• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I'm one of the forum's biggest, if not biggest outright, Valverde apologists.

Agreed :)

The big test of his comeback will be how he performs in a GT where recovery counts. Even I - who would be the anti-apologist for Piti (and anyone else ever busted) - admit the guy can win a one day race (which TdU effectively was) on the back of his natural talent. A GT podium....we'll see.

Though I happily admit I'd hoped he'd fallen as quick as Di Luca had post comeback.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Now there's a good sport. I didn't know you had it in you, ACF.

You didn't think I had it in me? I think many people on this forum would say I am a good sport in general and seem to take a lot of the comments towards me in a very fun and light hearted way.

auscyclefan94 said:
I think Javier Moreno should be getting a lot of credit for his great ride today. He really split the race to pieces all the way up the climb for Valverde into a headwind. Libertine, did you watch the race live?

Nope, I'm afraid that I couldn't last the distance, so I went to sleep at the usual time and caught up this morning thanks to the miracle of video captured footage.

Oh **** I am an idiot. I will go find one and use it for two weeks. Happy?

Can someone find me a pic of Valverde crying?
May I recommend this?
valverde_evans_podium_shake_hands.jpg

Zam_Olyas said:
what a good start to the year :D ....i wish i would be bothered to edit the pic for you
and libertine are you trying to use reverse psychology? :p :D
Nope, I just think that both the haters and the fans are going overboard on the significance of this win. It's a big deal for Valverde as vindication, but it's a small climb perfectly suited to him against a not-especially-tough field, in January. All we've proven so far is that post-suspension Valverde is a better puncheur than Mick Rogers, and he can outsprint Simon Gerrans. Not earth-shattering news. How he does against the real Ardennes contenders (unless you're going to be really charitable and claim Gerrans is one) will be a much more interesting test.
PCutter said:
Agreed :)

The big test of his comeback will be how he performs in a GT where recovery counts. Even I - who would be the anti-apologist for Piti (and anyone else ever busted) - admit the guy can win a one day race (which TdU effectively was) on the back of his natural talent. A GT podium....we'll see.

Though I happily admit I'd hoped he'd fallen as quick as Di Luca had post comeback.
Ah, but remember that di Luca returned at 34 after time out that came from popping positive multiple times in his last major race before suspension, and he was racing for a ProConti team that didn't do too many major races, leaving him to dope in peace for much of the time. Piti's bust came back in 2006, and he continued to race and win up to his suspension. Victories and jersey wins come with dope tests, and having a suspension and a doping case hanging over your head comes with close scrutiny too. Valverde probably couldn't get away with using the same kind of level of doping 2007-9 as he did 2003-6, not that he was necessarily clean but perhaps necessarily a bit less ridiculous in the quantities. Also, he's returning at 31, which means he's closer to peak years than Killer and should therefore have more left in the tank.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Plus he only got banned for 1.5 years. Unlike Mosquera who effectively gets a 4 year ban and needs to pay a lot of money based on his contract of 2011. Where he earned 0 Euros, but that won't stop UCI of milking him into poverty.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Nope, I'm afraid that I couldn't last the distance, so I went to sleep at the usual time and caught up this morning thanks to the miracle of video captured footage.

May I recommend this?
valverde_evans_podium_shake_hands.jpg

Weak! Not tough as us Aussies!:p

If I cant find one of Valverde crying I will use that. Will have the new avatar up tommorow morning.

auscyclefan94 said:
Congrats to Valverde (it does kill me to say this). He seems to have trained super hard during the off season and I was wrong about his form coming back.
To be fair, I don't think he's anywhere close to top form and he's feeling those two years in his legs for sure. But Valverde is just that good. His base level is very high.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Ah, but remember that di Luca returned at 34...

One of my favourite quotes around this was from Cipollini when asked about Di Luca and Ricco coming back and if they'd be able to come back as well as Basso and he said something like Basso was a big engine who doped, Di Luca and Ricco just doped (that is para phrased, and not a correct quote but that was the message). Piti probably has a decent engine.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
To be fair, I don't think he's anywhere close to top form and he's feeling those two years in his legs for sure. But Valverde is just that good. His base level is very high.

He was banned after Romandie, so he still did a lot of racing in 2010.

Libertine Seguros said:
I'm one of the forum's biggest, if not biggest outright, Valverde apologists.

I just think that making this out like it's an amazing return is just as egregiously over-the-top as the people making out like this is a disaster, or that he's come straight back to the top and is his old self. The fact of the matter is, it's the freaking Tour Down Under. We have no idea what kind of form he'll have when the top names show up and actually have some form.

I kind of agree with you. It was a nice comeback win but when has Gerrans ever out sprinted him ? Gerrans is a good rider and rode well to win the Australian Road Title but Valverde is a quality rider and not many people doubted he would lose today. He obviously has been training hard. See how he goes against Rodriguez, Gilbert and co in a few months time. Still, a good start to his comeback. If Gerrans wins the overall he can tick another box with another nice win albeit an early season race but a race that is improving.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
One of my favourite quotes around this was from Cipollini when asked about Di Luca and Ricco coming back and if they'd be able to come back as well as Basso and he said something like Basso was a big engine who doped, Di Luca and Ricco just doped (that is para phrased, and not a correct quote but that was the message). Piti probably has a decent engine.

Yeah, but Cipo hates Ricco and Di Luca ;) He's biased. Di Luca was 34 when he returned, that's the main reason of him being a non-factor.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, but Cipo hates Ricco and Di Luca ;) He's biased. Di Luca was 34 when he returned, that's the main reason of him being a non-factor.

I must plead ignorance on Italian peloton politics :)

But Di Luca was a sidebar, I still think how Piti performs in a GT will be the sign of if he's truely 'back' or not. Though I didn't think he'd win today (even without my personal bias) - not on talent, or ability to drop anyone in the TdU field, but purely as I figured he'd take a couple of races to get race pace back in his legs, which is usually the case for anyone coming back from an extended absence, whether injury or other. (I thought LLS would win today).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
I must plead ignorance on Italian peloton politics :)

But Di Luca was a sidebar, I still think how Piti performs in a GT will be the sign of if he's truely 'back' or not. Though I didn't think he'd win today (even without my personal bias) - not on talent, or ability to drop anyone in the TdU field, but purely as I figured he'd take a couple of races to get race pace back in his legs, which is usually the case for anyone coming back from an extended absence, whether injury or other. (I thought LLS would win today).

Ricco won right away as well after his ban.

I think I'm with those who say that the win aint nowhere near a nuclear holocaust in and of itself. But as for the "in January" argument, well, he only could beat those who showed up. All things considered, the situation could be a lot worse for him. His form apparently has an adequate base level and race miles will probably help building it from now on. It was base level rider vs base level rider type of stuff and he managed to win.

Also I really dont expect Valverde to excel in grand tours other than the Vuelta anyway due to his recovery abilities. Top 5 in Tour? Well I dont think so. That said, I think he might be a serious contender in shorter stage races and of course a tough nut to crack in one day races, even for Gilbert.

But yeah, I'm glad he's back.

El Pistolero said:

indeed.mostly cipo hated di luca for having same succes as him with women and for reaching his level of awesomeness.hated ricco for being an aszhole.

di luca's talent can't be doubted.

1997 under 23 worlds san sebastian:6th
1998 under 23 worlds valkenburg:3rd
1998 he wins baby giro showing he has also an engine
2001 he wins giro di lombardia at 24 years of age,i guess same as cunego.
until 2005 he is mostly like pozzato but then realizes there is no time to waste and he acts like a pro,learns to suffer.
at his beginning years,he was pretty much like gilbert,a teribilistic youngster who thought he will change the system and all of that.you do remember that...

“I can tell you now,” Gilbert said, “that I will never reach the level I saw at the Dauphine. It doesn’t matter how hard I train; I’m never going to get there. I understand now that I am never going to win the Tour de France — maybe I will shine for a day or two, but that’s it.”

di luca was also like that back then.when marco pantani was thrown out at madona di campiglio,il killer was one of the guys who said is a good decision and the rules are the rules and should be enforced.

2011 season was definitely not good for him but the rumours were he didn't train a lot in his ban period of time.still he had some shining moments in the giro stage ventoso won and macugnaga,tirreno-adriatico,pais vasco and tour de suisse until he quit.in 2012 i expect him come back at a different level,he already said he want to win as fast as possible,probably tour mediterranean hopefully.

about riccardo ricco,i already talked lots of time.everybody knows he's a formidable talent but if even your father says you are a pricc,you know all what you need to understand it.

meat puppet said:
I think I'm with those who say that the win aint nowhere near a nuclear holocaust in and of itself. But as for the "in January" argument, well, he only could beat those who showed up. All things considered, the situation could be a lot worse for him. His form apparently has an adequate base level and race miles will probably help building it from now on. It was base level rider vs base level rider type of stuff and he managed to win.

Also I really dont expect Valverde to excel in grand tours other than the Vuelta anyway due to his recovery abilities. Top 5 in Tour? Well I dont think so. That said, I think he might be a serious contender in shorter stage races and of course a tough nut to crack in one day races, even for Gilbert.

But yeah, I'm glad he's back.

Pretty much agree but as for being glad he's back, I am in two minds. I felt the same way about Hamilton, Rebellin and Ricco and they proved to be dumber than I thought and have disappeared thankfully. I'm not convinced he will be a force in the classics but I am willing to eat humble pie. Would not be the first time !

TRENDING THREADS