• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How are the others going to beat Froome?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I think the way to beat Froome is confusion. Bertie , Quintana , TJ, Valverde .and Nibs and their teams should all wear this on the back of their jerseys to freak Froome out of the race
images

That's very funny.

Love to hear Froome's press conference after that stage...Well everyone had these ducks stuck to the back of their jerseys, and it was quite distracting, I tried to focus on my power meter, ummm, did any of you see it?...LOL

Defeat Froome by chaos, I hear. Yes, on chaotic days, Froome looks weaker, or at least his team, but when has he actaually been beaten by chaos? You could argue it's the crosswinds in the 2013 Tour, but he still won the Tour, so he wasn't really beaten in the end. Besides, he fared much better in them this year. Tirreno-Adriatico that year he did actually lose, but he said that was more due to the climate shock, he'd been racing in warm conditions till then. He also fared well in rainy Romandie several times.

Re:

Vasilis said:
Defeat Froome by chaos, I hear. Yes, on chaotic days, Froome looks weaker, or at least his team, but when has he actaually been beaten by chaos? You could argue it's the crosswinds in the 2013 Tour, but he still won the Tour, so he wasn't really beaten in the end. Besides, he fared much better in them this year. Tirreno-Adriatico that year he did actually lose, but he said that was more due to the climate shock, he'd been racing in warm conditions till then. He also fared well in rainy Romandie several times.

I tend to agree. Wiggins is the one you beat by chaos. Froome is a different animal then wiggins.

IMO the only sure way to beat him is to out climb him. On the multi-mountain stages; put a good support rider in the breakaway, attack on the descent of the penultimate climb, catch up with your teammate, stay away for the stage win. Of course this would be very hard to do, but in the end you have to simply out climb him. They won't be able to take back all their lost time in descents, rain, aggressive racing in the flats. Historically that doesn't win you a gt.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to believe Froome is being overrated here. There's still two weeks of racing and people already think the only way to stop him are alliances :eek:

I think he'll be dropped straight away in the alps.

I'm not sure that a chaotic race will be that easy to create. Van Garderen will want a crazy race even less than Froome and he has a solid, if not spectacular team to assist Sky in keeping things more or less under control. Samu, Dennis, Wyss and Quinziato won't be making final selections (possibly Samu) but they're good enough to make sure Van Garderen gets to the final climb with the best.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
I'm starting to believe Froome is being overrated here. There's still two weeks of racing and people already think the only way to stop him are alliances :eek:

I grew up watching cycling during the Armstrong era, so I'm conditioned to understand that, when one of the most dominant riders is demolishing everyone at the start of the Tour, they will continue to do so till the end.

I don't think there's any hope to unseat Froome. 2013 all over again. Maybe if Contador hadn't done the Giro...

Maybe.

Re:

42x16ss said:
I'm not sure that a chaotic race will be that easy to create. Van Garderen will want a crazy race even less than Froome and he has a solid, if not spectacular team to assist Sky in keeping things more or less under control. Samu, Dennis, Wyss and Quinziato won't be making final selections (possibly Samu) but they're good enough to make sure Van Garderen gets to the final climb with the best.

I agree with this, BMC will see this as a great chance to get a podium with Tejay so im sure they will prefer a much less crazy pace and a more constant tempo to suit their leader. Tejay similar to Froome will also ride his own pace so it wouldn't be surprised to see these two form some sort of alliance if it all breaks down.

Re:

BlurryVII said:

all of 4 big riders are overrated by various posters on here. no wonder on big fans' forum. :D

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, there will be crazy long range attacks from Astana (Giro/Dauphine style), followed by cheap tactical blunders - as they are bored since they were allowed to stay in the peloton only on the condition "no GC wins for you" .

Re:

postmanhat said:
I wonder if Sky will sacrifice Porte this week? Try to use him up as much as possible before his off-day bug kicks in. Can't see any gaining much time on a ballistic Richie, and they'll have to knacker themselves to do so

Given how far down he is on GC, he will absolutely be churned and burned when appropriate. If it makes him have a bad day the next day so be it.
He is there purely to help the Dawg.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Froome is not invincible, he had more trouble than expected to distance van Garderen in the Dauphine. He dieseled uphill, the sprints didn't stick and he couldn't sustain them for long. His time trial on the first stage was nothing to write home about either. He used to be top on the flat TTs. There will be chances to isolate him from much of his team and to wear him down with repeated attacks. All contenders down to Nibali are too close for comfort, and he needs to shut down every attack of each of them. Even Contador who better than anybody knows how to husband his energy cracked eventually in the Giro and lost 2 1/2 minutes in one stage. At the moment the difference between yellow and Nibali. Like Contador, Froome wants a stage win for a convincing victory. I believe either Valverde or Quintana will attack on one of the mountain stages from far out, join a breakaway or on his own on one of the early climbs.

TRENDING THREADS