• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Jancouver said:
Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.

It's not really January unless Jancouver re-appears from his den complaining about the Tour Down Under. :lol:

OMG, year after year I pray that TLMRP will skip this "Willunga Hill" race because it's getting unbearable around here between January and July listening to all the nonsense about Porte's bad luck and his chances finally winning the TdF etc. :cool:

Richie never has bad luck in the TDU, little wonder he keeps returning. Last year he was beaten by a very good Impey. But I was a bit gobsmacked to see Porte on the start line again instead of delaying his start to the season and trying a different build up for the Tour. Still Porte's issues have never been about fitness or preparation.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Hard to take the race seriously when they constantly shorten the stages. Its january in Australia, ofc itsw gonna be damn hot.

It's called thinking of the rider's health. I'm sure the riders union and the riders themselves approve and it's been done before in the TDU and the TOC. It's just unfortunate that both races take place at their respective hottest periods of the year. Well TOC is actually spring not summer but more than hot enough. TDU would be much better in April or October/November but scheduling is a an issue for both times so I guess it stays put plus they are mindful of the school holidays in Australia and peak tourist dollar.

Salvarani said:
Koronin said:
Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.

Fleche Wallone no chance he can win.

LBL and Amstel are not impossible I think.

For LBL he might have to loose a couple of kilos though. Maybe he will give it a shot once or twice before he ends his career, even though he should have probably tried it earlier in his career (maybe he did? But cant remember).

He has already won both Flanders and PR, maybe he just wants to add more wins in those. MSR he has a possibility to win every year (and probably should have won it already).

He's never raced LBL. The Worlds showed if they race it hard enough he won't be there at the end. He'd need to loose a couple of kilos to have a shot at it. If he does that he may have a shot. Amstel he has a shot at. I agree with Tobydawg, if he wasn't so worried about Valverde he may have won it last year.

movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
Hard to take the race seriously when they constantly shorten the stages. Its january in Australia, ofc itsw gonna be damn hot.

It's called thinking of the rider's health. I'm sure the riders union and the riders themselves approve and it's been done before in the TDU and the TOC. It's just unfortunate that both races take place at their respective hottest periods of the year. Well TOC is actually spring not summer but more than hot enough. TDU would be much better in April or October/November but scheduling is a an issue for both times so I guess it stays put plus they are mindful of the school holidays in Australia and peak tourist dollar.
Should start stages at 6am

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I don't think I've ever used a race organiser use the strategi (or whatever you'll call it) of "let's bring all the national champions to the front!"
But of course; first stage, so no one else are wearing special jersey.

That's interesting. Cool though for the first stage, so why not. Something different. Let those guys with their national champion's kits get a minute in the spotlight before the first stage race of the season.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Am I the only one in here rooting for Viviani? I think he is a more complete rider than Ewan.

No bad feelings towards Ewan, but Viviani is my definition of a real sprinter who is also a strong track rider and powerful workhorse for the team on the flat and cobbles.

Ewan is a lot better climber tho and probably faster. Viviani is defiantly a fantastic track rider, but would honestly say that Ewan is the better allrounder. But anyday I would chear for Viviani. His name is so cool hahaha.

Frankschleck said:
Velolover2 said:
Am I the only one in here rooting for Viviani? I think he is a more complete rider than Ewan.

No bad feelings towards Ewan, but Viviani is my definition of a real sprinter who is also a strong track rider and powerful workhorse for the team on the flat and cobbles.

Ewan is a lot better climber tho and probably faster. Viviani is defiantly a fantastic track rider, but would honestly say that Ewan is the better allrounder. But anyday I would chear for Viviani. His name is so cool hahaha.
I actually think Viviani is the better climber of the two. Especially on longer climb with somewhat mild gradients. Viviani has a stronger engine. Ewan is better in an uphill sprint tho'. And as you stated, properly more explosive.

The way I see Ewan is a Kittel who can survive some tougher hills.

Velolover2 said:
Frankschleck said:
Velolover2 said:

I actually think Viviani is the better climber of the two. Especially on longer climb with somewhat mild gradients. Viviani has a stronger engine. Ewan is better in an uphill sprint tho'. And as you stated, properly more explosive.

I think Ewan proved himself to be better than that last year. Both in MSR and especially in the Tour of California stage that Toms Skujins won. Viviani wouldn't have survived those climbs.

tobydawq said:
Velolover2 said:
Frankschleck said:
Velolover2 said:

I think Ewan proved himself to be better than that last year. Both in MSR and especially in the Tour of California stage that Toms Skujins won. Viviani wouldn't have survived those climbs.

Also in some of the hilly austrailan national championships. No contest Ewan is a better climber, faster and probably also a better classics rider as well. But Viviani is better mentally and therefore also a better sprinter while he also has a bigger motor in my opinion.