• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
He did very well for such a finish with covbles.

But yes big mistake to take purito instead of rojas.

That's Minguez fault. He forced him. He didn't want too go.

But finishing 5th on a course like this isn't that special, surely not as a leader of a Spanish quad.

Sure he did his best, but he should attacked and play all or nothing. Wrong choice tactic wise.

where exactly to play all or nothing?

any move before the last 4 kms was doomed because of the 13 km of flat. even the move of 20 uber strong riders.

libby hill and 23street cobbled hills are not made for valverde but for big heavy guys who explode the watts on them

i didn't expect him to be at all in the top 10, he did awesome.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
where exactly to play all or nothing?

any move before the last 4 kms was doomed because of the 13 km of flat. even the move of 20 uber strong riders.

libby hill and 23street cobbled hills are not made for valverde but for big heavy guys who explode the watts on them

i didn't expect him to be at all in the top 10, he did awesome.

That's just nonsense. He could have been in the break of Moreno and Kwiat. That was a strong group, who got a good gap on the peloton.

If you see that Kwiat still finishes 8th, after that attack. That's a race to be proud of. He tried, with the intention of winning the race. Bala rode with an intention to get a 5th place, and not to win. In his last chance to become WC. I think it's rather a pity.

You say any move was doomed, because you know the outcome of the race. But that's not an attitude to start a Worlds imo.

But hey, saying he did awesome, shows you're not really seeing things clear. ;)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
How do you manage your cognitive dissonance Arredondo. I mean you vehemently reject those very arguments every time when it comes to Purito.

So when someone breaks the law, i can not say he breaks the law, because i do too? He still breaks the law. That's just the classic mistake a lot of people make :eek:

I'm talking about Valverde's race, not about Purito's. And i think he should have done more on this Worlds. Just attack for that 5% to become WC, instead of riding anonymously to a 5th place with the knowledge of a zero chance of winning that bike race.

Sure, you can say that too from Purito at the Vuelta. But comparing a one day race with a GT is difficult anyway. And if you're fatigued in a GT, it's more about holding on and thinking about limit your losses instead of winning time. After a one day race, there's no race the following day. So you could risk more imo.

When it comes to Purito, you're the first to criticize him when he's riding cowardly. So you should do the same with Bala. Your first reaction in this topic is really polite and mild i have to say. But maybe you're a fan too :rolleyes:

joe_papp said:
top-5!! Jesus Crísto our man Valv is irrepressible!
He can get good results on any course. Even on parcours with shallow cobbled climbs and a lots of flat such as in Richmond. He was also in the front a lot in the TDF stage with the cobbles.

Think about him riding the Flanders. Harder, longer, steeper and more selective climbs. I could see him winning it.

Velolover2 said:
joe_papp said:
He can get good results on any course. Even on parcours with shallow cobbled climbs and a lots of flat such as in Richmond. He was also in the front a lot in the TDF stage with the cobbles.

Think about him riding the Flanders. Harder, longer, steeper and more selective climbs. I could see him winning it.
Why stopping with the Flanders? Valverde could even do well in Paris-Roubaix. He is one of the best bike handlers in the peloton who rarely crashes.

WheelofGear said:
Velolover2 said:
joe_papp said:

Why stopping with the Flanders? Valverde could even do well in Paris-Roubaix. He is one of the best bike handlers in the peloton who rarely crashes.
Nah, you have to be heavy and bulky to win PR. You can be more light in Flanders and still do good.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Really strange people say he rode a good race. He rode more like a coward. It was his last chance to become WC. He should have tried an all or nothing attack.

In the past, he finished 2nd in Madrid behind Boonen, and 3rd in Salzburg behind Bettini and Zabel. On a flat finish. So finishing 5th on a finish (and a parcours like this) is nothing special. He showed his form isn't that good anymore, but he should have tried an all or nothing attack. But once again, he decided to only follow in a big race like this.

A shame.

Did we watch the same race? Valverde was struggling mightily on the last lap and had problems keeping up on the cobbled climbs. Its hard to attack when you have riders builds for such courses as Stybar, Sagan, GVA, Gilbert, Degenkolb etc. going 100% up those climbs. He seemed to be super tired after a long season and a parcour that didnt suit him - way to much flat. I think he did the only thing he was able to and despite, still was able to get 5th.

I also find it hilarious that you even got the audacity to state such a thing about Valverde when you have defended Rodriguez in situations x100 worse than yesterday... I mean, seriously man. Thought you were better and I enjoy having discussion with you, but this one is out of bounds and honestly just super disrespectful.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Really strange people say he rode a good race. He rode more like a coward. It was his last chance to become WC. He should have tried an all or nothing attack.

In the past, he finished 2nd in Madrid behind Boonen, and 3rd in Salzburg behind Bettini and Zabel. On a flat finish. So finishing 5th on a finish (and a parcours like this) is nothing special. He showed his form isn't that good anymore, but he should have tried an all or nothing attack. But once again, he decided to only follow in a big race like this.

