• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hell Has Frozen Over: Lance "Considering" Admitting Guilt

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like lance has been burning the midnight oil with his legal team.
I would imagine they have hashed out every scenario possible.
Sounds like he got hurt where it hurts the most,in the wallet.
I look for a minor confession and then becoming chief inspector for WADA.
He ain't done yet.
Probably will drag a ton of people under the bus.
Narcissism is untreatable.

The only chance LA has to rehabilitate himself before the public eye, if he cares to, would be a full confession in which everything is told and nothing is left unanswered, give all his winnings away to charity (as the corporate sponsors like Nike are only hypocritical opportunists and so deserve no compensation).

More than this, he would need to admit to his bullying ways, apologize to his victims privately and work on becoming a nice guy. The thing is, he doesn't owe this to his fans, the sport, or even the cancer sufferers, as much as he does to himself, so that he can live with himself and his past in less toxic ways.

Perhaps the greatest punishment, therefore, is living with the weight of all this on his mind (provided he even has a conscience) and so is self-inflicted. One has to wonder, with the game being up, how much this silence and denial is costing him morally and humanly. Then write a book about it and live off that.

A possible title would be: LA: How I Made Myself Invincible and Hoodwinked Everybody and Nearly Got Away With It.

D-Queued said:
Betsy nails it.

Must drive Lance nuts to get beaten, again, by Frankie's fat, ugly and b*tchy old lady.

This whole 'maybe I will' thing is a page right out of OJ's book. Now we have Lance's version of "If I did it".

Most times analogies to OJ are stretching it. But, this time the parallel is appalling.

People are stupid, though. There are a lot of fanboys that are going to buy this nonsense.

Next question: What will Hein do? If Lance is threatens to expose him, shouldn't he expose Lance first?

Dave.

I can tell you this much: IF he confesses(and "outs" UCI) that means so long to our good friend & delusional pos McQuack, as he'll be busted big time for being a lying fraud too. Pat better start collecting the moving boxes for his upcoming move.

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
trailrunner said:
Exactly. So if you were in his shoes, or if you were his PR manager, how would you rehabilitate his image?

Rule one in PR, get all the bad news out on the table immediately. It's the drip drip drip that destroys a brand.

But...Lance can't have told his PR advisors of all the potential bad news - he wandered the globe in private planes with "stuff" and "cash".

His world is falling in on itself. He's done wholesale bad, the level of Hein/McQuaid/Fabiani is really only going to help with retail violations, so to speak.

Some of you think Tygart is going to let Armstrong get away with a managed confession, a la Jason Giambi. Say sorry, but not admit what he's sorry for just to keep rockin' the Speedos at Kona.

Armstrong is no longer in control of the narrative. He can't bully anyone anymore. Nothing is in his control anymore.

He either comes clean about everything or no deal. Why would Tygart agree to anything less?

As for the UCI, my belief is those cats are sufficiently insulated from any Armstrong fallout that they won't get burned. They've dotted their i's and crossed their t's way in advance of this.

Bruyneel, Marti and Ferrari are the ones who should be concerned. Very concerned.

Oldman said:
Wow, this blew up while I was asleep!
This was predictable over a year ago and you are close to the reason why as was RR and others.
He still craves the attention and the money that validates it. If he says anything it would be as vague as most of you believe it to be and he'll single out a devilish perpetrator like the UCI. He'll suggest "we all had to cheat to play" but won't provide much detail. Does he expect to compete? Probably only so far as it generates press and continues to serve his addiction to public adoration. Is this nuts? Most certainly.
Again, his vague admission will place him in the athletic pantheon below Pete Rose; able to sign memorabilia for pay. He'll have a few "fans" and many crashside gawkers.
He will never own his actions and on that you can go to the bank.

Me being the huge Lemond fan that I am, I would welcome an "autograph signing" by Wonderboy out here in SoCal why? I would purposely go there to talk *** to him, and call him names. I'd start asking him things like "how ,does it feel to be Greg's *****boy and know you're not the greatest american cyclist ever, he is? must hurt huh Wonderboy, you worthless pos". I have no problems acceptiing my bannishment from said event.:D

He may be wanting to cut a deal with the Feds at the same time in order to stop himself being locked up. If he is going to implicate others there are going to be a lot of current riders who will be pschitting themselves.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
zalacain said:
He may be wanting to cut a deal with the Feds at the same time in order to stop himself being locked up. If he is going to implicate others there are going to be a lot of current riders who will be pschitting themselves.

