• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 275 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Becoming only the 3rd rider in history to get top 10's in all 3 Grand Tours in one season. He was capable of doing that, but wasn't allowed to do it because of Quintana. Yes that would have been a great piece of history he will never have another chance for.
You're looking a bit stupid here, no offense. Are you aware that Quintana actually won that race?!
And I'm saying this as a huge Valverde fan.

Reactions: mariposa
It will be completely wasted. I'm sorry but what he did yesterday was useless and wasted energy. At this point the ONLY good thing about this Vuelta is that it's Quintana's last one at Movistar. He has cost Valverde way too much over the past couple of years. I will NEVER forgive Quintana for the 2016 Vuelta as he cost Valverde a piece of history Valverde will NEVER have another chance to get and at this point it's very likely Quintana has cost Valverde even more history. Quintana has got to be one of the worst teammates of all time.
post of the year. #thisispuretrolling

Nope. It is exactly what I feel. I have no use for Quintana and would have been so much happier if he would NOT have been resigned when his last contract was up. That was one of the biggest mistakes Movistar has ever made. This season has been bad for Valverde and now Quintana is going to make his Vuelta in the rainbow as much of a disaster as the rest of the season has been if not more. Valverde said this was his MAJOR goal for the 2nd half of the season and Quintana is already screwing that up majorly.

• Wow
Reactions: Carols
Awesome! If Valverde doesn't perform to the levels promised by him being "in the rainbow jersey and this being his main goal of the season" during this Vuelta, the reason is already dicovered. It's Quintana. Life can be so easy.

He's already said the rainbow jersey has caused a loss of hunger and that he already feels like he's won the race before it even starts. However, if he doesn't have any opportunities to do anything at all in this Vuelta it is most definitely because of Quintana.

• Wow
Reactions: Carols
He'll have his opportunities alright. He's not going to work for Quintana until TT, I'm pretty sure. He looked very strong on Puig Llorenca, so I guess he could even end up gaining time because he will be in attacking mode thanks to Quintana's strong GC position. Already at stages 5,6,7 he will have a chance of a stage win.

Never have been tbh.
Yet the jokes are on point ¯\(ツ)
I mean, if you take the last sentence as a non-sequitur, then you get something somewhat reasonable. Quintana winning the Vuelta cost Valverde a chance to ever-so-slightly upgrade a not-so-sterling but chock-full-of-silver Palmares of one Vuelta win a boatload of other placings. Also, Quintana maybe isn't a good teammate.

Both are valid observations that can be reasonably argued. That someone can actually conceive that the second statement in any way supports the first is, of course, the rub.

P.S. I love that the poll on this thread is still open.

Reactions: Red Rick
Nope. It is exactly what I feel. I have no use for Quintana and would have been so much happier if he would NOT have been resigned when his last contract was up. That was one of the biggest mistakes Movistar has ever made. This season has been bad for Valverde and now Quintana is going to make his Vuelta in the rainbow as much of a disaster as the rest of the season has been if not more. Valverde said this was his MAJOR goal for the 2nd half of the season and Quintana is already screwing that up majorly.
Quintana should defer to someone in lesser form....why?

From what I saw on stage 2 Quintana is most definitely not in better form than Valverde. Also we proved that Landa was in better form at the Tour than Quintana (actually so was Valverde) and Quintana REFUSED to defer to either of them there.

Quintana seemed plenty strong to me on Stage 2, winning from a very strong group. I don't see that Landa and the Tour are relevant, unless this is some bigger discussion about Quintana's proclivities to try and win stage races. I'm not really interested in that discussion, I just found the complaints that Quitana wasn't deferring to the Rainbow jersey a bit off.

Quintana looks stronger to me than Valverde so far. Tomorrow should be instructive one way or another.

From what I saw on stage 2 Quintana is most definitely not in better form than Valverde. Also we proved that Landa was in better form at the Tour than Quintana (actually so was Valverde) and Quintana REFUSED to defer to either of them there.
It's too early to see who's in better form. Tomorrow we might get a hint , but I think stage 9 could tell us, or if not then then definitely stages 15 & 16 will set things straight.
Anyway Valverde has plenty of time/stages to prove that he's in better form than Quintana...

Quintana seemed plenty strong to me on Stage 2, winning from a very strong group. I don't see that Landa and the Tour are relevant, unless this is some bigger discussion about Quintana's proclivities to try and win stage races. I'm not really interested in that discussion, I just found the complaints that Quitana wasn't deferring to the Rainbow jersey a bit off.

Quintana looks stronger to me than Valverde so far. Tomorrow should be instructive one way or another.
I wouldn't say he looks stronger, but he looks pretty strong.
Valverde looked very strong also, on that climb, and the only reason he wasn't in that group was because Nairo was in it.

The way we saw them climbing on stage 2 it is 100% impossible to see Quintana being better than Valverde and it would obvious Valverde was stronger on that climb. As for winning from that group, well if you haven't done ANY work at all you should be stronger than those who WERE doing the work. Thus proving literally nothing and only confirming that he won't work regardless of the situation. Yes the Tour is relevent as Quintana refused to help both Landa and Valverde and that led to Valverde publicly criticizing him which he doesn't do and in this case for really the first time did. Then on stage 20 Quintana again refused to work for Valverde to try to help him get a stage win. Quintana proved at the Tour he is a very selfish rider and stage 2 again did nothing to change that.

The way we saw them climbing on stage 2 it is 100% impossible to see Quintana being better than Valverde and it would obvious Valverde was stronger on that climb. As for winning from that group, well if you haven't done ANY work at all you should be stronger than those who WERE doing the work. Thus proving literally nothing and only confirming that he won't work regardless of the situation. Yes the Tour is relevent as Quintana refused to help both Landa and Valverde and that led to Valverde publicly criticizing him which he doesn't do and in this case for really the first time did. Then on stage 20 Quintana again refused to work for Valverde to try to help him get a stage win. Quintana proved at the Tour he is a very selfish rider and stage 2 again did nothing to change that.
  1. It is also impossible to say that Valverde was stronger. Valverde looked mighty strong and Quuintana looked like he had a walk in the park
  2. He also worked... why are you talking so much bullsh*t?
  3. Yes he didnt helped them. That was not a nice move but he also worked for Valverde in the past. So the Tour where he didnt help his teammates count but the situations where he had helped them (for example last years vuelta) didnt count..... thats ridicoulus
  4. Valverde never worked or quintana as well (dont tell me otherwise). They are both great and successful riders (not entertaining riders) so thats kinda okay i guess
  5. Your double standards are annoying

Yeah I'll be honest, I'm not that passionate about either rider, so I'm not terribly worked up about it.

I see no reason why Quintana should defer to Valverde. He looked stronger to me, and Valverde is an aging star who should not be given unquestioned leadership of any GT. IMO. That's all my comment was about. But glad you're passionate about it. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts