• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hell Has Frozen Over: Lance "Considering" Admitting Guilt

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't get it. Why stir this up?

I would quietly pay off whatever is required legally, then slink off to Bali or somewhere and live the rest of my life in comfort off of the $ we all know he has stashed all over the world.

I should start a sports celebrity advice company. I would have advised LA to pay FL to be his gardener and to STFU right about now, and advised Tiger Woods to have a separate cell phone for his sexting.

Just goes to show you don't have to be very smart to be good at sports.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
If this is correct then there's no need for anymore speculation.

This is THE REASON for the confession. He's goin down anyway so may as well try and look good when he does.

How can he look good?

Damage limitation is what is being sought, testing public opinion.LieStrong without Wonderboy will fade very quickly.

This is all being calculated and probably has not too much to do with competing again more with keeping his @ss out of clink although no doubt he would like to compete again being a PED junkie and will need the $$$$s.

I'd be surprised if he does confess, although at this point perhaps he's got no choice, especially if the fed case re-opens against him.

People that say, however, that LA was only doing what everybody else did, don't know the facts. He didn't pay Ferrari 1 million dollars for nothing (to only work intimately with him during his Tour streak, for example). One of the things that Hamilton's book clarifies, is that at the point at which he started to do transfusions on Postal, Lance was already privileged to this treatment for some time before anyone else on the team. Hamilton also believes that LA had sole access to a synthetic blood. In short, LA didn't just look to win on the bike through doping, but also win the doping arms race, by staying ahead of the game and this is how he gave himself a nearly unbeatable edge.

Moreover, he slandered many and ruined others: this from riders like Bassons to Simeoni, to Betsy and Emma, to Walsh - for his book LA Confidential - whom he sued and won, to Kimmage, to ruining Lemond's bike business with Trek. To say nothing of having the collusion of the UCI and ASO.

So, no, he wasn't just an average doper, but a privileged and protected egomaniac. He worked the system and doping regime greater than anyone, while tried to, and in many cases did, ruin anyone who got in his way, making punitive strikes if he even suspected that another rider was up to something he wasn't. Such was his paranoia of being outdone in cheating. Hamilton's book also brings this to light.

How good of an athlete he actually was will never be known, because he never saw sport as anything other than "you dope to win." It now seems certain that already as a teenage tri athlete he was doing steroids. He thus had a doping regime accompany him his entire sporting career. He simply didn't know how to play the game any other way, couldn't even contemplate performing clean, which in his own words was for idiots and losers; because if you didn't compete to win, win, win, you were either an idiot or a loser (and probably an a-hole too), or both. For LA, though, it wasn't just about doping, but doping better than anyone else, for which, again, he was always paranoid about being outdone. Although it was just that, his paranoia. He obtained such a name for himself and so much power in the sport, that he got the best treatment this and his unrivaled earnings could buy and most likely was given new drugs only he had access to in the beginning. Nobody was going to beat Armstrong at doping, this was what really transformed him (not cancer) into becoming the ex-greatest Tour rider ever. So he was the best doped athlete, which of course has nothing to do with being the best athlete and, besides that, a world class cynic and liar. Nobody could outdo him in these categories either, not in being cynical, nor at lying, or at being ruthless.

The only thing worth hearing his confession for, would be if he were to provide details on how he was able to stay one step ahead of the competition in this regard. What new stuff was he on and who were his sources of info./providers?

I still believe, and said so at the time, that the smart thing would have been an admission months ago. He should have realised the USADA is not ****ing around this time and that the UCI can't protect him anymore.

If he had played this whole thing smarter he could have salvaged his reputation to some extent. Late than never will still be a better situation for him than what he's in now though.
Which is why I hope he won't admit anything. He's not going to say **** about McQuaid, he's not going to implicate Bruyneel or Ochowicz or say any of the other things he could say that we in the Clinic would be interested in hearing (and there are undoubtedly still many stories we don't know). A half-assed confession would only help himself, but not cycling.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Siriuscat said:
Tell you what...that "bus" must have long suspension travel the number of people that are about to be thrown under it.

Hein and Pat will jump first, grovelling apology to the IOC " we did what we had to do" chucking Lance and everyone else they have protected over the years under the bus.

Next Yo-han will do his mea culpa - Lance made me do it, he had some pictures of me with strippers that I couldn't have released.... (wasn't that his wedding pictures??)

The French will weigh in with the 2009 enquiry result confirming everyone but Berto on the team was doped to the gills to ensure that Lance got number 8.

The IOC will chuck cycling out of the Rio Olympics but accept both Pat and Hein as members of the IOC.......

and lastly lanceypoos - he'll bluster and confess to an extent, work to get the best deal he can but be left penniless as Floyd wins the whistleblower case and he'll still be banned forever!!

Unless it's the whole tale it's worthless!

Lance will never throw anyone under the bus. He, like his fanbois, believe in the stupid code of "not being a snitch," so any confession (which I still don't believe will happen) would include some bullsh!t statement slamming everyone who came forward against him, and his resolve not to be like them and name names.

