• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 237 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:
According to Garcia-Acosta, Valverde might ride Milan-Torino before Lombardia. Afterwards he might also ride in Guanxi to possibly secure the first place in the UCI rankings.
I hoped he'd race Emilia, but Milan-Turin isnt bad either before Lombardia, definitely. :D I actually didnt think he would race any of the races before Lombardia. Its pretty close to Lombardia tho, but he knows what he is doing and as he has shown many times that his recovery between races is pretty amazing.

Please not China. I hate, hate, hate, hate races in the Middle East and Asia - should just rest up after this tough season.

Last year, the riders who did well in Milano-Torino all sucked comparatively in Lombardia but now it has been moved to a day earlier so it might be better.

Regarding your last sentence - you know non-Europeans are also people, right? Quite the statement. Even considering how much appraisal the Guangxi race got from the riders last year (the only problem was that it wasn't televised).

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I just really dislike races held in places with no culture of cycling what so ever, but yeah, that was probably a bit harsh. Especially when it comes to Valverde, and at the end of the season, I really wish he'd rather just go home and celebrate..

I understand dislike for races where the natives just don't care and nobody shows up (though, to be honest, I much prefer watching a race on TV than attending it), but it is the riders that make the races, and the lack of spectatours didn't prevent me from enjoying watching Alejandro smoking the opposition on the Jebel Hafeet earlier this year.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:
According to Garcia-Acosta, Valverde might ride Milan-Torino before Lombardia. Afterwards he might also ride in Guanxi to possibly secure the first place in the UCI rankings.
I hoped he'd race Emilia, but Milan-Turin isnt bad either before Lombardia, definitely. :D I actually didnt think he would race any of the races before Lombardia. Its pretty close to Lombardia tho, but he knows what he is doing and as he has shown many times that his recovery between races is pretty amazing.

Please not China. I hate, hate, hate, hate races in the Middle East and Asia - should just rest up after this tough season.

Last year, the riders who did well in Milano-Torino all sucked comparatively in Lombardia but now it has been moved to a day earlier so it might be better.
That's interesting. I hadn't really noticed that the MT riders did bad in Lombardia.

This coming Sunday he's going to be in Madrid. They are advertising a big fun ride with him. I agree with Valv.Piti. Just do the Milan-Torino and Lombardia and then go home, celebrate, enjoy this achievement. I guess it's possible he'll race one race after Lombardia depending on how he's feeling and how close he is to the Points title.

Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:

I think Emilia is better for him since San Luca is shorter and harder than Superga but he has an event in Madrid sunday morning so it won't fit in his schedule.
At the moment the confirmed races are Tre Valli Varesine, Milano-Torino and Lombardia, i've never heard anything from him about going to China, it's only a suggestion from journalists that think he wants the WT, what Acosta said (answering questions from journalists) is that it's almost impossible to do.

In light of Valverde's recent WC win, it's interesting to compare peloton's best one-day riders: Gilbert, Sagan and Valverde.

Major Races (WC, OG, Monuments)
Valverde: 5 (WC, 4xLiege) + 11 podiums!
Sagan: 5 (3xWC, Ronde, Roubaix) + 3 podiums
Gilbert: 5 (WC, Ronde, Liege, 2xLombardia) + 6 podiums

Big Classics (WT level + some more)
Valverde: 7 (5xFleche, 2x San Sebastian)
Sagan: 7 (3xGW, E3, Montreal, 2xQuebec) + EC (big classic imo)
Gilbert: 9 (4xAmstel, Fleche, San Sebastian, Quebec, 2x Paris-Tours) + 3 (2x Het Volk, Strade)

Semi-Classics and other races (HC and cat.1 level)
Valverde: 17 (2x Nationals, Roma Maxima, 2x GP Indurain, 2x Murcia, Paris-Camembert, 5x Mallorca races...)
Sagan: 9 (5xNationals, Kuurne, Brabantse Pijl, Citta di Camaiore, GP Industria di Prato)
Gilbert: 19 (2xNationals, 2xBrabantse Pijl, 2x Gran Piemonte, Coppa Sabatini, Murcia, 2x GP de Wallonie...)

Really tight contest in my opinion, very small margins, but as things stand right now I will go with:
1.Gilbert - thanks to variety of the races he won
2.Sagan - mostly because of that triple
3.Valverde - but maybe not for long, Lombardia could turn things upside down ;)

Re:

Blanco said:
In light of Valverde's recent WC win, it's interesting to compare peloton's best one-day riders: Gilbert, Sagan and Valverde.

