• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
It's very realistic that this year we see the 2 Movistar leaders on the podium in Paris as Valverde is yet to reach his peak during the tour.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Froome will win, Quintana will get second.

But for the third place on the podium, there are 4 serious contenders: TJ, Valverde, Thomas and Contador.

Can Valverde do it this year? Thomas working for Froome all the time will surely catch up with him at some point. No way he makes the podium. Just no way.

Contador isn't as strong as he has been in the past, indeed, Valverde has been stronger thus far. I guess there's the danger he improves in the Alpes, but I don't believe it.

TJ does have a sizable and annoying gap though, and if he holds on, he will be hard to displace.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Froome will win, Quintana will get second.

But for the third place on the podium, there are 4 serious contenders: TJ, Valverde, Thomas and Contador.

Can Valverde do it this year? Thomas working for Froome all the time will surely catch up with him at some point. No way he makes the podium. Just no way.

Contador isn't as strong as he has been in the past, indeed, Valverde has been stronger thus far. I guess there's the danger he improves in the Alpes, but I don't believe it.

TJ does have a sizable and annoying gap though, and if he holds on, he will be hard to displace.
Nibali is more likely to podium than Thomas and arguably more likely than TJ.

edit: My rank of likelihood of getting in the top-3 of the final GC:
Froome
Quintana
Contador
Valverde
Nibali
TJ
Thomas
Gesink

edit2: Maybe Quintana should be ahead of Froome, as I really can't see a scenario where he doesn't podium, while I think that Froome has (however little) a bigger chance to be struck by luck bad enough to remove him from the top-3.

Valverde played it wrong this Tour.He missed the chance to get those seconds in the first week.We'll see how good he'll be in the 3rd week,but i expect him and G.to crack at some point.TVG in pole position to get the 3rd place.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Netserk, I probably agree with that list, but..Nibali? The guy is down so many minutes. Do you think he'll regain his 2014 form in the Alps?
He's more likely not to, but likely enough to improve enough (whilst racing better) for him to be more likely than TJ to podium.

If it was for a top-4 or top-5, TJ would be more likely than Nibali. I just don't see TJ holding both Valverde and Contador behind him with just 1 minute as cushion.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Netserk said:
SeriousSam said:
Netserk, I probably agree with that list, but..Nibali? The guy is down so many minutes. Do you think he'll regain his 2014 form in the Alps?
He's more likely not to, but likely enough to improve enough (whilst racing better) for him to be more likely than TJ to podium.

If it was for a top-4 or top-5, TJ would be more likely than Nibali. I just don't see TJ holding both Valverde and Contador behind him with just 1 minute as cushion.
I agree. Nibali won't podium, but it's more likely for him to podium than for TJ to do so. Like you just said, TJ's cushion on AV and AC has now been halved and it definitely won't hold. Keep in mind this wasn't even an alpine stage.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Strong today, but this is a climb which suits him to the ground.

We still have to wait how he survives multiple Alp stages.

Exactly. It's not enough a good ride on a hill that suited him to say he will be on the podium.
The problem will be survive the Alpes , with multi mountains in the stage

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

SergeDeM said:
Netserk said:
SeriousSam said:

I agree. Nibali won't podium, but it's more likely for him to podium than for TJ to do so. Like you just said, TJ's cushion on AV and AC has now been halved and it definitely won't hold. Keep in mind this wasn't even an alpine stage.

This isn't the ideal stage for Tejay of course. He likes a steady tempo on a longer climb. This is way too explosive for him.

DBotero said:
Impressive today,but normally he should have dropped everybody on this type of climb.He will still crack in the 3rd week,but TVG might crack too.It will be interesting which of them,has the best bad day.

Why do you think he'll crack? He's riding into form now not losing it - ready to reach his second super-long peak of the season all the way from San Sebastian to Lombardia.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

Arredondo said:
SergeDeM said:
Netserk said:
SeriousSam said:

This isn't the ideal stage for Tejay of course. He likes a steady tempo on a longer climb. This is way too explosive for him.
Alps will suit AC and AV better than TJ as well. I think Valverde has a great chance for taking the podium in Paris. Froome, Quintana, Valverde is looking quite likely so far.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
DBotero said:
Impressive today,but normally he should have dropped everybody on this type of climb.He will still crack in the 3rd week,but TVG might crack too.It will be interesting which of them,has the best bad day.
Mende is too steep for Valverde, he's never been good at dictating pace on this type of climbs. The Alpine climbs next week will decide on his podium, and he likes them a lot better than the Pyrenees. Tejay will have a hard time to keep up with him.

TRENDING THREADS