• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 148 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
yaco said:
Will not get a better parcours to suit his talents - Question is whether Valverde or Quintana will be the number one rider.

I think they will start as Quintana #1 and Valverde #2 with no obligation to work for Nairo until it becomes clear who's stronger of the two. Already after stage 9, or stage 12 they should know who's going better.
This year without any question number 1 will be only Valverde.

Mr.White said:
yaco said:
Will not get a better parcours to suit his talents - Question is whether Valverde or Quintana will be the number one rider.

I think they will start as Quintana #1 and Valverde #2 with no obligation to work for Nairo until it becomes clear who's stronger of the two. Already after stage 9, or stage 12 they should know who's going better.

This seems logical. NQ is the better GC rider, but that Giro HAD to have taken something out of his legs.

Son of Amsterhammer said:
Mr.White said:
yaco said:

This seems logical. NQ is the better GC rider, but that Giro HAD to have taken something out of his legs.
He has been lucky with the weather though. Contador had to go much deeper in 2015, partly because of the bad weather.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
So Valverde is targeting the Vuelta and will ride as Dom to Quintana at the Tour.....even though imo the parcours of tthe Tour suit Valverde

I know everyone on this forum sends riders to the Vuelta but so far with Froome and Nibali targeting it the filed will be very strong

The interview was in March.
Things change

That said, it's Unzue calling the shots so even if Quintana breaks a leg Valverde will still be working for him.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

GuyIncognito said:
HelloDolly said:
So Valverde is targeting the Vuelta and will ride as Dom to Quintana at the Tour.....even though imo the parcours of tthe Tour suit Valverde

I know everyone on this forum sends riders to the Vuelta but so far with Froome and Nibali targeting it the filed will be very strong

The interview was in March.
Things change

That said, it's Unzue calling the shots so even if Quintana breaks a leg Valverde will still be working for him.

Valverde is Unzue's favorite rider, maybe ever. Unzue is not stupid nor naive. The only reason Quintana had advantage on him is because he was better at GT's. He was a genuine threat to Froome right from his breakthrough 2013, Valverde wasn't. But situation changed a bit over the years. Quintana seems to not progress like he should've, and Valverde is apparently in the form of his life. On top of that Tour route suits Bala down to the ground, and Quintana failed at the first leg of the double attempt, not showing great form in the process. As I said earlier, Quintana will probably start as their #1 rider, but I guess Bala will be close #2 with no obligation to work until it becomes clear who has a better form and greater chance to succeed, which should be determined in my humble opinion in the Pyrenees.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
The article on cyclingnews main page yesterday stated one clear thing.

Valverde in his interview said his objectives for the year were clear.

His GT aim is the Vuelta. He is riding the Tour for Nairo.

I BELIEVE HIM.

So, the better question to ask, is did Movistar and Nairo race the Giro at less than 100% and should we expect him to be at a higher level in July than he was in May?

It's more than likely a yes. Last years Tour and then Vuelta confirmed Nairo can podium his first GT and then follow it up with a very convincing win.

Naturally this means the team might have under estimated Dumoulin. It happens...

Valverde to work for Nairo this year at the Tour. Which means what ever happens, that is the team plan. Hopefully Movistar execute it well.

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Alejandro IMO should start as co-leader together with Nairo at the Tour. He is in the form of his life and if he continues that until the end of Juni, he is a potential Tour de France winner with a bit of luck sice the route favours him. Also, Unzue and Movistar would be really crazy to gamble all their cards on Nairo..a rider who just finished 4 days ago a GT of 3 weeks. It wouldn't make sense. But nothing surprises me anymore with Unzue and his management.

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Unzue is the grandpa I wish I had but never had.
#deep

LOL :D

Anyway, can't wait to see what Alejandro is capable of at the Dauphiné. Should be a good show with the likes of Froome, Contador, Aru, Porte, Bardet and Esteban Chaves as the competition. A stage win (maybe La Motte-Servolex?) and a top-3 GC would be awesome.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
Old interview. A lot happened in the meantime.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chr...-de-france-threats-are-porte-contador-bardet/
Chris ignoring the obvious.

I wouldn't read a thing into it at all.

Is Bardet a major threat? He finished second last year.

Is Contador a threat? He's beaten Froome in other races, so he could be a threat.

Is Porte a threat? He has been at a level slightly above other GC riders so far. The Dauphine will show us what is going on.

Now, is Valverde a threat?

Who has the best form this year and has looked nearly unbeatable?

Yes he is a major consideration.

It will be good to see how Movistar handle the Tour this year. Valverde has won the Dauphine twice. It was quite funny to watch Cadel Evans repeatedly chase Valverde down, use up all his matches before the Tour and then...well, not go so well. Contador use to just stick right on Cadel's wheel the entire Dauphine and help Valverde. Valverde walked away with a Dauphine win, Cadel got a second and showed his cards before the Tour.

Froome is just stating...well, stuff. The Aussie cycling tv station had claimed this morning Quintana has failed at this Giro-Tour double. If finishing second, at the Giro is failing...sheesh. People are way too hard.

Doing well at the Dauphine is no indicator to Tour form BTW. Nibali 2014 is proof of this.

Galic Ho said:
Valv.Piti said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chr...-de-france-threats-are-porte-contador-bardet/

Is Contador a threat? He's beaten Froome in other races, so he could be a threat.

Is Porte a threat? He has been at a level slightly above other GC riders so far. The Dauphine will show us what is going on.

It will be good to see how Movistar handle the Tour this year. Valverde has won the Dauphine twice. It was quite funny to watch Cadel Evans repeatedly chase Valverde down, use up all his matches before the Tour and then...well, not go so well. Contador use to just stick right on Cadel's wheel the entire Dauphine and help Valverde. Valverde walked away with a Dauphine win, Cadel got a second and showed his cards before the Tour.

Froome is just stating...well, stuff. The Aussie cycling tv station had claimed this morning Quintana has failed at this Giro-Tour double. If finishing second, at the Giro is failing...sheesh. People are way too hard.

Doing well at the Dauphine is no indicator to Tour form BTW. Nibali 2014 is proof of this.

Nibs is an exception.
Generally, it gives a direct indication. The 2 strongest climbers in the Dauphine were also the strongest at the Tour.

silvergrenade said:
Galic Ho said:
Valv.Piti said:

Nibs is an exception.
Generally, it gives a direct indication. The 2 strongest climbers in the Dauphine were also the strongest at the Tour.

Correct! 7 of the last 8 Tour winners have won or been on the podium at the Dauphine

Galic Ho said:
Valv.Piti said:

I want to remind to all of you that Nibali's 2014 Dauphiné wasn't as bad as the last climb of the race suggested.

He finished 7th on GC (while cracking badly on the final climb to Courchevel), did a good inaugural ITT, was 6th on Col du Béal (27s behind Froome and Contador) and 8th on Finhaut-Emosson (5th GC guy at the finish, 38s behind Contador).

His 2012 performance was far more average.

StryderHells said:
silvergrenade said:
Galic Ho said:
Valv.Piti said:

Nibs is an exception.

Correct! 7 of the last 8 Tour winners have won or been on the podium at the Dauphine

Very small sample size though. Much bigger sample size by comparing the podiums or top tens on GC. Last year the correlations were very high but in other years this decade the Dauphine wasn't representative of the TDF GC at all really. So the Dauphine can tell quite a bit but there's still a lot of variation.

TRENDING THREADS