• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Official Discussion Thread

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
1ahour.bmp

Who can blame him for a bit of fading at the end? Crushed it.

Re: super

Netserk said:
ebandit said:
R0BL4MBT0N said:
Not better than Rominger. Doesn't feel like a real record to me.

but given that the superman position has been outlawed we have a new record from .............brad

how much faster could brad have gone............flying superman?

Mark L
How much faster could Rominger have gone flying superman?

rominger's position would not now be legal?

Mark L

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
If Martin, Malori, Dumoulin or Dowsett do an attempt at altitude (mexico) then this record won't hold.

I think it is very beatable as well, as long as those guys don't react too badly to the altitude. There's a few others as well who I think could potentially challenge for it at altitude - Phinney, Froome, Uran, Cancellara, Porte. They all have bigger fish to fry at the moment though, so can't see them sacrificing part of a season to go for it (except maybe Phinney).

At sea level then I think only Martin would have a chance - possibly Froome on 2013 form :) .

Wiggins will probably have another go anyway, maybe at altitude; Rominger's record will gnaw away at him, just like the thought that Froome possibly could have beaten him in 2012 has gnawed away at him.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Pippo_San said:
Dowsett has absolutely ZERO chances to break this record.
Dumoulin all the same.

Malori? Don't think so.
Martin? Maybe, but he really should switch focus. And he's got everything to lose.

What does martin have to lose?

Be more biased skybot.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Uran?? Porte?????

Uran put in an absolute beast of a time trial in the Colombian Nationals at 2,000m+ altitude last year. Obviously he hasn't got the same power as Wiggins, but he has enough that, given how comfortable he seems to be riding at high altitude, he could challenge.

Porte, maybe if he tries it in February and someone tells him it's part of a week long stage race :D

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Uran?? Porte?????

Uran put in an absolute beast of a time trial in the Colombian Nationals at 2,000m+ altitude last year. Obviously he hasn't got the same power as Wiggins, but he has enough that, given how comfortable he seems to be riding at high altitude, he could challenge.
Really? Are there any numbers available about that ride? Power output?

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Uran?? Porte?????

Really? Are there any numbers available about that ride? Power output?

Since you ask (was this year though not last year, my mistake!) :) https://www.strava.com/activities/251725863

Also, it was interesting reading the article by Ferrari that was posted earlier in the thread re. Rominger, that smaller riders have a not insignificant benefit in a velodrome over big guys. That would favour Uran and Porte. Maybe Contador could even have a go if he is serious about quitting at the end of next year. :D

Re:

TommyGun said:
He seems to ride outside the red lines when on the straight part of the track, while closing in in the curves. Maybe these trajectories have been studied?
I've not seen the ride as yet, but there are some tracks for which going wide on the straights is helpful. Track geometry varies quite a bit, e.g. the length of turns and transition shape. Some track are neutral or best on the black line, some you'll prefer to run wide in the straights. But wide in the turns is never better.

It is possible to determine optimal line on a given track.

BTW at the temperature and air pressure values I have seen quoted this morning, I estimate his power to CdA ratio would be in the vicinity of 2500-2550W/m^2, and with an estimated power of ~450W, it means he was able to get very slippery on that rig. The sort of CdA number I've seen for one other rider of similar body mass (a masters age group pursuiter).

Re:

Netserk said:
Thanks. I guess it will happen in the future.
I doubt it. It'd requires a sealed environment with air locks that would restrict movement of people in/out of the building, and safety standards for the emergency exit of large crowds would be problematic and very expensive to create. Plus extra structural support for the roof I'm guessing.

Aguascalientes velodrome has to have indoor air pressure a bit higher than outside as that's what supports the roof. There is an air lock system, and movement of people in/out is restricted.

TRENDING THREADS