• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Official Discussion Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2015
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
rominger was a tough son of a biitch, you don't become il mito's "rat" being a fat fucc who cries for his mommy when you have to push yourself to the limit
road racing talking, 10x times the rider wiggins was.
I quite agree Wiggo has never been a proper road racer
He was very very lucky to win the Tour de France when he did
You could hardly say it was an impressive or dominant performance
He is a track rider who got lucky thats all
He does not have the grit and determination required for road racing when things go wrong he always gives up with some lame excuse
I doubt very much if the professional peloton rate him very highly at all
Too many predictions not realised

Some complaints rolling in: :eek:
Collins, who was part of Dowsett's hour record trackside team, said he believed Wiggins' custom-made bike was breaking the rules and was upset that there were members of British Cycling trackside for his attempt.

"One of the sad bits about it was that Bradley's bike wasn't in production," he said.

"He also had the help of British Cycling which, well, is not allowed. It was a bit strange to see British Cycling, like [coach] Shane Sutton, getting so involved last night when he doesn't work for Team Wiggins, I'm not sure how that's allowed."

He added: "For attempts like that it should all be production available so you can buy it off the shelf. You can't get 3D-printed handlebars moulded to your own arms to make it easier for your own attempt."

A spokesperson from Wiggins' management company said: "Brad's bike was approved by the UCI [cycling's world governing body]."
From http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/33050858

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The Hour of Wiggins...
By: Michele Ferrari
Published: 8 Jun 2015

...has finally arrived!

After weeks of preparations, riding a prototype Pinarello worth €200,000, heating the "quick" velodrome in London, wearing socks with graduated compression, a special body suit and giving up the beard, Wiggo printed 54.526 Km in his successful attempt of the Hour Record.
Nothing was left to chance: hypoxia, nitrate and bicarbonate in the weeks and days prior to the attempt have definitely helped, but the target announced (55,250 Km) and the ghost of Rominger remained quite far.

After the attempt, successful but not as exciting and "unreachable for 20 years" as he hoped, the British track cyclist indicated the air pressure being too high (1,036 mB) as the possible cause of the performance being below expectations.

In my opinion it was the high temperature (28-30° C), artificially raised by his staff, to be responsible for the rhythm being always lower than the preset speed in the timetable and the decline in the second part of the effort.
Similarly, the high temperature (30° C) was in my opinion the reason of Thomas Dekker's failure at altitude, in Mexico, a few weeks ago.

I participated in the preparation of 9 (nine) Hour Record attempts, 7 with Francesco Moser and 2 with Tony Rominger and I was able to verify that the ideal temperature for the Record is 21-23° C.
I particularly remember the failed attempt of Moser in Moscow, partly because of too high temperature (27° C) and a track that was too long.
It is no coincidence that many Records were made in autumn (September to November) or even winter.

Temperatures below 16-18° C make the attempt impervious: Miguel Indurain in Colombia in 1995 was forced to abort the attempt after only 15 minutes (at a pace of little more than 52 km/h) due to the cold and too optimistic a forecast of 57 km/h based on calculations that were obviously incorrect.

http://53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=159

Re: Re:

Volderke said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:
His wheels were not of equal size and he wore shoe covers. Other than that I think his set-up was legit. Of course he would likely ride at least as fast, or faster, on a modern set-up.
Rominger's frame would not pass current regulations either, some of the tubing is too narrow.
tubing too narrow? Can you specify? You mean the 5 square centimeters of material between top tube and down tube?
He rode a bike that was the norm in pursuits at that time, and his position was the same (i.e. no superman or other awkard positions). Shoe covers were allowed at that time. Music wasn't allowed like they allow it now.

So still the very best of the TT position riders: Tony Rominger.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/07/sports/07iht-bike.html
Some of the main tubing was 19mm diameter, today a 25mm minimum exists and 15mm minimum limit for stays. I think one Rominger's stays was narrower than current regs as well.

Ryo Hazuki said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
damian13ster said:
jaylew said:
Going to be hilarious if he doesn't get it.

