• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 123 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am interested in how Dennis gets up Corkscrew Hill - He won the stage up Paracombe Hill which has similar gradients to Corkscrew. Yates will need to attack on Corkscrew Hill and in-form he can do damage. Doubt that Matthews will be back for the next Aussie summer as he wanted to win one of the National Championship or the TDU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
The DSQ of Knox was cruel, as he crashed and got concussion tested. Rather idiocy for the organizers there.
in today's comminquee they clarified that Knox was "Sheltering for a very long time at a high speed behind a support team vehicle".

Still harsh of course given the circumstances, but he finished sth like 15 minutes within the time cut, miles ahead of some UniSA riders, so I guess it's fair to say that the team gave him more help than necessary.

Tomorrow as well.

2023_1_2_sanluca.png

Mmm ;)

Great race so far. Far from the formulaic race it was in the past, and tonight's stage is also going to be interesting.

I feel for Matthews, though.

I am interested in how Dennis gets up Corkscrew Hill - He won the stage up Paracombe Hill which has similar gradients to Corkscrew. Yates will need to attack on Corkscrew Hill and in-form he can do damage. Doubt that Matthews will be back for the next Aussie summer as he wanted to win one of the National Championship or the TDU.
He should go fulllTT mode during the climb, not reacting to Yates and Vine accelarations, then sprinting full gas the last 300 meters or so and try to comeback there or in the descent. In fact he can use the biker Milan Vader to pace him for a while, he was 10th at the top of Nettle Hill today.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tuned in for the final 50km and noticed a significant number of riders were reported to have dropped their chains near the foot of the final climb, most notably Matthews. One commentator put the figure at 5 or 6 in the span of a few minutes.

I've raised this before but worth reposting: what is it about modern race bikes and racers that is to blame, if anything? We saw the same in last year's racing throughout the season. I imagine it's the continued push toward thinner and thinner chains and more and more gears.

Haven't we reached the point where teams and riders should push back against this trend driven by component makers?

These days I race on the velodrome, so perhaps I am biased against more than one gear! I'd be interested in the forum's take.

TRENDING THREADS