Major Races (WC, OG, Monuments)
Valverde: 5 (WC, 4xLiege) + 11 podiums!
Sagan: 5 (3xWC, Ronde, Roubaix) + 3 podiums
Gilbert: 5 (WC, Ronde, Liege, 2xLombardia) + 6 podiums

Big Classics (WT level + some more)
Valverde: 7 (5xFleche, 2x San Sebastian)
Sagan: 7 (3xGW, E3, Montreal, 2xQuebec) + EC (big classic imo)
Gilbert: 9 (4xAmstel, Fleche, San Sebastian, Qubec, 2x Paris-Tours) + 3 (2x Het Volk, Strade)

Semi-Classics and other races (HC and cat.1 level)
Valverde: 17 (2x Nationals, Roma Maxima, 2x GP Indurain, 2x Murcia, Paris-Camembert, 5x Mallorca races...)
Sagan: 9 (5xNationals, Kuurne, Brabantse Pijl, Citta di Camaiore, GP Industria di Prato)
Gilbert: 19 (2xNationals, 2xBrabantse Pijl, 2x Gran Piemonte, Coppa Sabatini, Murcia, 2x GP de Wallonie...)

Really tight contest in my opinion, very small margins, but as things stand right now I will go with:
1.Gilbert - thanks to variety of the races he won
2.Sagan - mostly because of that triple
3.Valverde - but maybe not for long, Lombardia could turn things upside down ;)
Interesting comparison. I think Gilbert clearly has the best classics palmares due to the variety you mentioned and due to the number of other big classics. (I'd also argue that the 2xHet Volk and the Strade Bianche victory weigh more than many WT wins) However despite having the strongest classics palmares Gilbert has the weakest total palmares as classics are almost everything he wins while Sagan wins tons of stages and a lot of points classifications and Valverde is a superb stage racer who has even won a GT. As of now it's Valverde>Sagan>Gilbert, however while I can't really see Gilbert catching anyone on that list Sagan is imo likely to at some point overtake Valverde.

Koronin said:
GuyIncognito said:
tobydawq said:
Tre Valli Varesine, Milano-Torino confirmed as antepasti before Il Lombardia.

Mi piace.

Are you sure?
Because the Milano-Torino official startlist is out and he's not on it

Movistar made the announcement today.

Here's the link to where they made it on twitter: https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1048138735550967808

Somebody screwed up, either at Movistar or with the race organization.

The organizers' website has just posted a race preview where they say he'll ride Piemonte, so if it's a mistake they just doubled down on it.

It also has the full startlists, they're the ones they published a few hours ago. Notice:

Milano-Torino
MOV MOVISTAR TEAM ESP
111 10006836763 LANDA MEANA Mikel ESP
112 10006429565 ANACONA Winner Andrew COL
113 10006916282 BETANCUR Carlos COL
114 10006634780 PEDRERO Antonio ESP
115 10009373214 QUINTANA Dayer COL
116 10002910990 ROJAS José ESP
117 10008922364 SOLER Marc ESP
D.S. GARCIA Jose Vicente

Giro del Piemonte
MOV MOVISTAR TEAM ESP
91 10001457509 VALVERDE Alejandro ESP
92 10009165672 CARAPAZ Richard ECU
93 10006836763 LANDA MEANA Mikel ESP
94 10005457646 OLIVEIRA Nelson POR
95 10002910990 ROJAS José ESP
96 10006564860 SEPULVEDA Eduardo ARG
97 10008922364 SOLER Marc ESP
D.S. GARCIA Jose Vicente

GuyIncognito said:
Koronin said:
GuyIncognito said:
tobydawq said:

Mi piace.

Are you sure?

Movistar made the announcement today.

Here's the link to where they made it on twitter: https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1048138735550967808

Somebody screwed up, either at Movistar or with the race organization.

The organizers' website has just posted a race preview where they say he'll ride Piemonte, so if it's a mistake they just doubled down on it.