He will just go to higher attitude next time (and anyone who wants to beat his record).
Air pressure makes a huge difference. Look at speed-skating for example. Its influence is massive.
yes. I can't believe how idiotic cyclists are. look at the track in aguascalientes. latin american guys there are breaking world records. like narvaez in 3 km pursuit. a 17 year old breaking the world record. the difference is HUGE. also look at thomas dekker. he nearly broke the record despite clocking on sea level just above 50 km/h in training. they calculated he gained more than 80 watts over the altitude.

I dunno about being idiotic. They pulled £200-250,000 in ticket sales in under 10-minutes. That won't happen in Aguascalientes no matter how much further he'd have ridden.

To do this in Mexico would require spending a lot of time in Mexico in preparation. It's no small logistical feat, and given the revenue foregone, a loss of several hundred thousand pounds.
I'm sure wiggins is bailing on that 200k :rolleyes:
It may not go to Wiggins directly, perhaps it went to a nominated good cause, but the opportunity wouldn't exist for such revenue to have been generated at say Aguascalientes. It's a factor, amongst others.

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Gaylord Figman said:
Wiggo like Team Sky promises much but delivers little
Lost count of the races that they were just going to just turn up and win
They should keep their mouths shut and let the racing do the talking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Team_Sky_wins
This is not a very impressive list for a "top" team
No wins in Giro Vuelta World Road Championships major Classics etc
Lots of races there that nobody has ever heard of or ones that are used by the stars to warm up for Le Tour
Sky are badly in need of a star rider and some tough guys who can back him up properly
The likes of Porte Thomas Stannard and co are not consistant enough for a three week stage race
One day brilliant next day dropped!

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
In summary,

One guy thinks sosenska (the tall guy twice caught doping) is the real best hour rider. (He never did any similar rides)

Two guys think Rominger was clean and was the best, even though he was beaten by boardman.

One guy said:
rominger was ....a fat **** who cries for his mommy when you have to push yourself to the limit
(I think he was saying that rominger didn't work for Ferrari. Ferrari was his trackside coach!

I agree about the temperature being set too high. 80 is about right.(27C)

As I said before in the Track Hour discussion, being in Switzerland velodrome would add 0.5 kilometers. Wiggins has said that he does not perform well at high altitude, and was never on the table.

Could Dowsett beat Wiggins at high altitude? Just, yes.

Gaylord Figman said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Gaylord Figman said:
Wiggo like Team Sky promises much but delivers little
Lost count of the races that they were just going to just turn up and win
They should keep their mouths shut and let the racing do the talking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Team_Sky_wins
This is not a very impressive list for a "top" team
No wins in Giro Vuelta World Road Championships major Classics etc
Lots of races there that nobody has ever heard of or ones that are used by the stars to warm up for Le Tour
Sky are badly in need of a star rider and some tough guys who can back him up properly
The likes of Porte Thomas Stannard and co are not consistant enough for a three week stage race
One day brilliant next day dropped!
Is there not a Sky thread for such off-topic discussion?

For anyone interested in legit performance gains:

altitude%2Bspeed.jpg

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/wm2-altitude-and-hour-record-part-iii.html

Regarding the issue of attempting the record at altitude - is there not a trade-off for a sealander in terms of decreased wind resistance vs. reduced ability to get oxygen to the muscles? I was also under the impression that when you arrive at altitude you normally start feeling worse for the first few days and it's not until after a about 2 weeks that you're back to how you were when you first stepped off the plane and then you start acclimatising after that - i.e. you would have to spend a good few weeks at altitude before attempting the record.

Ofcourse there is a trade-off. And it differs for each individual rider.
The only way to optimise the trade-off, is to acclimatise. But who wants to stay 3-4 weeks in Mexico or Colombia just for the hour record? Those guys need to overcome jet-lag, and some just like the food and bed close to home (maybe one of the reasons Wiggins did it in London, next to playing a home match ofcourse).

