• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 219 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
This is about the level I expected from Valverde especially against riders like Quintana not at their best and younger riders that haven't managed to win a grand tour yet. Experience has to count for something plus motivation in what will possibly be his last good chance to win another grand tour.

He's still right there. He does need to put in the ITT is he is capable of riding on Tuesday and he'll be in red with a great shot at winning this thing. He also could have over a minute on both Quintana and Lopez. No way they make that much time up in the last three mountain stages unless he just totally cracks. The only time I remember him doing that in any Spanish race was 2016 when it was his 3rd GT in a single year and 5th in a row. He's got experience, knows himself, and will always ride within himself. Vamos Bala!

To be fair, I think Yates and Valverde are pretty equal in a lumpy, long-ish TT. I don't think Yates will lose the jersey. Valverde might gain 10 or 15 secs on him max. But the reverse scenario is possible too.

Yates has improved much and will have Valverde's time to chase. I'd except them both to finish in top 10. Kruijswijk is likely to jump ahead of both Lopez AND Quintana for the third spot.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
To be fair, I think Yates and Valverde are pretty equal in a lumpy, long-ish TT. I don't think Yates will lose the jersey. Valverde might gain 10 or 15 secs on him max. But the reverse scenario is possible too.

Yates has improved much and will have Valverde's time to chase. I'd except them both to finish in top 10. Kruijswijk is likely to jump ahead of both Lopez AND Quintana for the third spot.

I think a lot with this ITT is going to depend on how much Valverde is willing to risk on the corners. He's said he gave up time (possibly up to 10 seconds) on the opening TT because he was being extremely cautious in the corners.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:

I think a lot with this ITT is going to depend on how much Valverde is willing to risk on the corners. He's said he gave up time (possibly up to 10 seconds) on the opening TT because he was being extremely cautious in the corners.
Yeah, let's see how it goes. Valverde has the size advantage (2.5 inches taller/5 pounds heavier). I'd favor Valverde on those 3-4% hills.

https://www.cyclingstage.com/vuelta-2018-route/stage-16-spain-route-2018/

Re:

Rollthedice said:
He should take red on Tuesday and if he doesn't have a bad day, which happens rarely but happens, I think only stage 20 can upset him. Obviously Movistar has to ride for him from Tuesday on.

And I think they will, after reading their statement from the site. They're full of praise for Valverde's ride, and Quintana is barely mentioned.
I think both Valverde and Unzue are pissed because Quintana didn't want to work in the last 1.5 km for Valverde, and especially on that downhill part, so he could out sprint Yates and take the bonus.

Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:

He'll risk this time, there's no doubt. Overall win is on the table.

Re:

Velolover2 said:

There aren't that much statistic in recent years to make very good analysis between them.

Yates lost 1m37s in Giro to Dennis in 34,5km. This was Stage 16 when the big TT engines has slight lesser edge due to fatigue to GC folks than in 1 day TT's such as WC or national champs.

Valverde recently lost 1m04s to Castroviejo in National champs in 37,4km.

Normally I would estimate Castro max 30s behind Dennis in such distance.

Given those figures and the Spain advantage of Valverde, I'm expecting between 30-45s win for Valverde.

Blanco said:
Rollthedice said:
He should take red on Tuesday and if he doesn't have a bad day, which happens rarely but happens, I think only stage 20 can upset him. Obviously Movistar has to ride for him from Tuesday on.

And I think they will, after reading their statement from the site. They're full of praise for Valverde's ride, and Quintana is barely mentioned.
I think both Valverde and Unzue are pissed because Quintana didn't want to work in the last 1.5 km for Valverde, and especially on that downhill part, so he could out sprint Yates and take the bonus.
Yeah, Quintana waved a couple of times at Valverde during the ascent. Somehow he is expecting him to do everything and Valverde is obviously still outclassing Quintana in the end of the stages anyways. Its a very weird dynamic. One specific danish commentator is probably still 100% sure that its all about Quintana and that Valverde is still a domestique, its amazing that people can't see that Valverde at least should be co-captain. Its not as blatant as 2017 (even though Valverde rode half a stage, he would have been significantly stronger - EVERYTHING points at that direction, but Quintana was the designated leader, at least on the outside). Tour de France 2016 is also a good example where they were equally strong.

Valv.Piti said:
Blanco said:
Rollthedice said:

Yeah, Quintana waved a couple of times at Valverde during the ascent. Somehow he is expecting him to do everything and Valverde is obviously still outclassing Quintana in the end of the stages anyways. Its a very weird dynamic. One specific danish commentator is probably still 100% sure that its all about Quintana and that Valverde is still a domestique, its amazing that people can't see that Valverde at least should be co-captain. Its not as blatant as 2017 (even though Valverde rode half a stage, he would have been significantly stronger - EVERYTHING points at that direction, but Quintana was the designated leader, at least on the outside). Tour de France 2016 is also a good example where they were equally strong.

