• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Terrible loss for Quintana and the TdF. Hopefully he recovers well enough to continue racing--would be a bummer if this was his last race.

EDIT: I think it's important to remember he's 37. He's going to take longer to heal and may never regain his top form again

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
He was obviously desperate since he is feeling mightily inferior to Contador, can't keep the complexes from showing their ugly head in such a time trial against Contador. Its not like he has beat him this year in that exact discipline, so he really wanted this one. Yep.

You and I know thats completely ridiculous and I frankly don't know why you are bringing Contador into this and trying to stir things up. No idea. Valverde was eyeing a yellow jersey and a very good start to a race he potentially could have won if he was in yellow early. Froome took chances and didn't crash, Valverde took chances and crashed. **** happens. It happens to everyone.

Really, its a little annoying. Show a little compassion instead....
Of course he could beat him today, the desperation stems more likely from his inferiority in the GC battle. He was (likely) desperate to show who was the best in the most important race of the season. His hubris bit him in his arse though.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
It's also shocking because Valverde rarely crashes. And never crashes out with serious injuries.

But a broken kneecap is horrible. Hopefully it's a clean break, but at his age the chance is there he will never return to his old level :(

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Valv.Piti said:
He was obviously desperate since he is feeling mightily inferior to Contador, can't keep the complexes from showing their ugly head in such a time trial against Contador. Its not like he has beat him this year in that exact discipline, so he really wanted this one. Yep.

You and I know thats completely ridiculous and I frankly don't know why you are bringing Contador into this and trying to stir things up. No idea. Valverde was eyeing a yellow jersey and a very good start to a race he potentially could have won if he was in yellow early. Froome took chances and didn't crash, Valverde took chances and crashed. **** happens. It happens to everyone.

Really, its a little annoying. Show a little compassion instead....
Of course he could beat him today, the desperation stems more likely from his inferiority in the GC battle. He was (likely) desperate to show who was the best in the most important race of the season. His hubris bit him in his **** though.

Seriously dude, is this really necessary?

Re:

rick james said:
Froome's, Valverde's and Quintana's fans were almost celebrating Contador's crash last year.

that's just blatant lies
Enough of it. I don't remember such things happening either, but if that poster feels that way, so be it. There is no need to go further down the road. Lets try to stay on topic, its getting pretty petty lately.

Blanco said:
Ruudz0r said:
Wow pathatic reactions from Netserk in the last few pages.

Such a shame for the race that Valverde and Izagirre both crashed out. The seriousness of the injury is a major disappointment for other reasons as well, I hope Alejandro can make a full recovery.

Real "classy" person, no doubt :rolleyes:
I also do think his comments were particularly insensitive and frankly disrespectful after such a bad crash which potentially is career-threatening. But what can you do - I think in the future its best just to completely ignore such posts, but its hard in the wake of it all when emotions are running high.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Fuglsang disappointed me a lot with his reaction on the Valverde crash.
I don't think Fuglsang's reaction was bad really, but the question was. For those interested, while Fuglsang was warming down and Valv basically just had crashed, the interviewer says (with a huge grin on his face) that thats one rival less. It was pretty ugly, but I think Fuglsang handled it okay considering the question and all. I don't really want to blame him, rather the very stupid question from the interviewer.

Valv.Piti said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Fuglsang disappointed me a lot with his reaction on the Valverde crash.
I don't think Fuglsang's reaction was bad really, but the question was. For those interested, while Fuglsang was warming down and Valv basically just had crashed, the interviewer says (with a huge grin on his face) that thats one rival less. It was pretty ugly, but I think Fuglsang handled it okay considering the question and all. I don't really want to blame him, rather the very stupid question from the interviewer.
I agree that the reporter was out of line, but I think that Fuglsang was as well. He certainly didn't try to hide his smile at least.

TRENDING THREADS