A shame.

This use of the word "coward" to describe how someone rode is really inappropriate, disrespectful and essentially it's cowardly considering the safety of anonymity that we all here possess, behind our keyboards. No one knows exactly what suffering these riders are going through during the course of a race. Maybe they're hanging on for dear life, on the edge of blowing up. Who knows??!! Call it a failed strategy or anything but please not "coward" or "cowardly". This my personal rant. No need to respond.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

roundabout said:
Taxus4a said:
yaco said:
And Vavlverde is riding the Tour of Dubai 8th to 11th of October.

And he is going to ride at a hight level till 2018. Definitively he born to ride a bike.

If he can keep going til 2018 that's when the next tough WC course is highly likely to be.

I thought Bergen has a 3,5 km hill in it? Not tough enough but maybe he could do something there aswell.

robin440 said:
roundabout said:
Taxus4a said:
yaco said:

And he is going to ride at a hight level till 2018. Definitively he born to ride a bike.

If he can keep going til 2018 that's when the next tough WC course is highly likely to be.

I thought Bergen has a 3,5 km hill in it? Not tough enough but maybe he could do something there aswell.

Route as it stands

http://bergen2017.no/courses/road-race/elite-men/

Haven't really studied it that much, but doesn't look that tough

roundabout said:
robin440 said:
roundabout said:
Taxus4a said:
yaco said:

Route as it stands

http://bergen2017.no/courses/road-race/elite-men/

Haven't really studied it that much, but doesn't look that tough

Oh my good, at the first glad this is the hardest worlds I have even seen. 5 climbs, not realy step, but little flat in the circuit. The long climbs are not at the end, but anyway is very selective.

Re:

Angliru said:
Arredondo said:

A shame.

This use of the word "coward" to describe how someone rode is really inappropriate, disrespectful and essentially it's cowardly considering the safety of anonymity that we all here possess, behind our keyboards. No one knows exactly what suffering these riders are going through during the course of a race. Maybe they're hanging on for dear life, on the edge of blowing up. Who knows??!! Call it a failed strategy or anything but please not "coward" or "cowardly". This my personal rant. No need to respond.
Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:

A shame.

Did we watch the same race? Valverde was struggling mightily on the last lap and had problems keeping up on the cobbled climbs. Its hard to attack when you have riders builds for such courses as Stybar, Sagan, GVA, Gilbert, Degenkolb etc. going 100% up those climbs. He seemed to be super tired after a long season and a parcour that didnt suit him - way to much flat. I think he did the only thing he was able to and despite, still was able to get 5th.

I also find it hilarious that you even got the audacity to state such a thing about Valverde when you have defended Rodriguez in situations x100 worse than yesterday... I mean, seriously man. Thought you were better and I enjoy having discussion with you, but this one is out of bounds and honestly just super disrespectful.
You guys don't honestly think you can have a rational discussion with Arredondo when it comes to Valverde, do you?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:

A shame.

But it has nothing to do with disrespectful, just with a different opinion.

I saw Valverde was struggling on the last lap. But i'm not talking about an attack on the last lap. I'm talking about an attack like Kwiat did. He really rode with the intention to ride for the win, and if you see the outcome of the race, you perhaps could say he would have a chance to follow Sagan (maybe), if he didn't attacked. But he tried to win, which is classy.

Valverde could have attacked on the same point, and be in that group instead of Moreno (or with him). In that situation he had a really small chance to become WC. Perhaps not bigger then 5%, but bigger then the way he rode like he did sunday. I think it's a pity, because it was really his last chance to become WC. And such a big champion deserves to wear the rainbow stripes at least one year. With that in the back of your mind, i expected a more agressive race from him. You guys say that he didn't had the legs to do an attack, but i think he had, if you can still finish 5th in that sprint ahead of fast guys like Gerrans and Gallopin.

And i think the Spanish team in general could do more. I had the idea that guys like LL Sanchez, Plaza and Izagirre were holding back a bit because Valverde was the team leader. If Bala knows he's tired and he has no chance of winning (like you are saying), perhaps they could even rode more agressive like they did, with more riders.

And concerning Purito. Of course Purito has raced stupid and cowardly in the past. Giro 2012, Bola del Mundo stage in La Vuelta 2012..... However i don't think he could have done something different in this years Vuelta. But i respect other opinions about it, and maybe i'm wrong. I'm not objective, i know that, but i try to be as much as possible.

His selection for the Worlds was hilarious however. He didn't want too go, it wasn't his parcours, but Minguez forced him (otherwise no Rio). Rojas (or Ventoso) were the ideal candidates to go to Richmond. That's shows too me Minguez really has no clue and only looks at pleasing the public.

I think it's just a shame that, if you have a different opinion about something, you are 'hilarious' or 'super disrespectful'

And i apologize that i saw he rode 'cowardly'. That's a bit too harsh. But my disappoinment with his race attitude on sunday still stands however.

TRENDING THREADS