• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 307 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters

Seb

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Buena etapa from Bala. It's a pity he didn't won, but if he shows this strength couple of more times, the win will come.
pity or piti? :--) (but sorry, that's not for this thread)
I hope for him he'll get this stage win. ¡Buena etapa verdaderamente! Great performance, especially considering his age.

Last edited:
He appears to really enjoy having young teammates.

123244206_4957814404236502_989178521585620562_o.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Amazinmets87
Really strange that Valverde wasn't even in the fight for the win today. He will hardly find better opportunities, at least from the GC group...
Couple of days ago he looked both strong and fast, well positioned Valverde would end up on the podium today, I'm pretty sure.

Really strange that Valverde wasn't even in the fight for the win today. He will hardly find better opportunities, at least from the GC group...
Couple of days ago he looked both strong and fast, well positioned Valverde would end up on the podium today, I'm pretty sure.

I think (could be wrong) he was protecting Mas today and doing his best to ensure Mas didn't lose time that he seems to have issues with at the end of stages. Otherwise I agree that well positions he'd have been top 3 on the stage.

Honestly. This feels like the Nibali situation. We expected him to show something on the high altitude stages because he used to dominate them but he did not deliver. Same for Valverde. We expect him to show something in uphill sprints because he used to be nearly unbeatable in them but he just lacks the punch he used to have.
TImes moves and some guys are simply younger and quicker. Currently Dan + Guillaume Martin and Roglic are probably the quickest.

We are back to the point where Valverde showed that he could easily win a stage from the break. He already was close a few days ago. Will be interesting to see what Movistar will do.
Right now it sounds and looks like they are going for the "Tour special". 3 guys in the top 10-12 of the GC without any chance to finish on the podium. Easily winnning the team classification and maybe adding another stage win.

Honestly. This feels like the Nibali situation. We expected him to show something on the high altitude stages because he used to dominate them but he did not deliver. Same for Valverde. We expect him to show something in uphill sprints because he used to be nearly unbeatable in them but he just lacks the punch he used to have.
TImes moves and some guys are simply younger and quicker. Currently Dan + Guillaume Martin and Roglic are probably the quickest.

We are back to the point where Valverde showed that he could easily win a stage from the break. He already was close a few days ago. Will be interesting to see what Movistar will do.
Right now it sounds and looks like they are going for the "Tour special". 3 guys in the top 10-12 of the GC without any chance to finish on the podium. Easily winnning the team classification and maybe adding another stage win.
I really don't like Valverde but must admit he has already tried to do sth and was quite close to win one stage.

During last Giro Nibali did exactly nothing except silly mind games.

Didn't Contador win twice there?
He indeed did. 2008 and 2017.

2008 is one of the Vuelta I remember the most throughout the years, and the stage that I figured Purito was the real deal. Valverde did really well as well on that particular day, but both got cracked by Contador in the end. It was kind of a preview to what would happen in the early 10's, just watching these three riders duke it out in La Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS