• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hockey

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I grew up about an hour and a half drive to Pittsburgh. Grew up watching Mario Lemieux play both on TV and in person. I may live in NC now, but my sports teams are the Pittsburgh teams.
I have it like this as well. I still feel more associated with sports teams from my home town than from a town I have been living for most of my life now. But I am not big fan of any of the team sports anyway - I was maybe bigger fan of the Bolts this season than any team from my country :)

Reactions: Koronin
I have it like this as well. I still feel more associated with sports teams from my home town than from a town I have been living for most of my life now. But I am not big fan of any of the team sports anyway - I was maybe bigger fan of the Bolts this season than any team from my country :)

There's a deeper connection to the teams you grow up cheering for. That's why a new team in a new city needs to survive for a generation so that the kids who grow up with the team there become adults and that is then their team.

So... New Jersey Devils circumvent cap with a pre-orchestrated contract.

Bettman fines them $3m and takes away draft picks.

Chicago Blackhawks discover one of their coaches date-raped a prospect player and threatened them with a baseball bat, hide it with the explicit admitted reason being that they were worried it would affect the team's morale during a cup run, lets the coach in question get their day with the Stanley Cup, lets them go with severance pay, invites them to the banner raising ceremony, gives them a glowing recommendation to help them get a new job coaching colleges and high school players (where he promptly gets jailed for further sexual assaults including one of a 16-year-old), buries the story, allows a culture of bullying the victim of the assault to develop, marginalises and then releases the player and plays dumb in the media and defends their inaction in the face of all the evidence to the contrary to this day. All this at the same time as the team's AHL affiliate coach was racially abusing a Nigerian-born player on the team's books.

Bettman fines them $2m, and no draft picks.

Chicago Blackhawks discover one of their coaches date-raped a prospect player and threatened them with a baseball bat, hide it with the explicit admitted reason being that they were worried it would affect the team's morale during a cup run, lets the coach in question get their day with the Stanley Cup, lets them go with severance pay, invites them to the banner raising ceremony, gives them a glowing recommendation to help them get a new job coaching colleges and high school players (where he promptly gets jailed for further sexual assaults including one of a 16-year-old), buries the story, allows a culture of bullying the victim of the assault to develop, marginalises and then releases the player and plays dumb in the media and defends their inaction in the face of all the evidence to the contrary to this day. All this at the same time as the team's AHL affiliate coach was racially abusing a Nigerian-born player on the team's books.

The penalties should be the other way around.

Reactions: joe_papp

That's pretty infuriating, reminds me of the whole Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State a while back. People in high places knew about him for years and did nothing about it, all so as to not upset the organization and the success of its almighty football program.

Anyway, the choices that people sometimes make can be so infuriating and frankly mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Guys, is there any sport as lovely as professional ice hockey? I honestly don't think so.

Bummed that so many NHL games are being needlessly cancelled this week, but what a joy the league has been overall this fall. I'm even considering dabbling a bit in the Kontinental Hockey League, but I have no idea who to cheer for.

Reactions: Koronin
I realize it's only the 2nd round of the playoffs, but I never imagined a hockey thread would be quieter than the golf thread! (Or today's stage 11 Giro thread. :tearsofjoy:)

Of the teams who are left my eye will be on the Oilers v. Calgary series, I'm sure their rivalry must be fierce and the other teams left I'm not too keen on. Well, maybe the Avalanche... I'm rooting for the Oilers just because of their history (Wayne Gretzky and all that), but either team will work.

Joe Papp - you got any money riding on these playoffs? It's a bummer your Pens were eliminated by the Rangers. Never cared much for the Rangers...

• Haha
I realize it's only the 2nd round of the playoffs, but I never imagined a hockey thread would be quieter than the golf thread! (Or today's stage 11 Giro thread. :tearsofjoy:)

This whole forum seems dead lol. (Or at least the topics I was into lol)

Of the teams who are left my eye will be on the Oilers v. Calgary series, I'm sure their rivalry must be fierce and the other teams left I'm not too keen on. Well, maybe the Avalanche... I'm rooting for the Oilers just because of their history (Wayne Gretzky and all that), but either team will work.
I'm watching this game right now. I like the Oilers, too, but expect Calgary to give them a pretty rough time. Battle of Alberta is fun!