He is a sociopath. This will be a sociopath's confession, if there is a confession.

Dr. Maserati said:
Agree.
This appears nothing more than kite flying exercise to see if he can restore any credibility, as you note reaction appears to be negative.

This is his big problem - Tygart will not be interested in accepting a limited confession. So Armstrong would have to offer up everything to get any type of reduction or run the risk of violating the terms and getting a life ban (again!!).

I don't see him ever confessing willingly to USADA.

Something a little more than just a kite flying exercise. By doing this, Lance is seriously messing with Johan. Tygart wouldn't just take an "admission" from Lance. He would want something more. He's already got his reasoned decision and a pile of overwhelming evidence. He doesn't need an admission from Lance. Lance can do an admission without Tygart.

Seems to me that Tygart would want Lance to testify against the contesting parties. It is also clear that Lance would know that. Maybe Lance is sending Johan a message to quit and STFU or Lance will drop some hurt city on him.

I agree with you that this is just another example of Lance leaking stuff again.

The advantage of this theory is that it is consistent with the behavior of an a**h*** and a complete jerk. Lance could wait until Johan's proceedings were over, but nooooooooo.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
That wont wash in the courts when all the people come after him for his fraud, cheating, defamation etc etc etc....

This will just add to his victim status. There are still a lot of people out there who think USADA wasted taxpayer's money to single him out. This will add to the "why am I the only one?" victim status in the simple minds of the mainstream.

rhubroma said:
People that say, however, that LA was only doing what everybody else did, don't know the facts...Moreover, he slandered many and ruined others...He worked the system and doping regime greater than anyone

For sure inside the clinic all this is known, but not outside the clinic. Go to Runners World a couple of months ago when people were questioning KA's column. The women who came to her (and LA's) defense don't know or care about these details. If you go to the non-exercising crowd, even more people are on the fence about him. Right or wrong, they really do see it as "LA was only doing what everybody else did."

gjdavis60 said:
A confession would be redundant, wouldn't it? He's already been found guilty. He is guilty. Convicted criminals confess to their crimes all the time, but it doesn't change the verdict or the punishment.

Yeah, but a guy who's convicted of murder might get his death sentence reduced to life if he tells the police about two other bodies that weren't discovered. Not sure what the WADA equivalent to that would be, since I can't imagine what he could tell Tygart (that's provable in a court setting) that would motivate him to set the life-time ban aside.

No, if a confession comes it would be purely for the general public imo. Maybe it would get him invited to some non-sanctioned triathlon again but certainly no Ironman.

ChewbaccaD said:
Lance will never throw anyone under the bus. He, like his fanbois, believe in the stupid code of "not being a snitch," so any confession (which I still don't believe will happen) would include some bullsh!t statement slamming everyone who came forward against him, and his resolve not to be like them and name names.

He is a sociopath. This will be a sociopath's confession, if there is a confession.

The problem with this may be, where is the line drawn between being a sociopath that he is, and selling his soul to the devil, which he has done several times already. Or is there a line? He is in so far there really is no return for him but he will try.
Sorry I must sound confusing but do you get what I am trying to say?

ChewbaccaD said:

But isn't Lance messing with Johan by conducting this exercise? And didn't Lance snitch off other riders to the UCI when he was on top?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
The problem with this may be, where is the line drawn between being a sociopath that he is, and selling his soul to the devil, which he has done several times already. Or is there a line? He is in so far there really is no return for him but he will try.

Wow, this blew up while I was asleep!
This was predictable over a year ago and you are close to the reason why as was RR and others.
He still craves the attention and the money that validates it. If he says anything it would be as vague as most of you believe it to be and he'll single out a devilish perpetrator like the UCI. He'll suggest "we all had to cheat to play" but won't provide much detail. Does he expect to compete? Probably only so far as it generates press and continues to serve his addiction to public adoration. Is this nuts? Most certainly.
Again, his vague admission will place him in the athletic pantheon below Pete Rose; able to sign memorabilia for pay. He'll have a few "fans" and many crashside gawkers.
He will never own his actions and on that you can go to the bank.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
trailrunner said:
This will just add to his victim status. There are still a lot of people out there who think USADA wasted taxpayer's money to single him out. This will add to the "why am I the only one?" victim status in the simple minds of the mainstream.

I think only a very small minority see him as a victim. Judging by comments sections he is seen as the fraud, cheat, bully and more than the run of the mill doper

We still have yet to hear the full collusion details between him and the UCI. He could also be tied into the Amgen EPO scandal yet.

trailrunner said:
For sure inside the clinic all this is known, but not outside the clinic. Go to Runners World a couple of months ago when people were questioning KA's column. The women who came to her (and LA's) defense don't know or care about these details. If you go to the non-exercising crowd, even more people are on the fence about him. Right or wrong, they really do see it as "LA was only doing what everybody else did."

