• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How do you like your coffee?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How do you like your coffee?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No votes for ristretto and lungo... So it's about coffee like a delicacy rather than a remedy.
I'm trying to use it to stay awake, but it doesn't help.
Like it in cakes, and hate it hot on my right thigh.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I like a cappuccino in the morning (afternoon and evening) and my husband likes an iced americano to drink on his way to his mtn bike ride.

I have a Jura superautomatic that I have pulled over 100 gallons of espresso through since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. Also, I just had an Olympia Cremina lever espresso machine refurbished, so perhaps I will try out the lungo and ristretto shots soon.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
serfla said:
No votes for ristretto and lungo... So it's about coffee like a delicacy rather than a remedy.
I'm trying to use it to stay awake, but it doesn't help.
Like it in cakes, and hate it hot on my right thigh.

A remedy? Huh? For what ailment? Sleeping sickness? Dragon breath? (hehehehe).

i know we have some euros around here - but I'll bet most of the forum residents are from English-speaking countries - and wouldn't know what ristretto and lungo are. Without consulting Wikipedia, of course.

I actually find that lots of caffeine can make me MORE tired - probably due to the diuretic affect - somewhat dehydrating. Relatively modest use of caffeine works for me.

hiero2 said:

i know we have some euros around here - but I'll bet most of the forum residents are from English-speaking countries - and wouldn't know what ristretto and lungo are. Without consulting Wikipedia, of course.

I actually find that lots of caffeine can make me MORE tired - probably due to the diuretic affect - somewhat dehydrating. Relatively modest use of caffeine works for me.

To be fair, everyone knows what lungo is, they just know it as americano.

ristretto may be less well known. I've never even found somewhere that will brew it like that round me.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Maybe a "remedy" isn't the best term, but I'm sure you've understood I'm talking about purposeful usage of coffee. So, no need to be sneering.

hiero2 said:
You don't need Wikipedia to recognize similarities in "ristretto" and "lungo" with "restricted" and "long". It's the same, Latin, basis.

If you're already mordant, you should make sure not to look shallow.

When travelling Italy my favourite is caffe macchiato - an occasional latte macchiato at breakfast if I sense they serve it separately so I can dump the coffee into the milk myself.

Con panna is another favourite and at home I do french press or (stove-top) espresso - BUT must admit I often have one or two (good) freeze dried on hand as well.

Also I like anything in red cups from Starbucks, although it's obviously a stretch to call that coffee in the first place.

Greek friend in London introduced me to the Greek version and I've tried my hand at Turkish at home although I didn't quite get it right I think. Both are recommended from here!

In France it's cafe creme most of the time, but comparing coffee between Italy and France is so not fair - what costs a single euro and tastes brilliantly in Italy is utterly ruined and utterly ruins you in France - cross the border and get a culture shock! Coffee in France is not about the drink but the atmosphere at the cafe...

RedheadDane said:
And... 'americano' might be...?

For crying out loud! It's coffee! The basic stuff needed to function. No need to give it fancy names! :rolleyes:

What you know simply as black coffee. Instead of getting a cup of filter coffee - which is probably what you're used to, right? - an Americano is simply an espresso with hot water added. Similar strength, but slightly different taste.

King Boonen said:
Café au lait? :)

Get a french press and some grounds instead of instant. Well worth it.

I think Café au lait is when it's done with warm milk... I just add the milk from the carton!
And you really think I got room/money for fancy machinery? Come on; if/when I win the big prize I'm gonna buy a racing bike, not a coffee machine! :D

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
serfla said:
Maybe a "remedy" isn't the best term, but I'm sure you've understood I'm talking about purposeful usage of coffee. So, no need to be sneering.

You don't need Wikipedia to recognize similarities in "ristretto" and "lungo" with "restricted" and "long". It's the same, Latin, basis.

If you're already mordant, you should make sure not to look shallow.

Mordant? Sneering? Moi?? Nei! We DO have some wits around here, but Dorothy Parker I am not! More like a fist bump to the shoulder teasing - a gentle ribbing - but if it was too strong for thee, my apologies!

As for my Latin lessons - whilst I am very good at figuring out words, and my vocab is quite large (with humility, I could say exceedingly) - my Latin lessons (3 years) were some 45 years ago. I had to look up ristretto and lungo. And I've spent time running in the gourmet circles with the bean. I was in Seattle when Starbucks was only 2 stores, and they weren't the best roaster in town!

RedheadDane said:
And... 'americano' might be...?

For crying out loud! It's coffee! The basic stuff needed to function. No need to give it fancy names!

RedheadDane said:
I mostly drink instant coffee... no point in having a machine when you're just you..
I add milk, got any fancy names for that?

RedheadDane said:
I think Café au lait is when it's done with warm milk... I just add the milk from the carton!
And you really think I got room/money for fancy machinery? Come on; if/when I win the big prize I'm gonna buy a racing bike, not a coffee machine!

Red: good attitude! Y'all are definitely more fun than the comic strips this morning. Instant, though, I'd rather find green tea. But, each to his own, I'll be looking to see that new bike when you get it!

You know, it might amuse you to read the Wikipedia entry for restritto or lungo, and see what it has to say about Americano - talk about picky definitions. If the hot water is added to the espresso shot, it is americano. If the espresso shot is added to the hot water, it is a "long black" (Oz styling). Supposedly the flavors are different, but that is way to fussy for me! :D

Cafe au lait - if I recall correctly, the milk for that is lightly scalded, bringing out the sweetness.
Vietnamese - canned espresso coffee grounds, with evaporated milk. (Good stuff, very sweet, but not from sugar, from the tinned milk).

Coffee with cream or creamer? "Coffee with"? Around where I am, "Regular coffee" means with cream and sugar. I go to the doughnut places, and have to spec "black coffee, no sugar" to get just some java!

In the land of the cobbled classics, I understand that cafe schmit (coffee with, please forgive the spelling, as I am relating this from verbal stories I have been told) has political and historical meaning, from the days of WW2.

This morning I am enjoying a blend of Sumatran and central American beans, dark roasts, strong and black. We buy canned roasts from Trader Joe's these days - I much prefer fresh roasted, but the expense is too high, and around here that is difficult to find.

But the important thing is - it is black, and strong, and a good REMEDY ;) for morning sluggishness!

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I pull a double shot from a Breville cafe machine. I like to use beans from a local shop called Caddies. Their medium-roasted 'Columbian Dark' gives me a heck of a buzz. I make everyone I know cappuccinos with double shots of this, too.