• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

WheelofGear said:
Who would win a sprint between Pozzovivo and Porte? That is the real question.

I think Porte. He would have won the three-man sprint against Fuglsang and Froome if Froome hadn't closed the door on him. Plus, he has proven his explosivity on many occasions.

Pozzovivo is much better at positioning and can in that way actually get some decent results from small group sprints but in a straight drag-race, I would expect him to lose to Porte.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
WheelofGear said:
Who would win a sprint between Pozzovivo and Porte? That is the real question.

I think Porte. He would have won the three-man sprint against Fuglsang and Froome if Froome hadn't closed the door on him. Plus, he has proven his explosivity on many occasions.

Pozzovivo is much better at positioning and can in that way actually get some decent results from small group sprints but in a straight drag-race, I would expect him to lose to Porte.

I was thinking the same. Pozzovivo has a nice kick and could beat Porte in an uphill sprint if they arrive together. But gravity makes it nearly impossible for him to beat everyone in a flat sprint.

I've noticed that Pozzovivo can hold a high puncheur-pace for a long time. Sometimes up to 30-40 seconds. But if it comes down to the last couple of 100 metres, he tend to lose momentum.

"Punching" must be another technique than pure sprinting. I don't know if different muscles fibres are involved.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
I've noticed that Pozzovivo can hold a high puncheur-pace for a long time. Sometimes up to 30-40 seconds. But if it comes down to the last couple of 100 metres, he tend to lose momentum.

"Punching" must be another technique than pure sprinting. I don't know if different muscles fibres are involved.
It's very different, though there is some overlap.

So who are your favorite for the stage Corkscrew stage? On paper, I'd say Porte and Woods, but the 7k long descent isn't exactly to their advantage.

Someone like Sanchez has a nice punch, is great downhill (great enough to catch Porte/Woods if he gets dropped by them on the hill) and a fast finisher. I wouldn't underestimate him.

Re:

WKA311 said:
Porte, Woods, Poels, Valgren/Slagter, Sanchez, Ulissi/Pogacar, Devenyns, Impey just from the top of my head. Maybe one of the young Sunweb aussies. It should also suit Prades.
The could very well be a reduced sprint of 10 riders like in the last couple of editions. Evans won the stage solo in front of 10 GC riders, Gerrans outsprinted the favorite group of ten riders as well.

Velolover2 said:
WKA311 said:
Porte, Woods, Poels, Valgren/Slagter, Sanchez, Ulissi/Pogacar, Devenyns, Impey just from the top of my head. Maybe one of the young Sunweb aussies. It should also suit Prades.
The could very well be a reduced sprint of 10 riders like in the last couple of editions. Evans won the stage solo in front of 10 GC riders, Gerrans outsprinted the favorite group of ten riders as well.

Yes, thats the group pf riders I would expect to make up such a group. Will be interesting to see if Bevin can hang on.

WKA311 said:
Velolover2 said:
WKA311 said:

Yes, thats the group pf riders I would expect to make up such a group. Will be interesting to see if Bevin can hang on.
If he can hang on and get top 3 tomorrow, he'll probably win the overall. It's gonna be hard for Porte to get 20-30 seconds back in the headwind on Willunga.

TRENDING THREADS