• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How will Jens Voigt prepare his hour record attempt ?

How will Jens get prepared ?

• 2 units blood cause I'm retired and I don't care if my HCT is 4% above my baseline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that Jens will do what he usually does.

Jens out front!
Jens driving hard!
Jens in the lead!
Jens all by himself!

I hope that the event is broadcast and the Phil & Paul do the commentary. They'd hardly be able to contain themselves. It will be all Jens all the time. Just think about how times they could say Jens' name or mention his age! :eek:

Talk about a world record!

In the end though, I suspect that Jens will get what he's usually gotten: He'll come up short. Like most of his on-road antics, I doubt he's doing this for the win, but rather for the show. No need to take any risks. It'll be as clean as Jens has ever been, however clean that is.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
I hope that the event is broadcast and the Phil & Paul do the commentary.

I know Eurosport are showing it, they've allocated 1hr45 mins for the show with a bunch of 15 mins previews earlier on in the day.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
I suspect that Jens will do what he usually does.

Jens out front!
Jens driving hard!
Jens in the lead!
Jens all by himself!

I hope that the event is broadcast and the Phil & Paul do the commentary. They'd hardly be able to contain themselves. It will be all Jens all the time. Just think about how times they could say Jens' name or mention his age! :eek:

Talk about a world record!

In the end though, I suspect that Jens will get what he's usually gotten: He'll come up short. Like most of his on-road antics, I doubt he's doing this for the win, but rather for the show. No need to take any risks. It'll be as clean as Jens has ever been, however clean that is.

I wonder how often he'd dig into his suitcase of courage? :D

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Once he finds out that it's actually laps of the track which are used to calculate the distance covered, he'll need to change his strategy anyway! He's always a complete mess on the bike and will probably being doing an extra 2 or 3m per lap...

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I almost forgot but he was pretty good at ITT back in the day.. clean of course.

Z19z1LN.png

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I almost forgot but he was pretty good at ITT back in the day.. clean of course.

2005 TdF Stage 1

Clean as a whistle.

1 Zabriskie David Csc Usa 20' 51"
2 Armstrong Lance Dsc Usa 00' 02"
3 Vinokourov Alexandre Tmo Kaz 00' 53"
4 Hincapie George Dsc Usa 00' 57"
5 Bodrogi Laszlo C.a Hun 00' 59"
6 Landis Floyd Pho Usa 01' 02"
7 Cancellara Fabian Fas Sui 01' 02"
8 Voigt Jens Csc Ger 01' 04"
9 Karpets Vladimir Iba Rus 01' 05"
10 Gonzalez Galdeano Igor Lsw Esp 01' 06"
11 Julich Bobby Csc Usa 01' 07"
12 Ullrich Jan Tmo Ger 01' 08"
13 Gutierrez José Enrique Pho Esp 01' 12"
14 Leipheimer Levi Gst Usa 01' 13"
15 Rich Michael Gst Ger 01' 13"
16 Rubiera José Luis Dsc Esp 01' 16"
17 Popovych Yaroslav Dsc Ukr 01' 18"
18 Mc Gee Bradley Fdj Aus 01' 24"
19 Wauters Marc Rab Bel 01' 25"
20 Basso Ivan Csc Ita 01' 26"

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Blood and epo doping no doubt. UCI seems to have the idea of an old man with zero track pedigree, very limited ITT palmares to get his name in the hour record history books.

The concept is pathetic.

not right. When the GP des NAtions was the defacto World Champs tt, about 65, 70 km, Jens was always up there with the podium, may have even won it. This was about 2000 era, up to middle of the decade, when he was Gan/CA, and that Russian (or Soviet rider, might have been Belarussian) the guy who won the two chronos in the Tour circa 2008 at High Road. That guy.

My memory is a little hazy without google now, this is when Libertine Seguros usually offers me the generosity of her prodigious memory/record.

I hope I am not getting the two-up tt conflated with the default worlds chrono. I know dekker won it as an u23 with the Skil rider who lived in Australia in the offseason.

Jens would always win the Criterium whatever it is called in France every year, on the back of that tt plus one selective stage. He was unbeatable with the average field that they would have every year. was it Criterium National?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
just chanting to himself

shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs
shut up legs

how about, shut the f up Jens and tell your BS walking

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
kingjr said:
Tour of Germany 2006

1. Jens Voigt (CSC) 45min 3sec
2. Laszlo Bodrogi (Credit Agricole) 1min 3sec
3. Sebastian Lang (Gerolsteiner) 1min 4sec
4. Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana) 1min 5sec
5. Levi Leipheimer (Gerolsgteiner) 1min 14sec

ah, the well known extra power of riding at home. not to be confused with the power of the yellow jersey.

Since he announced his retirement, I'm sure he had less heat from anti-doping than ever before. Further, its easier to get around the passport given that it is a 1-day effort, and it's even then it's such a different physiological test that any anomaly can be easily explained/lawyered away.

He will go full alien, like he has Alzheimers and can't remember its not 1999 anymore.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Since he announced his retirement, I'm sure he had less heat from anti-doping than ever before. Further, its easier to get around the passport given that it is a 1-day effort, and it's even then it's such a different physiological test that any anomaly can be easily explained/lawyered away.

He will go full alien, like he has Alzheimers and can't remember its not 1999 anymore.
yeah, all the dope he buried by the roadside in 1998 on that Gan team bus of Roger Legeay and Jonny Vee 47, its gonna be time to use that $hit.

USPS flushed their dope down the bus' bathroom, but Legeay was more tactical and buried it under Jens' advice.

Now it when you go searching for that pot of treasure and reap the rewards. its genius. pure genius. well done jens. well done legs

Ego

Jens has a huge ego and he wants to leave a trace in the history of cycling.
Last year he was about to leave discretely when the French Senate was about to drop names. After he learnt his tests were not positive he decided to come back for another year to go on a farewell tour and to get his glorious exit.
Nothing is going to stop him to sustain 400W during 1 hour.

So it will probably be "shut-up blood passport"

blackcat said:
not right. When the GP des NAtions was the defacto World Champs tt, about 65, 70 km, Jens was always up there with the podium, may have even won it. This was about 2000 era, up to middle of the decade, when he was Gan/CA, and that Russian (or Soviet rider, might have been Belarussian) the guy who won the two chronos in the Tour circa 2008 at High Road. That guy.

My memory is a little hazy without google now, this is when Libertine Seguros usually offers me the generosity of her prodigious memory/record.

I hope I am not getting the two-up tt conflated with the default worlds chrono. I know dekker won it as an u23 with the Skil rider who lived in Australia in the offseason.

Jens would always win the Criterium whatever it is called in France every year, on the back of that tt plus one selective stage. He was unbeatable with the average field that they would have every year. was it Criterium National?

Hell even Thomas Dekker offers a better ITT palmares from this period.

And he only got 2-3 years at the "top".

lllludo said:
Jens has a huge ego and he wants to leave a trace in the history of cycling.
Last year he was about to leave discretely when the French Senate was about to drop names. After he learnt his tests were not positive he decided to come back for another year to go on a farewell tour and to get his glorious exit.
Nothing is going to stop him to sustain 400W during 1 hour.

So it will probably be "shut-up blood passport"

400W would bring him close to the 53k mark assuming a good 0.20-0.21 SCx.
That's a lot, Wiggins or Luigi will have to work hard to beat him !

But it's not only about the legs, I doubt he'll be easy riding on a track, remember Indurain, even with his 510w (estimated by Padilla, 6.5+ w/kg :D), was ridiculous when Rominger beat him twice.