Just look at when Yates waved to Quintana, frustrated cause he's not chasing Lopez. Quintana automatically looked behind to Valverde, hit the front for no more than 5-10 sec, and then Valverde took over and led to the finish.
That's why he lost that bonus by the way.

"The red jersey is not an aspiration ‘per se’, though I’m feeling strong and close to the top guys. Tuesday’s route shouldn’t be bad for me; hopefully I can have a good day. I still think it will be tough for anyone to make a real gap in the GC to win this one.”

Yep, the red jersey is a huge aspiration and if/when he gets it, he will do everything in his might to keep it. Vamos Alejandro! :cool:

Valv.Piti said:
"The red jersey is not an aspiration ‘per se’, though I’m feeling strong and close to the top guys. Tuesday’s route shouldn’t be bad for me; hopefully I can have a good day. I still think it will be tough for anyone to make a real gap in the GC to win this one.”

Yep, the red jersey is a huge aspiration and if/when he gets it, he will do everything in his might to keep it. Vamos Alejandro! :cool:

Someone else not planning on winning?! :D

Valv.Piti said:

Yep he wants it. Yet again we get to decipher what he's saying.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Robert5091 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Overall win is lying on the street, who ever will come and take it will win, hopefully Bala will be the first! But eventhough it will be not simple for him, this would be great finale of his career.

lartiste said:
Robert5091 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Overall win is lying on the street, who ever will come and take it will win, hopefully Bala will be the first! But eventhough it will be not simple for him, this would be great finale of his career.

Finale? Maybe, just maybe Tokyo Olympics.

Rollthedice said:
lartiste said:
Robert5091 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Finale? Maybe, just maybe Tokyo Olympics.

He's said he wants one more Olympics and this year he said next spring he'll make a decision on another contract based on how he's feeling. He's also said he doesn't see why he should retire while he's still having so much fun racing and while he's still winning. So 2020 is possible for retirement but we'll have to see.

Assuming Bala grabs red what tactics can we expect from Movistar? Sending Quintana up the road early and forcing GC men to mark him while Bala sits on wheels seems a good plan of action. With a high placed GC wild card to play Valverde shouldn't have his nose in the wind for a second on finishing climbs.

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
Assuming Bala grabs red what tactics can we expect from Movistar? Sending Quintana up the road early and forcing GC men to mark him while Bala sits on wheels seems a good plan of action. With a high placed GC wild card to play Valverde shouldn't have his nose in the wind for a second on finishing climbs.

Great question. If Bala takes red, his best defense is to just sit in wheels. The only rider he will likely need to worry about will be Yates due to what the time gaps most likely will be.

Koronin said:
Amazinmets87 said:

Great question. If Bala takes red, his best defense is to just sit in wheels. The only rider he will likely need to worry about will be Yates due to what the time gaps most likely will be.

Yup. I think Quintana performing well in the ITT is pivotal. He has to be close in order to force GC rivals to mark his attacks.

The only way this backfires is if Yates drops Valverde in pursuit of Quintana. In this case I suppose the plan would be for Quintana to wait and work with Valverde.

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:

Or they could just try to bring down every attack and control things with Quintana and Carapaz...

Amazinmets87 said:
Koronin said:
Amazinmets87 said:

Yup. I think Quintana performing well in the ITT is pivotal. He has to be close in order to force GC rivals to mark his attacks.

The only way this backfires is if Yates drops Valverde in pursuit of Quintana. In this case I suppose the plan would be for Quintana to wait and work with Valverde.
1. There are many different scenario's if Valverde takes red, in regards to gap size, how close Quintana is and how close Yates and MAL are.

2. The finish on wednesday is brutally steep and shouldn't actually be super tactical. Having red after Oiz matters more than red after the ITT. Anyone have a more detailed profile of that climb?

3. A lot depends on if Quintana will be ahead or behind MAL on the stage to Andorra. If he's ahead and good in Andorra, MAL might go long, in which case Quintana can just wheel suck MAL all day. If Quintana is behind MAL or bad that is a great way to waste the best possible domestique

4. MAL and Yates have been highly preoccupied with Quintana. If they stop worrying about Quintana tactics will change dramatically.

5. MAL and maybe even Pinot may be wildcards who don't have a big chance to win but may decide the outcome. If Pinot has a great day in Andorra I don't see him sitting on his ass all day.

6. Team strength. As much as Mitchelton has refused to do the work, they had 3 riders in the top 15 yesterday. Jack Haig was 15th and is solid on that level, while Adam Yates was 13th and is finally finding his form. He should be climbing on top 10 level in the crucial stages

7. Vincenzo Nibali training day may or may not strongly interfere with GC favorites plans in Andorra

As for overall stage tactics. I expect Astana to put in the work to track down breakaways cause MAL can't really miss out on bonifications at the finish line if he's the strongest. And if he isn't the strongest, he's not gonna win anyway. Only expect a break to win on La Rabassa, unless MTWN starts shining again

TRENDING THREADS