Gaylord Figman said:
jens_attacks said:
rominger was a tough son of a biitch, you don't become il mito's "rat" being a fat fucc who cries for his mommy when you have to push yourself to the limit
road racing talking, 10x times the rider wiggins was.
I quite agree Wiggo has never been a proper road racer
He was very very lucky to win the Tour de France when he did
You could hardly say it was an impressive or dominant performance
He is a track rider who got lucky thats all
He does not have the grit and determination required for road racing when things go wrong he always gives up with some lame excuse
I doubt very much if the professional peloton rate him very highly at all
Too many predictions not realised

Luck doesn't get you a GT. "He is a track racer"...with a nice bag of hardware and striped kits! "He is a track racer"...who won the TdF! His palmares are pretty nice! There are plenty of "proper" road racers who pale in comparison.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Shame said:
In summary,

One guy thinks sosenska (the tall guy twice caught doping) is the real best hour rider. (He never did any similar rides)

Two guys think Rominger was clean and was the best, even though he was beaten by boardman.

One guy said:
rominger was ....a fat **** who cries for his mommy when you have to push yourself to the limit
(I think he was saying that rominger didn't work for Ferrari. Ferrari was his trackside coach!

I agree about the temperature being set too high. 80 is about right.(27C)

As I said before in the Track Hour discussion, being in Switzerland velodrome would add 0.5 kilometers. Wiggins has said that he does not perform well at high altitude, and was never on the table.

Could Dowsett beat Wiggins at high altitude? Just, yes.

On the contrary, he said exactly that Rominger worked with Ferrari, you must read more carefully!

And you said Rominger is a joke, would you explain please! What's the difference between Rominger and Sir Bradley Wiggins? I mean for me difference is huge, In Rominger's favor of course, the guy was a real racer, was and is a true hour record holder. But I see you doesn't share my opinion, so go ahead...

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Volderke said:
Ofcourse there is a trade-off. And it differs for each individual rider.
The only way to optimise the trade-off, is to acclimatise. But who wants to stay 3-4 weeks in Mexico or Colombia just for the hour record? Those guys need to overcome jet-lag, and some just like the food and bed close to home (maybe one of the reasons Wiggins did it in London, next to playing a home match ofcourse).

well, motorhome with a good cook for starters, and one can actually go there instead of magical Mt. Teide and stay a bit longer

Re:

cellardoor said:
Regarding the issue of attempting the record at altitude - is there not a trade-off for a sealander in terms of decreased wind resistance vs. reduced ability to get oxygen to the muscles?
That's what my chart above does - accounts for both the decrease in power and decreased air resistance as altitude increases, and provides for different levels of impact to power, on average, for acclimated and non-acclimated athletes.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Alex Simmons/RST said:
cellardoor said:
Regarding the issue of attempting the record at altitude - is there not a trade-off for a sealander in terms of decreased wind resistance vs. reduced ability to get oxygen to the muscles?
That's what my chart above does - accounts for both the decrease in power and decreased air resistance as altitude increases, and provides for different levels of impact to power, on average, for acclimated and non-acclimated athletes.

I think we can assume that the next real attempt will be at altitude. Based on your numbers, the gained 5% + is almost frightening.

... perhaps the only reason Dekker got fairly close to the record at that time.

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
From the article Dowsett keen on tackling Wiggins’ UCI Hour Record:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dowsett-keen-on-tackling-wiggins-uci-hour-record

Paragraph 6 states "Wiggins has raised the bar but due to high air pressure he was not able to break the 55-kilometre barrier."

As journalists, is it a fact that if the air pressure were not "high", he would break the 55 km barrier? Perhaps "...he felt...", but it is written as a factual statement, one that can't be validated.

Re:

jayseattle said:
From the article Dowsett keen on tackling Wiggins’ UCI Hour Record:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dowsett-keen-on-tackling-wiggins-uci-hour-record

Paragraph 6 states "Wiggins has raised the bar but due to high air pressure he was not able to break the 55-kilometre barrier."