It also has the full startlists, they're the ones they published a few hours ago. Notice:

Milano-Torino
MOV MOVISTAR TEAM ESP
111 10006836763 LANDA MEANA Mikel ESP
112 10006429565 ANACONA Winner Andrew COL
113 10006916282 BETANCUR Carlos COL
114 10006634780 PEDRERO Antonio ESP
115 10009373214 QUINTANA Dayer COL
116 10002910990 ROJAS José ESP
117 10008922364 SOLER Marc ESP
D.S. GARCIA Jose Vicente

Giro del Piemonte
MOV MOVISTAR TEAM ESP
91 10001457509 VALVERDE Alejandro ESP
92 10009165672 CARAPAZ Richard ECU
93 10006836763 LANDA MEANA Mikel ESP
94 10005457646 OLIVEIRA Nelson POR
95 10002910990 ROJAS José ESP
96 10006564860 SEPULVEDA Eduardo ARG
97 10008922364 SOLER Marc ESP
D.S. GARCIA Jose Vicente

It's highly possible Movistar made the decision and hasn't updated it with the race organizers or something. I think they can technically make changes for awhile on this.

The post on twitter is also on the face book page with the same 3 races for Bala to finish off the season.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

GuyIncognito said:
tobydawq said:

Mi piace.

Are you sure?
no start list is anything other than a PROVISIONAL list based on early information provided by the teams. I guess Valverde just wants to show his rainbow as early as possible.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
I just really dislike races held in places with no culture of cycling what so ever, but yeah, that was probably a bit harsh. Especially when it comes to Valverde, and at the end of the season, I really wish he'd rather just go home and celebrate..

I understand dislike for races where the natives just don't care and nobody shows up (though, to be honest, I much prefer watching a race on TV than attending it), but it is the riders that make the races, and the lack of spectatours didn't prevent me from enjoying watching Alejandro smoking the opposition on the Jebel Hafeet earlier this year.

This is OT but I can't resist. I never really understood road cycling as a spectator sport. You travel to a destination and see 5-10 seconds of a 6 hour race? The only attraction I see would be to attention-seekers who dress up in lurid costumes for their 15 seconds of fame. Hence the higher percentage of cycling spectators who fit this description in comparison to other sports.

Amazinmets87 said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

This is OT but I can't resist. I never really understood road cycling as a spectator sport. You travel to a destination and see 5-10 seconds of a 6 hour race? The only attraction I see would be to attention-seekers who dress up in lurid costumes for their 15 seconds of fame. Hence the higher percentage of cycling spectators who fit this description in comparison to other sports.

I would guess that some of the fans drive along on other roads (parallel) from point to point in the race route to view crucial points of the race. As a spectator sport the thrills are short-lived unless there is a circuit on the race route. Your point is why cycling is not a major sport and likely never will be. It is best viewed via tv with footage from motos, race vehicles and helicopters.

Here's an interesting question now that Valverde has won the Worlds and collected the gold medal. He now has a full set of medals. Do we happen to know how many riders have a full set of medals from the Worlds? Yeah, odd question.

Yes, Valverde does want to show off his new Rainbow jersey as soon as possible. That is how excited he is still is about it, and well his love of racing.

Re:

Koronin said:
Here's an interesting question now that Valverde has won the Worlds and collected the gold medal. He now has a full set of medals. Do we happen to know how many riders have a full set of medals from the Worlds? Yeah, odd question.
Middelkamp, Kübler, Darrigade, Gimondi, Saronni, Argentin as far as I can tell.

Squire said:
Koronin said:
Middelkamp, Kübler, Darrigade, Gimondi, Saronni, Argentin as far as I can tell.

Thanks. I didn't think there would be that many.

Wuhu, Torino and Tre Valle. Im insanely thrilled about him riding such 'minor' races after he got that beautiful jersey of his. Whats the route of Varesine exactly like - I mean, I cant seem to find it but I have a pretty good overall idea that its a route for very durable fastmen and punchers?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Wuhu, Torino and Tre Valle. Im insanely thrilled about him riding such 'minor' races after he got that beautiful jersey of his. Whats the route of Varesine exactly like - I mean, I cant seem to find it but I have a pretty good overall idea that its a route for very durable fastmen and punchers?
It's hilly enough. Winners list leans more towards hilly riders than durable sprinters, but I think most world beaters tend to skip it. It's hard enough for good climberse to be up there

Was one of the crazier finishes last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_ZPXIvvWs

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
It's hilly enough. Winners list leans more towards hilly riders than durable sprinters, but I think most world beaters tend to skip it. It's hard enough for good climberse to be up there

Was one of the crazier finishes last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_ZPXIvvWs

TY. Maybe his first win as the newly crowned World Champion?

I think he slow-pedal in Tre Valli Varesine to save to energy and enjoy his new rainbow.

If he is in Worlds shape, I can't see him losing on Superga (a perfect climb for him) unless a late attacker like De Marchi yesterday surprises.

Lombardia is more difficult to control. I'd be very surprised if he wins it.

TRENDING THREADS