I actually saw the Oilers play PIT last month. Amazing to see McDavid play in person! Kane was pretty impressive, too! Brutal to see the Pens get eliminated on Sunday though. Ouch.

Joe Papp - you got any money riding on these playoffs? It's a bummer your Pens were eliminated by the Rangers. Never cared much for the Rangers...
Heck yeah! I place probably 10 bets/day on stuff happening that day (mostly NHL). I've got money on the Avs, the Panthers, and the Lightning all to win the Cup (in different amounts, at different odds, to hopefully guarantee a profit). I post most of my bets publicly...lemme see if I can find the link...

https://myaction.app/jL9xQ6N58pb

I mostly bet just for fun, but it's been a good motivator to follow more than just the Pens, and cultivate an appreciation for players that I otherwise wouldn't necessarily follow so closely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I didn't catch the first Oilers v. Flames game, but checking the score... apparently it was 6-9 Flames.

With that kind of score was this a hockey game? Did either team have any defense to speak of?

I caught the end of the game and 1 or 2 of the Flames goals were empty netters at the end. However, yeah it was a high scoring game for some reason. (As I didn't see most of it, I can't say what kind of defense/goaltending either team had.)

I caught the end of the game and 1 or 2 of the Flames goals were empty netters at the end. However, yeah it was a high scoring game for some reason. (As I didn't see most of it, I can't say what kind of defense/goaltending either team had.)
The battle of Alberta continues this evening, I'll try to catch at least some of the game. (At least during the playoffs there aren't as many games to follow, getting up at the crack of dawn to watch the Giro right now is challenging enough! :tearsofjoy:)

Woooooo, 5-3 Oilers!

I caught only the first period of last night's game, wasn't sure how well the Oilers would do while still playing in Calgary. But now they're moving up to Edmonton, so that is where the battle of Alberta shall continue and may the Oilers win!

On a side note - I haven't been following the NHL closely in ages, so was a bit bewildered when the commentators kept on mentioning Tkachuk and a Tkachuk could frequently be seen on the screen. I thought no way is Tkachuk still playing, I remember when he was the captain for the Phoenix Coyotes! Well, naturally it turns out the current Tkachuk is Keith Tkachuk's son, and Keith has another son who plays for the Sens. So, well done boys, papa Tkachuk must be so proud to have two sons playing in the NHL!

Woooooo, 5-3 Oilers!

I caught only the first period of last night's game, wasn't sure how well the Oilers would do while still playing in Calgary. But now they're moving up to Edmonton, so that is where the battle of Alberta shall continue and may the Oilers win!

On a side note - I haven't been following the NHL closely in ages, so was a bit bewildered when the commentators kept on mentioning Tkachuk and a Tkachuk could frequently be seen on the screen. I thought no way is Tkachuk still playing, I remember when he was the captain for the Phoenix Coyotes! Well, naturally it turns out the current Tkachuk is Keith Tkachuk's son, and Keith has another son who plays for the Sens. So, well done boys, papa Tkachuk must be so proud to have two sons playing in the NHL!
As a player, Matt Tkachuk is what would happen if you crossbreed his dad with Brad Marchand.

• Haha
I am very happy about this year's playoffs as basically all teams I did not care about got eliminated (Bruins, Maple Leafs, Capitals, Pens) and right now I don't even know who to cheer for as I would be equally happy if any of the remaining teams wins!

I am just a bit sorry about the Panthers who played beautifully during the regular season but, well, playoffs are an entirely different world and they failed miserably against the Bolts who proved how strong they can be when it matters, so next year they simply must play better to deserve the chance for the SC!

TRENDING THREADS