• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 306 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Here's an article about Valverde and his training. It's in Spanish and it's not one that is easily copy and pasted into google translates. Anyway, the basics of what he's talking about in it is that he does use technology (power meters and heart rate monitors) for training, but he also listens to what he body is telling him. I suspect this is what he's teaching the kids on his amateur team about training.

Here's an article about Valverde and his training. It's in Spanish and it's not one that is easily copy and pasted into google translates. Anyway, the basics of what he's talking about in it is that he does use technology (power meters and heart rate monitors) for training, but he also listens to what he body is telling him. I suspect this is what he's teaching the kids on his amateur team about training.

He says he has never riden more than 7 hours in his life, and for him training is about enjoying and not suffering.

Pictures from Movistar's Vuelta bubble pre training ride today.

122041658_4907047502646526_1967057440947126680_o.jpg

122038878_4907047609313182_2139019824563813537_o.jpg

122033065_4907046482646628_3279874585580773190_o.jpg

He didn’t do that poorly. He may not have a GT win left in him, but it’s not like he’s embarrassing himself out there. Maybe by his standard he is, but he’s still finishing up there. Besides the pandemic really screwed up Movistars season.
He didn't do poorly, but if he's not in contention for the win in the stage that suits him down to the ground, in a race he's preparing for specially, I don't know...
He ain't got GC in him obviously, he can't compete for the stages with the top guys anymore, so what's left? To go into breakaways? That's not his style, he won't do another year chasing breakaways. Yeah.., I think this Vuelta will be his swan song.

Unfortunately with this stage, his time is over. I think he knows it as well. This is some comments he made before the race. I do think he'll race next year, but only the Spanish races as a way to say good bye to his fans.

"La crono de Ézaro es importante pero no creo que sea definitiva. Todo se decidirá en la montaña porque hay cinco finales en alto, pero hay que ir día a día para ver cómo estamos. El tiempo y el virus pueden complicarlo todo en cualquier momento", añadió un Valverde que sabe que está ante uno de sus últimos grandes retos. "Soy un campeón, pero estoy cambiando el chip. No me cuesta trabajar para mis compañeros, ya lo hice en el pasado. Quiero ser útil a mi equipo y disfrutar. Tengo hambre y sé que aún puedo ganar cosas, pero no me obsesiono por si puedo repetir podio o no", concluye esperanzado.

"Ézaro's time trial is important but I don't think it will be final. Everything will be decided on the mountain because there are five finals up high, but you have to go day by day to see how we are doing. The weather and the virus can complicate everything at any moment "added a Valverde who knows that he is facing one of his last great challenges. "I am a champion, but I am changing the chip. It is not difficult for me to work for my teammates, I already did in the past. I want to be useful to my team and enjoy myself. I am hungry and I know that I can still win things, but I do not obsess about if I can repeat the podium or not, "he concludes hopefully.

• Sad
Reactions: joe_papp and perico
Unfortunately with this stage, his time is over. I think he knows it as well. This is some comments he made before the race. I do think he'll race next year, but only the Spanish races as a way to say good bye to his fans.

"La crono de Ézaro es importante pero no creo que sea definitiva. Todo se decidirá en la montaña porque hay cinco finales en alto, pero hay que ir día a día para ver cómo estamos. El tiempo y el virus pueden complicarlo todo en cualquier momento", añadió un Valverde que sabe que está ante uno de sus últimos grandes retos. "Soy un campeón, pero estoy cambiando el chip. No me cuesta trabajar para mis compañeros, ya lo hice en el pasado. Quiero ser útil a mi equipo y disfrutar. Tengo hambre y sé que aún puedo ganar cosas, pero no me obsesiono por si puedo repetir podio o no", concluye esperanzado.

"Ézaro's time trial is important but I don't think it will be final. Everything will be decided on the mountain because there are five finals up high, but you have to go day by day to see how we are doing. The weather and the virus can complicate everything at any moment "added a Valverde who knows that he is facing one of his last great challenges. "I am a champion, but I am changing the chip. It is not difficult for me to work for my teammates, I already did in the past. I want to be useful to my team and enjoy myself. I am hungry and I know that I can still win things, but I do not obsess about if I can repeat the podium or not, "he concludes hopefully.

What a class act. Since Contador retired, Valverde has been the lone tie to the golden era of Spanish cycling. To see him enthusiastic about still having something to give to the younger riders and knowing he still has value is pure class. In some ways it reminds me of my hero when I was younger: Pedro Delgado. When Indurain had taken over leadership, Delgado didn’t have to hang around, but he did and never once complained about not being the man. I love seeing that.

What a class act. Since Contador retired, Valverde has been the lone tie to the golden era of Spanish cycling. To see him enthusiastic about still having something to give to the younger riders and knowing he still has value is pure class. In some ways it reminds me of my hero when I was younger: Pedro Delgado. When Indurain had taken over leadership, Delgado didn’t have to hang around, but he did and never once complained about not being the man. I love seeing that.

I suspect it also helps when you have young riders who also want to learn. Mas credited his veteran leaders for helping him get 5th at the Tour (and specifically named Valverde, Erviti, and Rojas for their help). He's talked about wanting to learn and eager to learn from Valverde specifically. Some of the other young riders have talked about wanting to learn from Valverde. So I think that really helps. Even better is there are two young riders who have mentioned wanting to learn from Erviti as they see themselves in his type of role on the team. I also think in Valverde's case having the amateur team has shown him how much he enjoys coaching/teaching and we're seeing that now at the end of this year at la Vuelta from him with his young teammates. I also think it helps him adjust to this role having a young team that truly appreciates him and what he can bring to them. He can easily service as road captain for Mas, although I suspect he still is taking on a lot of leadership responsibilities for the team while Mas continues to learn and leave Erviti as road captain.

Reactions: perico
Wow. 2nd wife, 5th child IIRC? Anyway congrats to the old man who's not yet so old he can't toy with the young lads anymore

Yes 5th child. Twins from his first marriage. 1 boy and now 2 girls with his second wife. Yeah, today, was still right there at the front of the race with all the young kids. What's funny is to me he almost looked like a proud father right after the stage when he, Soler, and Mas were together celebrating Soler's stage win.

As we lament the inevitable conclusion of Valverde's career, let us not become too gloomy! Think of his glorious victory in Innsbruck of only two years past! What a relief that he added the WC to his palmarès. The severing of ties to what one commenter above rightly described as "the golden era of Spanish cycling" does suck :sob:, but time truly waits for no man.

Before Innsbruck he did say that was his last best chance to win it and hinted it was his last real chance to win it. So glad he got it. He needed that one. That's the one he would have had a hard time retiring without. Now what we're seeing is Alejandro shifting into a role of teacher/coach to the youngsters on the team. He wants to ensure the young Spanish riders have the best opportunity to take over for that Golden era of Spain's cyclists.

Reactions: joe_papp
It's not surprising to see that he enjoys being a mentor. To me, one thing that has always stood out about Valverde is his view of the sport being bigger than himself and his appreciation for everyone involved, if that makes any sense. All winners will thank their teammates, but Valverde has always gone out of his way to, for example, thank the security personnel at races or dedicate a victory to an organizer of small, local races.

TRENDING THREADS