Understatement.

I would venture that there are well over 100 people that will get tarred if there is a partial admission.

I wonder if he is returning Verbruggen's texts, Ferrari's coded emails, and Chris Horner's hand written letters.....

zalacain said:

Dare I say Wiggo and others? I mean, we know Contadors story, but does this hurt Alberto/other riders even more if Wonderboy spills the beans finally, and will it implicate others who we don't know about?

If he is going to implicate others there are going to be a lot of current riders who will be pschitting themselves.

That's exactly my thought too, I'm sure(as I asked/mentioned above) there are still riders/folks we don;t know about who will most certainly be outed then, should Wonderboy go through with all of this.

Guys like: Wiggo/Cadel(and I hope not w/Cadel)/Cavendish and others will be done IMO.

Chris Carmichael will almost certainly be done, all of his cycling businesses and so forth, as well as Ochowicz.

Also, someone mentioned sponsors/endorsements, what sponsor/company is going to dare hitch their wagon to Wonderboy now? He's toxic, and would be a PR nightmare for them, no companies want PR fallout from something like this, maybe Nike because they don't care, but most of the others will stay as far away from Wonderboy as they can. He's basically f*&^% himself endorsement/sponsor wise for the forseeable future IMO.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
The sounds of 30-odd clenching body parts echoed around the world. Pretty sure Lance let that semi-admission out without letting anyone in the loop know he was going to do it. Maximum impact, and reminiscent of JB actually continuing to go to arbitration.

I can imagine a few phone calls back to Lance.

As a ploy, admit possible confession and have his phone tapped. That's a honey pot worth its weight in gold I'd wager.

zalacain said:

If Floyd is a big fat liar with very weak credibility (and indeed he is), then Lance is one of the biggest fattest liars that ever walked the face of the earth. Any human being would be a complete moron to trust a single sound that is emitted from the lie projector Armstrong calls a mouth.

Anything, and I mean anything, coming from Armstrong's mouth would have to be corroborated by really good evidence that is free of the Armstrong taint. Otherwise no lawyer would dare bring Armstrong's testimony into court.

No current riders are at risk from Lance's testimony unless there is already substantial corroborative evidence of their doping. That would only apply to USPS Conspiracy dopers, I reckon.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The biggest question for me will always be: how can a cancer patient - not even five years free of cancer [that is when u are really diagnozed 'cancer-free'] use human growth hormones [increases tumors], EPO [the same] and other PED's which will not good for the cancer cells in your body. That would be a good question for Kimmage to ask at the admission press conference.

Wonderboy needs a psychiatrist, he is a hardcore selfmutilator.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
The biggest question for me will always be: how can a cancer patient - not even five years free of cancer [that is when u are really diagnozed 'cancer-free'] use human growth hormones [increases tumors], EPO [the same] and other PED's which will not good for the cancer cells in your body. That would be a good question for Kimmage to ask at the admission press conference.

Wonderboy needs a psychiatrist, he is a hardcore selfmutilator.

Using his body as a chemical factory for all those years does not bode well for healthy longevity.

A lot of very sick ex cyclists out there.

sorry!

ChewbaccaD said:
He.will.not.confess.

amazing! the slightest whiff of a confession and the forum goes MAD.....

and it's not as though the source was close to lance

now imagine if we really did see lance on tv?

sorry! i agree with chewie there will be no confession ..............lance and

johan have retreated..............'gone' hoping not to rock the boat further

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
amazing! the slightest whiff of a confession and the forum goes MAD.....

and it's not as though the source was close to lance

now imagine if we really did see lance on tv?

sorry! i agree with chewie there will be no confession ..............lance and

johan have retreated..............'gone' hoping not to rock the boat further

Lack of a denial from Lance Armstrong camp very telling.

woodburn said:
What still strikes me is the none of this would have come out if he just gave for Floyd a spot on his team. What a horrible decision on his party to be arrogant. For all of his mistakes, I will respect Floyd for his role in this.

Or not returned in 2009...

Lots and lots of bad decisions in his career/life.

MarkvW said:
Any human being would be a complete moron to trust a single sound that is emitted from the lie projector Armstrong calls a mouth.

Sad thing is, there ARE still some dolts out there who hang on his every word and actually DO still believe he's innocent and this is all a "witchhunt".

But you're spot on.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of Tim Herman, do any of Lance's paid liars have problems if Lance makes a full confession? Could Herman get disbarred if it was obvious he knew Lance had doped? Could he be sued for defamation?