As journalists, is it a fact that if the air pressure were not "high", he would break the 55 km barrier? Perhaps "...he felt...", but it is written as a factual statement, one that can't be validated.

Air pressure affects air density and this has a direct influence on the speed attainable for a given power output. On a low pressure day and with his same power, 55km was definitely attainable.

To give you some idea of the impact of air pressure has on distance attainable for an hour:

hour%2Brecord%2Bspeed%2Bv%2Bbarometric%2Bpressure.jpg

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/pressure-on-hour.html

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

M Sport said:
blackcat said:
But the big chance to bust it wide open in the future would be Phinney. He has a 1'02" or 1'03" 1km mark in the 2008 or 2007 Copenhagen UCI World Cup, and he has about a 4'14" pb in the pursuit. If he takes up chronos like Spartacus, I would suggest he might be able to take Wiggins ride down in the next decade. Another two smokeys would be the Australians Bobridge and Michael Hepburn, albeit, apart from Bobridges 4th at Worlds tt, they have not shown a great deal of ability for an hour ride. I know Hepburn won nationals this year, but this is a different level.

I would say Rohan Dennis before any of them but I don't think we will see him have a go, too focused on the road and new team.

To the other posters above, I don't see anyone other than Tony Martin being able to go near 55km and he doesn't really seem that interested. So we will only see 54km being broken before the end of next year. When I say only 54km that will be pretty impressive considering what Rominger and Boardman had. One had a Ferrari coach and the other had the most aerodynamic set up probably ever seen on the track.

prescient! chapeau

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
actually, the only open stage Wiggins had won for more than a decade was the breakaway with Saul Raisin at the Tour de l'Avenir, which Dear Wiggo deconstructed where he rode the flat and Saul took the mtn points, and Wiggo got the stage, and the peloton had given them the room. We were told in 2007, it was Wiggins year committed entirely to the asphalt and lime. and he performed miserably. He came fourth in the London prologue, to Cancellara, Kloeden, and Hincapie. And by a significant margin.

a few madisons on the track. A few World champs and Olympics 4km individual pursuit and then the Team pursuit dominance since Athens, does not a career make.

imagine if Raimondas Rumsas and Ivan Basso and Floyd Landis got the backing that Wiggins had in the last half a dozen years?

no, I think it was a good post to question the palmares of Wiggins from his jnr career through espoirs to Linda Mac to Madiot's Francaise des Jeux to Credit Agricole to Cofidis to HighRoad/Columbia to Slipstream Chipotle.

If JV had not signed up Sharp as sponsor, would he have been so keen to sign Wiggins?

I cannot find it online, but I think Wiggins beat Mcgee's jnr individual pursuit world record, tho I think he got it at altitude in Bogota Colombia. I could be incorrect. But whatever the case, junior track cycling has always been a relatively tiny pool of talent, a small catchment, not a material sample.

But a jnr WR pursuit world champs and WR, plus maybe a prologue or tt at l'Avenir, plus a timetrial in a 2.2 cat 4 Days of Dunkirk or whatever, the timetrial there, does not a palmares make. It is not a plamares of a champion at 28. It is a significant palmares for a track endurance rider, the teams pursuits, madisons, and individual pursuits. But the track cycling calendar was deprived of all the talent since the 1980s. Ever since the wall came down, track cycling has been muted. ofcourse he doped then, and that is not a character judgement, it is value neutral. If you are successful on the track, you will do what track cyclists do, it is neither good, nor bad. I dont make a judgement on the personal character of an athlete who has given a positive sample for PEDs.

Re:

blackcat said:
actually, the only open stage Wiggins had won for more than a decade was the breakaway with Saul Raisin at the Tour de l'Avenir, which Dear Wiggo deconstructed where he rode the flat and Saul took the mtn points, and Wiggo got the stage, and the peloton had given them the room. We were told in 2007, it was Wiggins year committed entirely to the asphalt and lime. and he performed miserably. He came fourth in the London prologue, to Cancellara, Kloeden, and Hincapie. And by a significant margin.

a few madisons on the track. A few World champs and Olympics 4km individual pursuit and then the Team pursuit dominance since Athens, does not a career make.

imagine if Raimondas Rumsas and Ivan Basso and Floyd Landis got the backing that Wiggins had in the last half a dozen years?

no, I think it was a good post to question the palmares of Wiggins from his jnr career through espoirs to Linda Mac to Madiot's Francaise des Jeux to Credit Agricole to Cofidis to HighRoad/Columbia to Slipstream Chipotle.

