• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
1. Valverde
2. Purito
3. Freire/Contador.

For reasonable weights given to one day races and stage races. With greater weight given to one day races, Freire would move towards the top. With greater weight given to stage races, someone like Contador would have a good case.

Re: Re:

DBotero said:
Come on,you should know by now there can't be two best Spanish riders,Valverde>Contador :)
Your opinion, I guess.
damian13ster said:
Best rider of his generation. Strong climber, very good sprint, great endurance, insane peak for almost entire year. Tons of wins, always there at the business end of the race. Its not even close.
And dont care how big his ego gets. This is deserved
Your opinion, I guess.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
1. Valverde
2. Purito
3. Freire/Contador.

For reasonable weights given to one day races and stage races. With greater weight given to one day races, Freire would move towards the top. With greater weight given to stage races, someone like Contador would have a good case.
Okay, I gave you kudos in the Porte thread, but this is a bit too obvious. Try harder next time.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
DBotero said:
Come on,you should know by now there can't be two best Spanish riders,Valverde>Contador :)
Your opinion, I guess.
damian13ster said:
Best rider of his generation. Strong climber, very good sprint, great endurance, insane peak for almost entire year. Tons of wins, always there at the business end of the race. Its not even close.
And dont care how big his ego gets. This is deserved
Your opinion, I guess.

It isn't comparable really.

The only thing you can say imo, is that Valverde is the best (hill)classics rider of his generation and Contador the best stage racer of his area.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Fernandez said:
Contador has been after his ban a 75% of what he used to be, Valverde has returned after his ban at least at 100% of he used to be.

I don't think the Contador 2014 was 75% of the Contador 2010 and before.

Fernandez said:
Arredondo said:
Fernandez said:
Contador has been after his ban a 75% of what he used to be, Valverde has returned after his ban at least at 100% of he used to be.

Best Contador was Tour2009 and Giro2011, he destroyed everyone in these two races. He has never returned to that form.
My friend, 2014 was his best season ever. :)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Fernandez said:
Arredondo said:
Fernandez said:

Best Contador was Tour2009 and Giro2011, he destroyed everyone in these two races. He has never returned to that form.

You say he wasn't at 75% of his old form in 2014.

LaFlorecita said:
BigMac said:
Florecita, get a grip. Tab out the thread, you should be questioning instead why your one trick pony, beloved Alberto, will never achieve something such as this.
You're right, my guy will never achieve something like this. He won 6/8 GTs though, how many does your idol have? :D Ha

Typical. Girl, quantity =/= quality and variety. I will give him some credit the day he starts regularly winning or performing outside the mountains and stage races, otherwise he will just be some other Kittel.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

roundabout said:
When I think of Freire, I think of Worlds, Sanremo and Brabantse Pijl. I would really struggle to name any other 1-day race of note that he had won.

Strictly speaking, only his Worlds results would make him a better 1-day race than say someone like Zabel.

Gent-Wevelgem ;)

BigMac said:
LaFlorecita said:
BigMac said:
Florecita, get a grip. Tab out the thread, you should be questioning instead why your one trick pony, beloved Alberto, will never achieve something such as this.
You're right, my guy will never achieve something like this. He won 6/8 GTs though, how many does your idol have? :D Ha

Typical. Girl, quantity =/= quality and variety. I will give him some credit the day he starts regularly winning or performing outside the mountains and stage races, otherwise he will just be some other Kittel.
Sure :D

yeah-ok-whatever-floats-your-goat.jpeg

:D

Arredondo said:
roundabout said:
When I think of Freire, I think of Worlds, Sanremo and Brabantse Pijl. I would really struggle to name any other 1-day race of note that he had won.

Strictly speaking, only his Worlds results would make him a better 1-day race than say someone like Zabel.

Gent-Wevelgem ;)

Did you google that?

He did win Paris-Tours late in his career, and something else (Hamburg?), but outside of the Worlds and Sanremo he wasn't that special for all the times he get's mentioned as one of the best 1-day racers.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

roundabout said:
Arredondo said:
roundabout said:

Gent-Wevelgem ;)

Did you google that?

He did win Paris-Tours late in his career, and something else (Hamburg?), but outside of the Worlds and Sanremo he wasn't that special for all the times he get's mentioned as one of the best 1-day racers.

No, actually i knew it straight away ;)

Well, if you winning 3 monuments, perhaps you are one of the best 1-day racers. If he was an impressive one day racer, is something else.

In what world does Zabel have *more* major 1-day wins than Freire?

Freire:_____Zabel:
WC________MSR
WC________MSR
WC________MSR
MSR_______MSR
MSR_______Amstel
MSR_______P-T
G-W_______P-T
P-T________P-T
Vattenfall__Vattenfall
Brabantse Pijl
Brabantse Pijl
Brabantse Pijl

No matter where you cut it off as to what is a big 1-day win, Zabel doesn't have more.

Re:

roundabout said:
Which again brings us back to my point that it's only* the Worlds results that make Freire stand out, as Zabel actually has more major 1-day wins, yet hardly ever seems to get mentioned.

People tend to associate Zabel with that green jersey,i always remember him for that and not for his 1 day wins.But there is really no contest,Freire was of different caliber.

LaFlorecita said:
BigMac said:
LaFlorecita said:
BigMac said:

Sure :D

yeah-ok-whatever-floats-your-goat.jpeg

:D

Are you one of those who finds it funny and cutesy to act as like infant?

TRENDING THREADS