• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hell Has Frozen Over: Lance "Considering" Admitting Guilt

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
If Floyd, Tyler et al have the courage to tell their stories to family and the world in person then this big buffoon should man up and do the same. Leaking press stories and using Graham Watson to write blogs is just as a pathetic as his entire career.

The man is weak and a nobody. Obscurity is the best place for him.

This.

Don't ever see a true confession. This is just a trial balloon to gauge how successful a parsed and vague confession could be for him.

Alpe d'Huez said:
This.

Don't ever see a true confession. This is just a trial balloon to gauge how successful a parsed and vague confession could be for him.

Thank-you.

Sadly JV has OD'ed on the kool aid over Christmas.

"@Vaughters: Despite our many differences over the years, if @lancearmstrong is truly coming forward, I have to respect it."

Armstrong will try to assert that he only started doping in Europe when he had to in order to compete. He should be required to fully confess about what he was doing on Subaru, the national team, and pre-natonal team triathlon. Scumbags like Chris Carmichael should be exposed.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Thank-you.

Sadly JV has OD'ed on the kool aid over Christmas.

"@Vaughters: Despite our many differences over the years, if @lancearmstrong is truly coming forward, I have to respect it."

Disagree. If LA does "truly" come forward -- confessions, revelations, apologies, the whole Road to Damascus -- then I think even hardcore Clinicians should respect it. But the "true" confession will never, ever, ever happen.

Race Radio said:
Yeah Betsy!

“If people give this guy another chance,” Andreu said, “then people are dumb.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i...nfession-drug-article-1.1233634#ixzz2H6xNJw5L

Betsy nails it.

Must drive Lance nuts to get beaten, again, by Frankie's fat, ugly and b*tchy old lady.

This whole 'maybe I will' thing is a page right out of OJ's book. Now we have Lance's version of "If I did it".

Most times analogies to OJ are stretching it. But, this time the parallel is appalling.

People are stupid, though. There are a lot of fanboys that are going to buy this nonsense.

Next question: What will Hein do? If Lance is threatens to expose him, shouldn't he expose Lance first?

Dave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Betsy nails it.

Must drive Lance nuts to get beaten, again, by Frankie's fat, ugly and b*tchy old lady.

This whole 'maybe I will' thing is a page right out of OJ's book. Now we have Lance's version of "If I did it".

Most times analogies to OJ are stretching it. But, this time the parallel is appalling.

People are stupid, though. There are a lot of fanboys that are going to buy this nonsense.

Next question: What will Hein do? If Lance is threatens to expose him, shouldn't he expose Lance first?

Dave.

I hope Bruyneel is thinking this very thing, "Will Lance throw me under the bus, I better do it 1st".

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
No one is beyond redemption.

Hey, despite being a lying, cheating, vindictive a-hole, even his biggest detractors in the peloton will agree that no matter how you slice it the guy was/is a great athlete. He'll of course never repair his legacy but in my eyes he could earn back a degree of respect IF he did the following:

1. Provided a complete confession going back to his junior days.
2. Testified to reveal the full depth of corruption within the UCI to bring down McQuaid, Verbruggen and any other conspirators within the UCI.
3. Testified against Ferrarri.
4. Revealed the sources of the drugs and how they were transported.
5. Issued full apologies to Betsy, Greg, Floyd, Emma, Bassons, Simeoni, Livestrong supporters, et al.
6. Began a sincere campaign against PEDs in the sport, including the amateur levels.

Of course none of this will do anything toward restoring faith in our sport in the eyes of the general public. And of course if he were to do all of this there could be numerous complications caused by all of the winged swine flapping overhead. :rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:
Hey, despite being a lying, cheating, vindictive a-hole, even his biggest detractors in the peloton will agree that no matter how you slice it the guy was/is a great athlete. He'll of course never repair his legacy but in my eyes he could earn back a degree of respect IF he did the following:

2. Testified to reveal the full depth of corruption within the UCI to bring down McQuaid, Verbruggen and any other conspirators within the UCI.
5. Issued full apologies to Betsy, Greg, Floyd, Emma, Bassons, Simeoni, Livestrong supporters, et al.
6. Began a sincere campaign against PEDs in the sport, including the amateur levels.

