• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Human Growth Hormone Test could be upon us..

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
WADA Statement on First Worldwide Human Growth Hormone Case
Feb 22, 2010
Following the announcement by UK Anti-Doping of the first completed case involving an analytical finding for human growth hormone (hGH), WADA issued the following statement from its Director General David Howman:

“This first completed case involving an analytical finding for human growth hormone (hGH) is a positive step in the global fight against doping in sport. It sends a strong message to those athletes who take the risk to misuse hGH that we will ultimately catch them. WADA and the anti-doping community have committed significant resources to the development of detection means for hGH. I suggest to cheaters to keep in mind that the World Anti-Doping Code makes it possible to open a disciplinary proceeding within eight years from the date an anti-doping rule violation occurred, and that stored samples can be reanalyzed.”

Directly from WADA.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Could it be that a load of other sports may be about to join us in the gutter?

EDIT

Remind you of anyone?

"This is a medical condition that begins with the overgrowth of facial bone and connecting tissue, leading to a changed appearance that includes protruding jaw and eyebrow bones. This condition also leads to an abnormal growth of the hands and feet with an increased growth of hair all over the body."

A

Anonymous

Winterfold said:

Well Rugby is going to be bricking itself, cos he wasnt the only one.. Tennis might be a bit worried as well..

Winterfold said:
Remind you of anyone?

Fatima Whitbread?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes all those 20 year old lads who are 16-18 stone of solid muscle* - its cos they feed them good right? (*and that's just the half-backs and 3/4:D)

I was thinking more of GC contenders. Particularly big jawed hairy ones.

I guess Fatima might give Chris Hoy a scare if they could find a bike that was up to it.

A

Anonymous

Winterfold said:

EDIT

Remind you of anyone?

"This is a medical condition that begins with the overgrowth of facial bone and connecting tissue, leading to a changed appearance that includes protruding jaw and eyebrow bones. This condition also leads to an abnormal growth of the hands and feet with an increased growth of hair all over the body."

Sounds like a perfect description of Martin Johnson to me.

Not that I'd say that to his face...

A

Anonymous

Winterfold said:
I was thinking more of GC contenders. Particularly big jawed hairy ones.

Doesnt really whittle it down that much does it .. :D

I can think of several.. strangely the first freak of nature that sprang to mind for me was cancellara..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Doesnt really whittle it down that much does it .. :D

I can think of several.. strangely the first freak of nature that sprang to mind for me was cancellara..
have you noted the changing morphology of Cav?

Remember, you need a baseline. Hinc and Canc had a bonestructure with long faces, and big jaws. It is the difference between start of career, and further point.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Just a personal opinion, but if I were looking for easy-pickings here it's got to be rugby.

It's an arms race. If you are not 15 stone minimum these days then you are going to get blown off the park (unless you are a rare and mercurial talent, but even then 'tiny' fast guys like Shane Edwards are 5'8" but weigh as much as the heaviest guy in the peloton).

And they get injured so much - bulking up, while staying quick is not a luxury, it's survival.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I can see how HGH might help eg a sprinter or if you were injured - but is it going to help a GC guy? My slur by innuendo is based on appearance rather than actually thinking he does it.

Rugby however, the benefits are clear.

A

Anonymous

Human growth hormone research indicate that it can also enhance sexual performance.

That could explain a certain riders continuing quest to fill the world with children despite cancer. All though i would be willing to bet he has a TuE for it already lined up.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
what a load of

Rugby the same as UCI and everyone else - with a new test they pick only one poor guy and call it a warning for everyone else. Same with the blood passport. If they really wanted to get rid of dopers they would've tested everyone and made every single positive public, there would probably be dozens. How fair is this for that one athlete? How is it that only one guy is using it when this stuff is/was undetectable??

And retroactive testing, as if they are ever going to do that!

So what do riders use for recovery now?? Using testosterone is dangerous because samples might be tested using the carbon isotope ratio test without the initial T:TE screen. If HGH cannot be used then what is the recovery product of choice?

This is the reason it is nice to have Joe here.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
So what do riders use for recovery now?? Using testosterone is dangerous because samples might be tested using the carbon isotope ratio test without the initial T:TE screen. If HGH cannot be used then what is the recovery product of choice?

