• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 221 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
What a great position for Valverde to be in. Yates is probably 50-50 to crack. Obviously not as much as in the Giro, but enough to lose 1+ minute. And Valverde has a significant buffer down to 3rd place.

Difficult decision though whether or not to ride conservatively in the next couple of days, leaving everything for stage 20, or to try to chip away a bit at Yates's advantage, but risk pushing it too hard.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
So... by the look of his the 2012 TdF was his "bad" year GT-wise (not counting years he DNFed); finishing all the way down on a 20th place.

Like almost every other GC contender for that Tour, he suffered some nasty injuries in a week 1 crash. I wouldn't read much into that gc placing

That was the most boring Tour I've ever watched and it takes some beating. Half the GC contenders didn't start because of injury or suspension, and of the other half every one crashed hard in week 1 except for the podium 3.

Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
RedheadDane said:
So... by the look of his the 2012 TdF was his "bad" year GT-wise (not counting years he DNFed); finishing all the way down on a 20th place.

Like almost every other GC contender for that Tour, he suffered some nasty injuries in a week 1 crash. I wouldn't read much into that gc placing

That was the most boring Tour I've ever watched and it takes some beating. Half the GC contenders didn't start because of injury or suspension, and of the other half every one crashed hard in week 1 except for the podium 3.

I'd also add that was his first GT in over 2 years. His next worst GT was this year's Tour which was his first GT after a year without one. His 3rd worst GT was the 2016 Vuelta which was his 3rd GT in one season and 5th in a row.

Rolf Sørensen still not believing what he sees and has an incredibly hard time admitting he is a bit of a douche and not much of an analyst.
Libertine Seguros hates to love Valverde, I love to love him. :D

Incredible performance today. Nairo Quintana better help Valverde 100% or I am going to raaaaaaaage. And where it Dekker Tifosi at? :D

Re:

DFA123 said:
What a great position for Valverde to be in. Yates is probably 50-50 to crack. Obviously not as much as in the Giro, but enough to lose 1+ minute. And Valverde has a significant buffer down to 3rd place.

Difficult decision though whether or not to ride conservatively in the next couple of days, leaving everything for stage 20, or to try to chip away a bit at Yates's advantage, but risk pushing it too hard.

His team needs to push hard in both Andorra stages, him personally all out in stage 20, and in stage 19 if he smells any weakness from Yates. If not then try to get some bonuses and to drop him at the very end.

Fair enough, I know you aint running. But even though Saturdays stage is hard, its still 100 km and the mountains really aren't that hard. Gallina is like Cobortoria easy side and thats almost the hardest climb on the stage? Thats certainly Valverde-terrain, him and Yates have the same characterics anyways. It hurts he got 30 sec on that easy stage in the beginning, but props to him.

I honestly thought the dream was dead yesterday. Turns out its more alive than it has ever been. This could be amazing!!

"La Rabassa? It’s not bad for me, I know it pretty well. As Alberto Contador told me – he was sitting behind the podium after the stage – I have to take care of my body eat as much as I need, because I really cracked hard at that climb in 2008"

I wonder what kind of advices Contador give his protegé Más after the stage then, but apparently he just reminded Valverde he kicked his ass back in 2008 when - yes - Ballan won. It was raining that day, hopefully it won't do that on Friday and Saturday, but Valverde surely would want to eat a lot beforehand. :D

Today was his best opportunity to take time from Yates, the last 2 major challenges look likely to favour Yates over Valverde more so that today's finish. If Yates is not going to collapse and I don't think it likely, it is going to take something very special from Valverde to win this Vuelta, especially with Adam back, and able, to support Yates if he does get into some trouble. It is now incumbent on QS, Movistar and Astana to keep the bonuses in play on Stages 19 and 20 to help reduce the current 25 second gap further if the opportunity presents itself.

NL4KiK1.png

Fqm6JDc.png

2ZVKvFS.png

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
"La Rabassa? It’s not bad for me, I know it pretty well. As Alberto Contador told me – he was sitting behind the podium after the stage – I have to take care of my body eat as much as I need, because I really cracked hard at that climb in 2008"

I wonder what kind of advices Contador give his protegé Más after the stage then, but apparently he just reminded Valverde he kicked his *** back in 2008 when - yes - Ballan won. It was raining that day, hopefully it won't do that on Friday and Saturday, but Valverde surely would want to eat a lot beforehand. :D

I think we'll trust him that he's learned what to and what not to do.

Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I thought stage 20 would be harder, but like Valv.Piti said it's doable for a rider of Valverde's characteristics. If his current form is sufficient...

Yep with at least 4 secs and as potentially much as 10 secs of gain guaranteed from keeping the bonifications in play, the gap is definitely bridgeable esp for a man with his finishing power, Yates is pretty good at too mind, as we have seen. Clearly it would have played to QS and Movistar's benefit greatly to have the bonifications in play today, a mistake I think they need to avoid on Friday and Sat no?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

I wonder what kind of advices Contador give his protegé Más after the stage then, but apparently he just reminded Valverde he kicked his *** back in 2008 when - yes - Ballan won. It was raining that day, hopefully it won't do that on Friday and Saturday, but Valverde surely would want to eat a lot beforehand. :D
That is funny :p

TRENDING THREADS