Of course none of this will do anything toward restoring faith in our sport in the eyes of the general public. And of course if he were to do all of this there could be numerous complications caused by all of the winged swine flapping overhead. :rolleyes:
indeed this is what a full redemption package could look like.

thoug I'd personally settle for #2.
That's where cycling's chances for change reside.
Not in any of the other points.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Tell you what...that "bus" must have long suspension travel the number of people that are about to be thrown under it.

Hein and Pat will jump first, grovelling apology to the IOC " we did what we had to do" chucking Lance and everyone else they have protected over the years under the bus.

Next Yo-han will do his mea culpa - Lance made me do it, he had some pictures of me with strippers that I couldn't have released.... (wasn't that his wedding pictures??)

The French will weigh in with the 2009 enquiry result confirming everyone but Berto on the team was doped to the gills to ensure that Lance got number 8.

The IOC will chuck cycling out of the Rio Olympics but accept both Pat and Hein as members of the IOC.......

and lastly lanceypoos - he'll bluster and confess to an extent, work to get the best deal he can but be left penniless as Floyd wins the whistleblower case and he'll still be banned forever!!

Unless it's the whole tale it's worthless!

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:

Missing:

1) Reimburse every single person fully for financial losses he caused. Long list.
2) Publicly admit to having caused emotional and material damages, namimg each person and what he did. Long list.
3) Give full disclosure a la "Sammy the Bull" Gravano....everybody, everything, all the details.
4) Come fully clean on Livestrong finances. Independent audit.

Never happen....he just wants to say enough to get back in the game, nothing more.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
I think this is a back door 'float a balloon' to see the reaction and whether it might be worthwhile for him to attempt.

So far the public reaction is decidedly adverse; he is being hosed over here and laughed at!
Agree.
This appears nothing more than kite flying exercise to see if he can restore any credibility, as you note reaction appears to be negative.

simo1733 said:
What if he cofesses to doping just so he could keep up with those nasty Euro's, and then someone uncovers proof that he has been doping since he was 16,
This is his big problem - Tygart will not be interested in accepting a limited confession. So Armstrong would have to offer up everything to get any type of reduction or run the risk of violating the terms and getting a life ban (again!!).

I don't see him ever confessing willingly to USADA.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:

7. Volunteer at local triathlons, running race, office-park crits, and muddy cross races for 10 years before ever being allowed to pin on a race number.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
What was the term used on here several months ago? I think it was Race Radio who said it. I think it was called:

"A managed admission"

That's exactly what I would expect. A carefully crafted, Teflon coated "admission" of having done something or other at some point in the past. Kind of. Sort of. And the fanboys will lap it up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I cant see all his former sponsors being too happy if he comes out and confesses,unless he is doing it with them on board. Quite possible with the integrity of his former sponsors.

But he is unlikely to win over public opinion if recent comment sections in various places are a guide.

Racelap said:
What was the term used on here several months ago? I think it was Race Radio who said it. I think it was called:

"A managed admission"

That's exactly what I would expect. A carefully crafted, Teflon coated "admission" of having done something or other at some point in the past. Kind of. Sort of. And the fanboys will lap it up.

A very conditional surrender.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
This is all part of a carefully measured, choreographed, systematic method to rebuild his image. Start with the hint that he might confess, which today has already swayed 5 percent of the population. Then a controlled confession, which will be turned around to put him in the most positive light as a victim - DO YOU HEAR ME: A VICTIM! - who was only nobly trying to do the right thing and save the world from cancer while among an evil, corrupt community of bike-racing thugs. Bazinga -- another 30 percent comes over to his side! He's only human, after all (another 5 percent!). And so on.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
trailrunner said:
This is all part of a carefully measured, choreographed, systematic method to rebuild his image. Start with the hint that he might confess, which today has already swayed 5 percent of the population. Then a controlled confession, which will be turned around to put him in the most positive light as a victim - DO YOU HEAR ME: A VICTIM! - who was only nobly trying to do the right thing and save the world from cancer while among an evil, corrupt community of bike-racing thugs. Bazinga -- another 30 percent comes over to his side! He's only human, after all (another 5 percent!). And so on.

That wont wash in the courts when all the people come after him for his fraud, cheating, defamation etc etc etc....