• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 327 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Every year in the fall he says he wants to go to the Giro and skip the Tour and then every year Unzue finds a way to force him into riding the Tour to deploy the three pronged attack that never works...

Anyway he seems really certain that it will be the last year, if he's showing the same shape seen this year will be a bit sour to see him retire, i know that there are people convinced that is better to go out on an high but i've always been on the side of the ones that prefer to go on until they can to avoid having regret or worse needing to come back like some does.

Every year in the fall he says he wants to go to the Giro and skip the Tour and then every year Unzue finds a way to force him into riding the Tour to deploy the three pronged attack that never works...

Anyway he seems really certain that it will be the last year, if he's showing the same shape seen this year will be a bit sour to see him retire, i know that there are people convinced that is better to go out on an high but i've always been on the side of the ones that prefer to go on until they can to avoid having regret or worse needing to come back like some does.

He has started to decline to where it's noticeable. In that sense I see him in the same way I saw Mario Lemieux's 2nd retirement. (The first was due to a back injury). He was still by far one of the best players in the league, but he wasn't dominate anymore.

Never said Spanish only, Spanish eccentric which is different. He's not skipping the Ardennes, which as far as I know aren't in Spain.
Stupid decision on both his and the teams part. He could win at Valencia and he had promised the Spanish races he would race them in his final season. He has zero chance of doing anything at Amstel.

Hmmm...

• Love
Reactions: Blanco
That's besides the point. Re-reading the pre-Amstel pages of this thread is hilarious.

That's probably where I got the "Spain ONLY!" thing from. But, of course it turned out that it's just "Spain eccentric"... no regular races here.

Right, this year, my mistake.

Next after cloning, time-travel is one thing I take serious issue with.

So, I did some counting. I counted the amount of podiums in big races all countries have gotten in the time from 2003 to 2021 in the 10 big races (GTs, Monuments, WCRR, Olympic Road Race). I have used results as obtained on the road apart from immediate disqualifications (PR 2006 and the train incident), so official results might disagree. Here is the list:

1: Italy - 91
2: Belgium - 63
3: Spain (excluding Valverde) - 57
4: Alejandro Valverde - 27
4: UK - 27
6: Australia - 26
7: The Netherlands - 24
8: Switzerland - 23
8: Germany - 23
10: France - 22
11: Colombia - 21
12: Slovenia - 14
13: Norway - 13
14: Luxembourg - 12
15: Denmark - 11
15: Russia - 11
15: USA - 11
18: Slovakia - 9
19: Kazakhstan - 8
19: Poland - 8
21: Ecuador, Portugal, Ireland - 4
24: Canada - 3
25: Czechia, Ukraine - 2
27: Lithuania, New Zealand, Sweden, Venezuela, Austria - 1

And yes, I know that you have to weigh victories differently to seconds and thirds in a sober discussion about greatness, but this is still absolutely nuts!

Last edited:
So, I did some counting. I counted the amount of podiums in big races all countries have gotten in the time from 2003 to 2021 in the 10 big races (GTs, Monuments, WCRR, Olympic Road Race). I have used results as obtained on the road apart from immediate disqualifications (PR 2006 and the train incident), so official results might disagree. Here is the list:

1: Italy - 91
2: Belgium - 63
3: Spain (excluding Valverde) - 58
4: Alejandro Valverde - 27
4: UK - 27
6: Australia - 26
7: The Netherlands - 24
8: Switzerland - 23
8: Germany - 23
10: France - 22
11: Colombia - 20
12: Slovenia - 14
13: Norway - 13
14: Luxembourg - 12
15: Denmark - 11
15: Russia - 11
15: USA - 11
18: Slovakia - 9
19: Kazakhstan - 8
19: Poland - 8
21: Ecuador, Portugal, Ireland - 4
24: Canada - 3
25: Czechia, Ukraine - 2
27: Lithuania, New Zealand, Sweden, Venezuela, Austria - 1

And yes, I know that you have to weigh victories differently to seconds and thirds in a sober discussion about greatness, but this is still absolutely nuts!
I was gonna criticize Valverdes competition cause Valverde didn't race against that one guy who gets all the podiums.

I suppose when a rider one supports threw away a Worlds and a Lombardia win through stupid riding, all that is left is to count the podiums

What is the point of this? I did say that of course wins matter more.

If it isn't the least bit impressive to you that only two other whole countries have obtained more podiums in the biggest races over a 19-year period than Valverde, good for you.

What is the point of this? I did say that of course wins matter more.

If it isn't the least bit impressive to you that only two other whole countries have obtained more podiums in the biggest races over a 19-year period than Valverde, good for you.

The point of this is that Valverde traded 2 major wins for the smaller risk of not getting the podium. So while the stats are impressive, I would have been more impressed if Valverde reacted immediately to Martin and lost a podium instead of waiting to start the sprint at a safe distance for beating the rest in the group.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The point of this is that Valverde traded 2 major wins for the smaller risk of not getting the podium. So while the stats are impressive, I would have been more impressed if Valverde reacted immediately to Martin and lost a podium instead of waiting to start the sprint at a safe distance for beating the rest in the group.

I was also very angry at that time but that's hardly how he has gotten all his podiums...

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't understand what you mean there, I have to say.
Only the top cycling nations are gonna have more than a few riders contribute to that number. For example doing better better than The Netherlands seems really WTF then you realise the highest scoring Dutch rider by this metric is Niki Terpstra with 6 and we have like.

Say if you do the same thing for tennis then Djokovic, Federer and Nadal each beat all the other countries combined.

Only the top cycling nations are gonna have more than a few riders contribute to that number. For example doing better better than The Netherlands seems really WTF then you realise the highest scoring Dutch rider by this metric is Niki Terpstra with 6 and we have like.

Say if you do the same thing for tennis then Djokovic, Federer and Nadal each beat all the other countries combined.

So what? That's kind of the reason why I did this...

TRENDING THREADS