth,but since turning 40 three years ago ive started getting TIA,s(mild strokes).Its never stopped me training or racing at the highest amateur level,and hopefully i will have a few years left in me.Because of my sport the cardioligist and neuroligist are reluctant to put me on warfarin,I am currently on aspirin.But they seem to think the best method of treatment would be percutaneous closure.Is there anybody out there who has had this procedure done,how was your recovery and did you manage to get back to your best.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
no experience with it [that never stopped me from an opinion I am ashamed to say], but don't you think you'd never know what your "best" is unless it's fixed? Best of luck with it; I am sure you'll be fine.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
As a physician, I recommend following your cardiologist's advice. Getting a second opinion from another cardiologist is also a good idea. Your condition (as well as secondary conditions resulting from it) should not be taken lightly. Gather as much information as you can and make your decision based on long-term health benefits rather than short-term goals.

Best wishes for a long and happy life both on the bike and off.

Latest posts