I think lot of the public have got past the "LA was only doing what everybody else did" otherwise there would be no need for the idea of a confession. His income has dried up, no speaking engagements, no charity, no sponsors. He has lots of $$$$ troubles ahead.

Whether the liestrong interns have given up the trolling on comment sections remains to be seen, they are not so much in here as they lost the battle in the clinic, but Runners World is another story as cycling was not their sport.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it will be very difficult for Wonderboy to say he had to dope to play. Too many will tear that apart. All the other stuff we know about his doping, the bullying, buying off the UCI, lying about Emily, Betsy, and the use of his yella shield will all come back to bite him hard!

Then there are guys like Bob Hamman who are out for blood.

veganrob said:

You are confusing Wondeboy with someone who is not a predator. Inside Wonderboy's head, I'm sure he thinks he has a conscience and all that, but it's all broken.

If this story is real, he is completely locked-out of IOC anything. He's like Floyd Landis/Rassmussen locked-out and radioactive.

Hein isn't pushing the matter inside the IOC. You have to wonder how that conversation goes between Hein and Wonderboy. "Oh, hey Lance.... Uh, yeah no progress." Nevermind the simple fact executive management of a sports league is working closely with an athlete isn't appropriate. It's so complete it seems the usual IOC grease, bribery, is not working.

The Johann angle might be interesting. Maybe Johann has been threatening to unleash some controversy and Hein needs Wonderboy to screw with him.

Interesting and terrible, like driving by a car crash and gawking. It's obvious the guy can't stay away and hasn't changed one bit.

I don't think the IOC will entertain a fabricated confession though. Too much doping controversy. It would take a year to fabricate a story that fits with all the published evidence and doesn't mention Wiesel or Pat and Hein. I would not be surprised if there's some stuff about Contador in it just to try to discredit him. Make no mistake, whatever passed as a confession would be fabricated.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I think lot of the public have got past the "LA was only doing what everybody else did" otherwise there would be no need for the idea of a confession. His income has dried up, no speaking engagements, no charity, no sponsors. He has lots of $$$$ troubles ahead.

Exactly. So if you were in his shoes, or if you were his PR manager, how would you rehabilitate his image?

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I think it will be very difficult for Wonderboy to say he had to dope to play.

All he has to do is point to all the other top-10 finishers who have been DQ'd. Among my non-cycling friends and relatives, they all believe that all racers doped.

trailrunner said:
Exactly. So if you were in his shoes, or if you were his PR manager, how would you rehabilitate his image?

He's locked out of ALL of the bigger money weekend warrior endurance events. He can't even do Leadville (occasionally USAC/UCI sanctioned) even though the promoter has a man-crush on Wonderboy. He's so radioactive his pimp Wiesel can't figure something out.

Meanwhile, the guy cannot, will not rehabilitate himself. He's a terrible actor. If he could shut up and lay low for 5-10 years, it might be a start. Even then, it would be the equivalent of a "Milken foundation." Zero association with his original scammer buddies.

He's not "doomed" but the court of public opinion has turned on him and it seems done, not complete either. No PR agency can fix this. If we are lucky, the clawbacks with SCA and such will make matters worse for him.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
trailrunner said:
All he has to do is point to all the other top-10 finishers who have been DQ'd. Among my non-cycling friends and relatives, they all believe that all racers doped.

But it will be pointed out he had the UCI in his pocket amongst other unfair advantages, hardly a level field.

If USADA, Walsh, LeMond, Betsy, Kimmage, Vaughters, Pound and others dont believe his confession is the real McCoy then it will not work.

Who has the ultimate decision on his ban, Tygart? Well he'll need to give a hell of information about a long time of doping to get a reduction. Watch out UCI, ASO, RCS, Bruyneel, Ferarri, motoman and others

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
trailrunner said:

Disappear for 10 years and maybe come back to work for a charity not as a spokesman but as a normal person who puts in honest day to make the world better. He is never going to be a public icon anymore when all this is through.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
From NY Times article:

According to the World Anti-Doping Code, an athlete might be eligible for a reduced punishment if he fully confesses and details how he doped, who helped him dope and how he got away with doping. But a reduced lifetime ban might decrease only to eight years or four, at best, antidoping experts said.

I predict the Lance "confession", if it happens, will be limited to the minimum to return him to the fold with his non cycling public and sponsors so as to re-generate income flow.

To satisfy the Code he would have to throw UCI, Hein and Patty under a bus as they allegedly conspired to enable him to dope. Would be good for cycling as those UCI Presidents, past and present, would be personae non grata to hold positions in cycling.

He also runs the risk in a full confession to satisfy USADA/WADA that he could attract criminal charges for bribery.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
trailrunner said:

Nothing he is beyond redemption.

He has nothing left to offer the general public. He is too old for serious sport.

The only thing that can possibly set him free and rehabilitate his image, even then it goes against everything he has been in his life up until now, and that is the truth coupled with true repentance. That will not earn him much money so he wont take that road.