This is the reason it is nice to have Joe here.

Blood (autologous) would be my first guess. Hope they go back and retest the 09 tour samples:rolleyes: - Right, I know, over McDoosh's dead body.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I believe there is a fan that is soon to have shyte upon it. Woo, boy I wonder where this will lead us....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This could change everything, at least until they come up with another workaround to beat the test or another drug entirely.

This is going to be interesting, and good. If riders are not going to able to use their #1 recovery product HGH anymore they are likely going to take it easy on the blood transfusions as well - because if they rip up their legs in week 1 climbing with a jacked crit they are going to fall apart in week 3. Of course this could also mean slow racing for weeks 1-2 and then jacked performances in the final TT's and climbs though one would think that would be far too obvious to get away with. We shall see.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
IntheMidwest said:
Sorry Bro, just a guess. Wonder if the new test detects IFG-1?

From what I understand, the assay uses monoclonal antibodies targetted to 22 kD-hGH and total-hGH. The amount of 22 kD-hGH compared to total-hGH is higher (ratio) if r-hGH was injected.

The original study can be found in Detection of doping with human growth hormone, Zida Wu, Martin Bidlingmaier, Rolf Dall, Christian J Strasburger, THE LANCET • Vol 353 • March 13, 1999.

One interesting thing about this test is that since it is supplied as a commercial test kit, it requires FDA approval for use in the US. Should also require EU approval.

The name of the company supplying the kit is CMZ Assay Company (http://www.cmz-assay.de/index.html). Not much info on it that I can find.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I guess HGH would be very common in all four major US sports, given that we have just had our first athlete popped for it, where as steriods are easy to detect, unless you take a masking agent, and that is illegal. Doesn't surprise me with rugby union and league, AFL etc.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
How long after use would it still show up on the new test? I'm wondering because of all the guys racing this week. Could we see guys abandoning, or maybe holding back a bit to avoid automatic testing?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
How long after use would it still show up on the new test?

According to the article:

Due to the short half life of r-hGH, the diagnostic window is limited to a maximum of 36 hours, which makes it necessary to implement spontaneous “out of competition testing”. In addition, until now, the method is only applicable to serum samples, which are not routinely taken in doping controls.

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
This is going to be interesting, and good. If riders are not going to able to use their #1 recovery product HGH anymore they are likely going to take it easy on the blood transfusions as well - because if they rip up their legs in week 1 climbing with a jacked crit they are going to fall apart in week 3. Of course this could also mean slow racing for weeks 1-2 and then jacked performances in the final TT's and climbs though one would think that would be far too obvious to get away with. We shall see.

I didn't think that using transfusions increased the need for recovery - surely having a boosted aerobic capacity enables the athlete to ride faster for a given intensity? In which case transfusions would be beneficial with or without hgh.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
How long after use would it still show up on the new test?

More recent info on times.

High-Sensitivity Chemiluminescence Immunoassays for Detection of Growth Hormone Doping in Sports
Martin Bidlingmaier, Jennifer Suhr, Andrea Ernst, Zida Wu, Alexandra Keller, Christian J. Strasburger and Andreas Bergmann (Clinical Chemistry. 2009;55:445-453.)

Results: Functional sensitivities were <0.05 µg/L, with intra- and interassay imprecision 8.4% and 13.7%, respectively. In 2 independent cohorts of healthy subjects, rec/pit ratios (median range) were 0.84 (0.09–1.32)/0.81 (0.27–1.21) (recA/pitA) and 0.68 (0.08–1.20)/0.80 (0.25–1.36) (recB/pitB), with no sex difference. In 20 recreational athletes, ratios (median SD) increased after a single injection of rhGH, reaching 350% (73%) (recA/pitA) and 400% (93%) (recB/pitB) of baseline ratios. At a moderate dose (0.033 mg/kg), mean recA/pitA and recB/pitB ratios remained significantly increased for 18 h (men) and 26 h (women). After high-dose rhGH (0.083 mg/kg), mean rec/pit ratios remained increased for 32 h (recA/pitA) and 34 h (recB/pitB) in men and were still increased after 36 h in women.

TRENDING THREADS