If JV had not signed up Sharp as sponsor, would he have been so keen to sign Wiggins?

I cannot find it online, but I think Wiggins beat Mcgee's jnr individual pursuit world record, tho I think he got it at altitude in Bogota Colombia. I could be incorrect. But whatever the case, junior track cycling has always been a relatively tiny pool of talent, a small catchment, not a material sample.

But a jnr WR pursuit world champs and WR, plus maybe a prologue or tt at l'Avenir, plus a timetrial in a 2.2 cat 4 Days of Dunkirk or whatever, the timetrial there, does not a palmares make. It is not a plamares of a champion at 28. It is a significant palmares for a track endurance rider, the teams pursuits, madisons, and individual pursuits. But the track cycling calendar was deprived of all the talent since the 1980s. Ever since the wall came down, track cycling has been muted. ofcourse he doped then, and that is not a character judgement, it is value neutral. If you are successful on the track, you will do what track cyclists do, it is neither good, nor bad. I dont make a judgement on the personal character of an athlete who has given a positive sample for PEDs.
Yes, my friend, you are incorrect. :) Actually I have
corrected you on this point previously. Michael Ford
broke McGee's record in 2004 at the Nationals held at
Dunc Gray. I was at the meet and was surprised that
almost no-one cheered when the record was announced,
I guess because he's from VIC and beat a NSW rider in the
final...not sure about that? But even when he got back to
the VIC pits the first order of business was not hugs or high
fives, it was off your bike, mate, we need those wheels right
now for the next race. :eek:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

oldcrank said:
Actually I have
corrected you on this point previously. Michael Ford
broke McGee's record in 2004 at the Nationals held at
Dunc Gray. I was at the meet and was surprised that
almost no-one cheered when the record was announced,
I guess because he's from VIC and beat a NSW rider in the
final...not sure about that? But even when he got back to
the VIC pits the first order of business was not hugs or high
fives, it was off your bike, mate, we need those wheels right
now for the next race. :eek:
yeah, you did, i remember that. but my brain keeps harking back to a Wiggins jnr WR (it could be an implanted "false" memory), and i could be getting Chris Hoys 1km WR attempt when he tried in either Bogota Columbia or in Mexico City Mexico, i remember Hoys going for altitute circa 2001 or 2003~ish... and missing out. Yeah, Miles Olman and Michael Ford were flying. I think Ford had a bad crash a few years after, then went into bodybuilding.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

blackcat said:
M Sport said:
blackcat said:
But the big chance to bust it wide open in the future would be Phinney. He has a 1'02" or 1'03" 1km mark in the 2008 or 2007 Copenhagen UCI World Cup, and he has about a 4'14" pb in the pursuit. If he takes up chronos like Spartacus, I would suggest he might be able to take Wiggins ride down in the next decade. Another two smokeys would be the Australians Bobridge and Michael Hepburn, albeit, apart from Bobridges 4th at Worlds tt, they have not shown a great deal of ability for an hour ride. I know Hepburn won nationals this year, but this is a different level.

I would say Rohan Dennis before any of them but I don't think we will see him have a go, too focused on the road and new team.

To the other posters above, I don't see anyone other than Tony Martin being able to go near 55km and he doesn't really seem that interested. So we will only see 54km being broken before the end of next year. When I say only 54km that will be pretty impressive considering what Rominger and Boardman had. One had a Ferrari coach and the other had the most aerodynamic set up probably ever seen on the track.

prescient! chapeau

Thanks, was just bringing a touch of reality. Talk of 55km's was ridiculous.

TRENDING THREADS