• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
BigMac said:
Moviestar said:
BigMac said:
''I had the legs to win the stage''.

Only you didn't even try to win the stage. :eek:

Only Nairo was with him, no teammates left.

I'm not sure what you mean Moviestar. Daniel Martin was alone.

Did he won?

He tried, look up my first comment. But if you want to put it that way, how many did Vuillermoz have? Not that it proves anything.

BigMac said:
Moviestar said:
BigMac said:

With this kind of finishes Valverde needs someone who controls the attacks and set the pace high with the purpose of Valverde outsprinting the others ( like Sagan). See the Super Besse finish in 2008 where he was in a samelike situation. A good Rojas would be a perfect fit for this kind of role. ( like in Catalunya multiple times this year)A solo attack of Valverde wouldn't have effect as he would be immediately marked by the others. D.Martin knew he couldn't win in a sprint so it was logical that he went for the attack so he didn't have the need of teammates unlike types like Valverde and Sagan.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

BigMac said:
Mr.White said:
BigMac said:
Moviestar said:
BigMac said:

Did he won?

He tried, look up my first comment.

Martin tried what he's best at - late attack, but apparently he was little late and Vuillermoz was really strong.
Valverde played his strongest card too, waited for last 200-300m. He didn't had much help, because team had to protect Nairo, so he was pretty much on his own. If he had one strong teammate to pull after Vuillermoz attacked he would of likely won. Also he wasn't probably sure about his strength, so he tried to conserve energy for the final punch. Presence of Sagan didn't helped too...

Re:

capuldemetal said:
He did what he does best.One can only love or hate this guy

Did you watch the Ardennes this year?
Mr.White said:
BigMac said:
[quote="

Martin tried what he's best at - late attack, but apparently he was little late and Vuillermoz was really strong.
Valverde played his strongest card too, waited for last 200-300m. He didn't had much help, because team had to protect Nairo, so he was pretty much on his own. If he had one strong teammate to pull after Vuillermoz attacked he would of likely won. Also he wasn't probably sure about his strength, so he tried to conserve energy for the final punch. Presence of Sagan didn't helped too...

I think this is some of it. He certainly hasn't been on top form. Still, I don't think he was going to be able to win today even had he gone with those three. His only real chance to win was to sit and wait for someone else to bring Alexis back and hope Sagan was worked from the climb.

Arredondo said:
BigMac said:
How wasn't he sure about his strenght when he just said he had the legs to win? ;)

He just didn't had the legs. But admitting it is another thing. Just read the reactions of Katusha and others ;)

This time that I'm willing to admit he screwed up, people don't agree with me? :confused: :p

It's not really a matter of admiting or not, he actually chose to say he had the legs to win. Which I don't doubt.

So much hate about Valverde. One of the best riders in the last 10/20 years. The problem with people like Valverde or Sagan is that everybody are watching you. Valverde has been marked every single race since 10 years ago. Nobody cares too much about Martin besides all he has won, hes not even close to Valverdes level. So Valverde has to be very careful about the moment he decides to attack because he can drag someone else to the line. Today i think he was clearly the strongest, its only about to check the faces everybody had at the finish. He entered whistling. Despite all this, its been very deserved win by Vuillermoz.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Fernandez said:
So much hate about Valverde. One of the best riders in the last 10/20 years. The problem with people like Valverde or Sagan is that everybody are watching you. Valverde has been marked every single race since 10 years ago. Nobody cares too much about Martin besides all he has won, hes not even close to Valverdes level. So Valverde has to be very careful about the moment he decides to attack because he can drag someone else to the line. Today i think he was clearly the strongest, its only about to check the faces everybody had at the finish. He entered whistling. Despite all this, its been very deserved win by Vuillermoz.

He recovered on the flatter part of the climb. He was grimacing on the steeper part of the climb, like all the riders except Froome and Vuillermoz.

Mr.White said:
BigMac said:
How wasn't he sure about his strenght when he just said he had the legs to win? ;)

He knows now, didn't know then ;)

Exactly. I think he was unsure of his legs going in. He saw that he won the sprint for 3rd and thought that given the right circumstance, he could have won. He certainly wasn't supremely confident in them like he was at Flèche and Liège. He wasn't strong enough to go after Alexis, bringing the group, and then outsprint them all as he did in Liège.

If he was feeling great at that moment he would have gone with Dan when he went after Alexis. It would have been a classic Valverde move and he was in a good position to do it.

Re:

Fernandez said:

I'm a big Valverde fan but no way was he the strongest today. Not even top 3. Vuillermoz was clearly the strongest. Did you not see him go twice in the finale? I still don't think Valverde is on great form but it appears to be on the way up.

jaylew said:
Mr.White said:
BigMac said:

Exactly. I think he was unsure of his legs going in. He saw that he won the sprint for 3rd and thought that given the right circumstance, he could have won. He certainly wasn't supremely confident in them like he was at Flèche and Liège. He wasn't strong enough to go after Alexis, bringing the group, and then outsprint them all as he did in Liège.

If he was feeling great at that moment he would have gone with Dan when he went after Alexis. It would have been a classic Valverde move and he was in a good position to do it.

And you think everyone will allow an attack of Valverde? In that way he drags Froomey,Purito and the others in his wheel along and risks the possibility of a counter of Purito or someone else. Along with Sagan he is the most marked rider.

jaylew said:
Fernandez said:

I'm a big Valverde fan but no way was he the strongest today. Not even top 3. Vuillermoz was clearly the strongest. Did you not see him go twice in the finale? I still don't think Valverde is on great form but it appears to be on the way up.
Too strong maybe... Of course he was impressive, the strongest today for sure, or the smartest, or the braviest. Anyway, i think Valverde is in a good form and we will see him later.

Moviestar said:
jaylew said:
Mr.White said:
BigMac said:

And you think everyone will allow an attack of Valverde? In that way he drags Froomey,Purito and the others in his wheel along and risks the possibility of a counter of Purito or someone else. Along with Sagan he is the most marked rider.

You mean like at LBL? You obviously didn't understand my post at all. Again, he's not on the form he had in the Ardennes.

TRENDING THREADS