• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

gerundium said:
how do you guys think valverde is going to do this Tour de france? there are quite some stages where he could get a good placement. His GC ambitions i am unsure about, i think he is meant to help quintana but don't know if he will?

He's definitely going for the GC, in all his interviews i read he always tried to convince himself he can win it and i don't think that willl ever change.

He can win a lot of stages, many are suited for him.

Valverde will likely have a great first (and a half or so) week to crumble after. Lot of finishes in that first week that work well for him, when it gets steeper though he'll definitely crack soon enough.

Will probably win at least 1 stage (preferably Mur de Huy or Mur de Bretagne) and end in the low top-10.

My fantasy of course would be him trying to win the Green Jersey ala Jalabert 95, but with the current point system, that favours flat stage finishers, it is impossible.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what level of form he will bring to the Tour, he didn't look so good in the Dauphine. He will try to win some stages in the first week for sure, but after that, I don't know... If form is there he'll try to be up there in the GC, to be a double threat with Quintana, try to attack while Nairo follows. Or maybe he's building slowly trying to peak at the Vuelta, we'll see...

Re:

gerundium said:
how do you guys think valverde is going to do this Tour de france? there are quite some stages where he could get a good placement. His GC ambitions i am unsure about, i think he is meant to help quintana but don't know if he will?
There are a lot of ways to help...it is good to have 2 captains. In a Tour where there are several tactic stages: Cauterets, Lacets, ...to play with 2 cards will be very important.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
gerundium said:
There are a lot of ways to help...it is good to have 2 captains. In a Tour where there are several tactic stages: Cauterets, Lacets, ...to play with 2 cards will be very important.

I agree, I think that will be a huge advantage for Movistar. In the end I think Valverde will benefit more from it than Quintana. Of course it can also cause internal problems but I think in this race because there are four main favourites it won't be an issue.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so sure Valverde will have a great first week. He was way below par in Dauphiné. So he will likely not be 100% in the first Tour week either. Good luck on the Mur against Purito, Dan Martin, Kwiatkowski and some other guys.

He wants to be in top shape for La Vuelta, so i don't expect him to have a fantastic Tour.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The most Spanish of the Big Spaniards wins the Spanish Road Race, as it should be

bettiniphoto_0213473_1_full_670.jpg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
He does love the heat. Hard to say whether this victory is a sign of good form though as he didn't compete against other big names. Will be good to see him don the Spanish jersey in the tour.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

No_Balls said:
Well a victory is a victory and it surely as hell is not a sign of going backwards at least. Besides, Balaverde doesnt have to be on top of his game to own Mur.

He has it in his pockets unless he doesnt mess up.

Yes he needs to be on the top of his game to win on the Mur. With a good Purito and Dan Martin, he needs to be in top shape. Come on, he lost plenty of times on the Muy in his prime days.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Arredondo said:
No_Balls said:
Well a victory is a victory and it surely as hell is not a sign of going backwards at least. Besides, Balaverde doesnt have to be on top of his game to own Mur.

Yes he needs to be on the top of his game to win on the Mur. With a good Purito and Dan Martin, he needs to be in top shape. Come on, he lost plenty of times on the Muy in his prime days.

And he won it the last 2 years, destroying purito. Let's not be biased shall we? He's the clear favorite.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Miburo said:
Arredondo said:
No_Balls said:

And he won it the last 2 years, destroying purito. Let's not be biased shall we? He's the clear favorite.

You don't read? I say he will not win if he is not in top shape. Not that's he not going to win if he's in shape :eek: .

He only beated Purito this year. Fair and square. But it will be a lot closer this Tour, mark my words.

Arredondo said:
Miburo said:
Arredondo said:
No_Balls said:

You don't read? I say he will not win if he is not in top shape. Not that's he not going to win if he's in shape :eek: .

He only beated Purito this year. Fair and square. But it will be a lot closer this Tour, mark my words.
Valverde has won 3 FW and Purito 1. Thats fair and square.

What "Miburo" said more or less. Sure, not on his absolute best was perhaps exaggregated but it was more a reflection over Pitis season in relation to his closests competitors. It generally feels as if he's sharper, more focused and overall dominant then ever. He has stepped up his game and could the same be said with Purito?

It will be hard to look past Bala here.

TRENDING THREADS