• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Valverde was very aggressive at the Vuelta , rode from the front on more than one occasion. If he's in that kind of form anything can happen.
He proved he can climb with the best.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
Valverde was very aggressive at the Vuelta , rode from the front on more than one occasion. If he's in that kind of form anything can happen.
He proved he can climb with the best.

Eh when did he prove that?

Valverde: “When we analysed the Tour route, and knowing that I also had to ride the Vuelta, we came to a conclusion that, even though this first week was important, the most difficult part comes from tomorrow on. We worked well, did weeks of altitude training, but I didn't overcook myself to reach the start at 100 per cent condition, but at this very moment. I think I'm at 100 per cent or really close, myself as well as the whole team. We will fight for Nairo, then we'll think about the Vuelta."

Thats why he wasnt there at Huy, but for the last days we heve seen that the guy is getting better and better. He looked very good at the cobbles and looked great at Bretagne and looked very strong at the TTT. I think we can expect Valverde being with the very best in the rest of the Tour.

Valv-Piti haters won't like the results of today's stage (10).

Distance: 167km
Start Location: Tarbes
End Location: La Pierre-Saint-Martin

1. Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
2. Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky
3. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team @ 1'03"
4. Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
5. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team @ 2'01"
6. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky
7. Adam Yates (GBr) Orica GreenEdge
8. Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar
9. Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto Soudal
10. Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team

Valverde now in 4th on GC, w/ the Colombian in 3rd:

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 35:56:09
2 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:02:52
3 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:03:09
4 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:04:01
5 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:04:03
6 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:04:04
7 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto Soudal 0:04:33
8 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo 0:04:35
9 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:06:12
10 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:06:57

DBotero said:
Great day for Valverde.Podium looks possible now since TVG cracked so early,can't believe it.After all his wins this year a podium will be amazing.
Since Vino retired, Valverde has become my fav' rider to be a fan of. He's got real class that has been present throughout his career, and it would be fantastic to see him do a gritty ride in the Tour for even a top-5 overall.

He's so wily.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Netserk said:
Anyone left who thinks that Purito is a better climber than Piti?

If you mean this year: no, apparently no.

The last years: yes.

Only in 2012. 2013 equal, 2014 Valverde clearly better. 2010 and earlier I wouldn't even comment...

Clearly? Dropping like a stone in the Tour and challenging a Purito who was coming from a lot of injuries. So not clearly better.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Netserk said:
Arredondo said:
Netserk said:

Last and this year.

It's easy to shoot when somebody is lying down. But Valverde never showed a similar level in the mountains Purito did in 2013 Alps.

Sure he was better last year. But that mostly had to do because of all the injuries Purito had. And apparently this year he's way better :(

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Arredondo said:
Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Netserk said:

Only in 2012. 2013 equal, 2014 Valverde clearly better. 2010 and earlier I wouldn't even comment...

Clearly? Dropping like a stone in the Tour and challenging a Purito who was coming from a lot of injuries. So not clearly better.

Yes, clearly!!! He dropped Purito on almost every mountain of the Tour and Vuelta, that sounds clearly to me! If you want we could put Tour aside, because of Purito's injuries and bad form, but in Vuelta he was also better, which results show

Edit: And mentioning Valverde dropped like a stone in Tour isn't much of a help for you, he finished that Tour more than 1h ahead of Purito

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Netserk said:

Yes, clearly!!! He dropped Purito on almost every mountain of the Tour and Vuelta, that sounds clearly to me! If you want we could put Tour aside, because of Purito's injuries and bad form, but in Vuelta he was also better, which results show

In the Tour Purito didn't rode for GC. So not comparable. In the Vuelta they finished 5 times together in the mountains, Valverde dropped Purito two times, Purito dropped Valverde two times.

Eventually Purito lost the time due the TT's. Just look at the results.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Sprinting Purito at 3 seconds on Farapona is dropping? :eek: Then it's easy to make your point.

I'm saying Valverde was more regular that Vuelta. But much better? No.

Valverde got 1.38 on Purito in the TT's. The difference in the GC was ...... 1.35!

How can you be the better climber? :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Arredondo said:
Sprinting Purito at 3 seconds on Farapona is dropping? :eek: Then it's easy to make your point.

Valverde got 1.38 on Purito in the TT's. The difference in the GC was ...... 1.35!

Easy. When mattered he was better.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:

You don't have any arguments left. That's clear ;)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Arredondo said:
Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:

You could argue only who was better at Vuelta. For me it's Valverde, clearly. He lost time to Purito two times, both times because of tactics/mistakes. Purito lost time three times, and every time it was because of pure climbing strength, which was in Valverde's favor. For me Valverde > Purito at Vuelta.

But you said they were even in whole 2014, well that's ridiculous. Vuelta is not whole 2014 you know. When I mention Tour you say Purito was injured, bad form, etc. Well don't bring then whole 2014 as a reference!

There's my arguments!

To conclude:
Valverde > Purito (Vuelta)
Valverde >>> Purito (2014)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:

You could argue only who was better at Vuelta. For me it's Valverde, clearly. He lost time to Purito two times, both times because of tactics/mistakes. Purito lost time three times, and every time it was because of pure climbing strength, which was in Valverde's favor. For me Valverde > Purito at Vuelta.

But you said they were even in whole 2014, well that's ridiculous. Vuelta is not whole 2014 you know. When I mention Tour you say Purito was injured, bad form, etc. Well don't bring then whole 2014 as a reference!

There's my arguments!

To conclude:

Where do i say he was better whole 2014? Not my words.

Sure, the two times he lost was because of tactics :eek: Come on, be a man.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Arredondo said:
Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:

There's my arguments!

To conclude:

Where do i say he was better whole 2014? Not my words.

Sure, the two times he lost was because of tactics :eek: Come on, be a man.

On stage 9 it was because of tactics, on stage 14 because he overcooked himself with early attack.