• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Netserk said:
BigMac said:
hrotha said:
Angliru said:
You clearly are out of your mind which doesn't surprise me. Compare his number of wins versus any of his contemporaries who compete for grand tour gc, hilly classics and major week long stage races and he has a sizable advantage. Your attitude is what is pathetic.
Valverde wins a whole lot, but that doesn't change the fact that he's often unreasonably happy with good placings that don't really add anything of value to his palmares at this point.

Clearly this has a sentimental value for him. Let's face it, he was never going to win Le Tour so a podium was always a reasonable goal when you can't aim higher.
I don't get this mentality. If you can podium a race, you can win it as well, as long as you have enough courage and luck.

Not when the two riders above you are a class apart and haven't been wiped out by crashes.

With 'enough luck', even Kittel could win the yellow jersey - hope for a crash that wipes out half the field and proceed to win yellow when everyone else has to abandon due to a virus

Netserk said:
BigMac said:
hrotha said:
Angliru said:
You clearly are out of your mind which doesn't surprise me. Compare his number of wins versus any of his contemporaries who compete for grand tour gc, hilly classics and major week long stage races and he has a sizable advantage. Your attitude is what is pathetic.
Valverde wins a whole lot, but that doesn't change the fact that he's often unreasonably happy with good placings that don't really add anything of value to his palmares at this point.

Clearly this has a sentimental value for him. Let's face it, he was never going to win Le Tour so a podium was always a reasonable goal when you can't aim higher.
I don't get this mentality. If you can podium a race, you can win it as well, as long as you have enough courage and luck.

Your a true fighter! In what are you a champion btw? With such winners mentality you must be good at something?

PremierAndrew said:
Netserk said:
BigMac said:
hrotha said:
Angliru said:

Not when the two riders above you are a class apart and haven't been wiped out by crashes.

With 'enough luck', even Kittel could win the yellow jersey - hope for a crash that wipes out half the field and proceed to win yellow when everyone else has to abandon due to a virus
one of Valverde or Quintana could have won the tdf this year by 1-2ing froome on the long mountain stages.

The Hitch said:
BigMac said:
Vamos Bala, to win the Vuelta campeón!

Lol, you know what, I think he can do it. Imo if he wins one of vuelta/ Lombardia / worlds this will go down as one of the greatest seasons of all time.

This. He has a strong chance of winning this Vuelta. He has season after season proven that it's possible to perform well in both the Tour and Vuelta. I don't think he will win the Worlds though... :D

Re:

Moviestar said:
Good share.

Can anyone post a functional link to a video of Bala bawling after the penultimate stage?

The original link someone posted previously went to a Facebook link that when I tried it was nonfunctional - so no video. I've yet to see AV crying and feel I must appreciate this human spectacle.

Thanks!

joe_papp said:
Moviestar said:
Good share.

Can anyone post a functional link to a video of Bala bawling after the penultimate stage?

The original link someone posted previously went to a Facebook link that when I tried it was nonfunctional - so no video. I've yet to see AV crying and feel I must appreciate this human spectacle.

Thanks!

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=b111f48e5b280bc6f7fb28f0feb866bc&oe=55B68F0D

DBotero said:
joe_papp said:
Moviestar said:
Good share.

Thanks!

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=b111f48e5b280bc6f7fb28f0feb866bc&oe=55B68F0D
muy, muy, muy bien - y muy amable! sos un caballero! :)

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site

joe_papp said:
DBotero said:
joe_papp said:
Moviestar said:
Good share.

Thanks!

muy, muy, muy bien - y muy amable! sos un caballero! :)

Thanks for that. I've never seen Valverde that emotional. Now just the Worlds left to achieve his career objectives.

I hope he will finally get his world championship. He has been so strong this year and it would be one hell of a season if he could pull off.

I don't agree that it's a loser's mentality to be happy for his third. He never had any kind of realistic chance to win the race, he did the best he could hope for + he has never podiumed the Tour before.

Best rider in the world this year IMO.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Asero831 said:
How about the Olympics next year. He is favored to win there. that will be two weeks after the tour and he can definitely do well there.

That's next year :eek:

Who knows how the situation is then. Just look at CSB and Vuelta for now.

Re:

Asero831 said:
How about the Olympics next year. He is favored to win there. that will be two weeks after the tour and he can definitely do well there.

The parcours is tailormade for Valverde with Rodriguez as a dangerous second leader. But with Contador already having the Olympics as a main goal i fear for an upcoming Spain civil war already.

Attachments

• olympics rio.jpg
    olympics rio.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,263

Moviestar said:
Asero831 said:

The parcours is tailormade for Valverde with Rodriguez as a dangerous second leader. But with Contador already having the Olympics as a main goal i fear for an upcoming Spain civil war already.

Have it free for all. Even better for the race.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Moviestar said:
Asero831 said:

Purito also said in some interviews Rio will be a big goal next year :cool:

So, i hope for a scenario Bala is riding solo with 1 km to go. Some Italian/Dutch/GB guy attacks in the 2nd group, Purito deliberately hesitates for a brief moment and loses the wheel, the guy closes to Valverde, beats him in the sprint, and we have got a second Spanish crisis

Then it's back to square :D

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

Arredondo said:
Moviestar said:
Asero831 said:

So, i hope for a scenario Bala is riding solo with 1 km to go. Some Italian/Dutch/GB guy attacks in the 2nd group, Purito deliberately hesitates for a brief moment and loses the wheel, the guy closes to Valverde, beats him in the sprint, and we have got a second Spanish crisis

Would be hilarious if that happened but that would require Valverde to attack, which he won't.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Arredondo said:
Moviestar said:
Asero831 said:

Lol, one of his nastier moves should come back to haunt him, but I'm not sure we'll be that lucky :)

TRENDING THREADS