• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How are the others going to beat Froome?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
All Froome has to do is stay out of trouble and glide into Paris, no worries. Now the so-called contenders are going to try and consolidate their respective positions or try to move up one or two places while not trying to get Sky too angry at them.

The fact of the matter is, for all the hype, Froome laid his whole Tour on this one attack and it worked. Let's say he's not strong enough to pull off anything quite as audacious for the rest of the race-well, he won't need to. Plus, he's got the rest of the peloton sufficiently demorialized that they probably have no fight left in them.

Re:

doperhopper said:
Contador/Nibs provoke crazy need-for-speed downhill from Col d'Allos, pref. during hailstorm, inevitable SkyFall (MSR-style) finishes Vroom for good

The way it is looking now he could walk down the Allos and still win. Seriously doubt he will be taking risks on the downhill even if it means losing 20-30s here and there

Jun 29, 2010
www.goodforthegame.co.za
Re:

cellardoor said:
Did we see the much rumoured alliance yesterday? Contador, Nibali, Valverde and Quintana all attacking in quick succession.

I don't think so - if there was an alliance then someone should have bridged to the attacker so they could work together

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Metabolol said:
Yeah, Froome can't be stopped unless he crashes. Finito.

This is quite a big possibility ;)
Froome needs to pray that there will be no rain and dirty roades as in this case he can easily lost 10 min...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Kwibus said:
We'll see in the alps what will happen. So far Froome is dominant, but you never know what will happen in the Alps.

Yesterday gave me hope, not that they're gonna actually crack him but that they try.

Movistar wasn't aiming to crack anyone else, they were 1-2 froome. Ok this won't work but in the alpes the terrain is absolutely perfect for longe range attacks.

A lot of will depend on piti i think. Will he risk a podium to do a long range attack?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Miburo said:
Kwibus said:
We'll see in the alps what will happen. So far Froome is dominant, but you never know what will happen in the Alps.

Yesterday gave me hope, not that they're gonna actually crack him but that they try.

Movistar wasn't aiming to crack anyone else, they were 1-2 froome. Ok this won't work but in the alpes the terrain is absolutely perfect for longe range attacks.

A lot of will depend on piti i think. Will he risk a podium to do a long range attack?

We need Ryder and Nibs to go for a long one and Bertie and Valverde and TJ to go with them.
Last time in the tour Quintana went early he got caught and dropped on the last mountain.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
To crack Froome they first have to crack Porte, Thomas and even Poels. The other teams need to work together because the Skytrain is just to strong to be taken on by any one team. Besides, the current number 2 isn't interested in moving to 1st, he's interested in not conceding 2nd to Quintana. So, we can't expect anything from BMC. Movistar will try but they'll have to try alone. ST isn't really in a position to help and AC is at least a minute behind Quintana/Valverde, so what would his motivation be?

Re: Re:

Punter said:
cellardoor said:
Did we see the much rumoured alliance yesterday? Contador, Nibali, Valverde and Quintana all attacking in quick succession.

I don't think so - if there was an alliance then someone should have bridged to the attacker so they could work together

That's a good point and I was wondering the same thing when I re-watched it this morning. It seemed like attacking one after the other didn't work, but if others had joined Nibali (the longest lasting of the attacks) it may have had more of an effect. Valverde did sort of try and bridge to Nibali but all he really did was bring Nibali back.

TJ doesn't even care about Froome. He pretty much said as much. He's riding for third. Second, if he can manage it. No more. In any case I doubt he could drop anyone else on that group in the Alps. Rolland, maybe.

Nibali just wants to get something out of the race. A stage win, maybe a podium. Get a few licks in. But Froome doesn't really care (maybe about Alpe) so he can't help crack him. The most he could affect the race for the jaune is by getting his team to pace hard.

Contador is uber-competitive but he's also pragmatic. I wonder if at some point he'll give up the ghost. He already said that the little dig he gave yesterday wasn't just aimed at Froome. But yeah, for now he's the guy most likely to help Movistar. Only other guy who is even slightly gunning for first.

So it's really only Movistar legitimately challenging. On the one side I don't think they really care much about second place. They seem more than willing to risk it. And Sky seems interested in chasing down Valverde, so they definitely have that card to play. On the other side though Valverde has looked fresh he usually fades on the third week. And three minutes is a lot of time to make up. But yeah, hopefully they'll keep the race somewhat competitive. It was fun to see everyone take their digs yesterday, fruitless as they were. You know, if Geraint doesn't ride everyone off his wheel a la Indurain in la Plagne.

TRENDING THREADS