• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I just have to ask ? Marianne Vos

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you've ever ridden a bike offroad, you can tell why Vos won this one. She won it ever single meter of that race. You almost cannot lose a race when you're riding that sharp, finding so much grip, smooth lines, and super snappy dis- and remounts. On top of her solo performance, she hapens to be one of the most gifted women for outright speed on a bike. The on-off character of cross suits her better than most others.

I am more worried about compton. She either has an engine and a half, or...
Always shows mediocre skill and still manages superb lap times. Where are those coming from?

The first race I won myself, on a somehwat similar course (albeit MTB), I was in a similar flow to Vos here. It's over a decade ago but I can still ride that race in my head. I was so ON... Took a minute even out of a Lotto pro.
When Vos has such a day, she doesn't win by a minute, but a minute and a half :)

Benotti69 said:
Cheers LS, but there will always be riders who want to win more than anything and will do anything to achieve it. So for Vos to beat this type by so much and make it look so easy raises my suspicions.

IF she dominated, then vanished, or went midfield with an infinite number of excuses, then burst back onto the podium, that, for me, is a clear sign of doping.

This is Merckx/Lemond/NameYourLegend level performances where Vos just showing up any time takes one podium spot away.

I don't know anything. but I still hope I'm right.

Marianne Vos is obviously a supremely gifted individual. It is a rare talent that allows her to compete at the highest levels of her sport year after year. And not just peaking for one part of the calender either. She dances the entire schedule. Road, CX..Dope alone could not allow this to happen. Some drugs may help but I believe she really is that much better.

DirtyWorks said:
IF she dominated, then vanished, or went midfield with an infinite number of excuses, then burst back onto the podium, that, for me, is a clear sign of doping.

This is Merckx/Lemond/NameYourLegend level performances where Vos just showing up any time takes one podium spot away.
Much like Contador. :D

theyoungest said:
You don't know much about women's cycling, it seems. Maybe power wise Compton will be close to her, but technically she's so far above everyone else that she can just ride away from them.

You can't improve your technique by doping.
Where did I or the post I quoted say anything about technique?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
Marianne Vos is obviously a supremely gifted individual. It is a rare talent that allows her to compete at the highest levels of her sport year after year. And not just peaking for one part of the calender either. She dances the entire schedule. Road, CX..Dope alone could not allow this to happen. Some drugs may help but I believe she really is that much better.

Order of the Brown nose for you sir. :eek:

Seriously she is good but does anybody really know for sure? I'm wet behind the ears so I reckon she's totaly clean, that British girl Nicole Cooke on the other hand...

Having witnessed her roll up a cross when she was 14 or 15, starting minutes behind the boy and catching most all of them (leading boys typically are world class at home), I have no doubt about her birth gifted talents, or her drive to succeed (be it a family pressure thing or otherwise.

What do we know that makes her somewhat suspect?
- Very omerta like statements. Happy to work with anyone who later turns out to be dope-friendly.
- Med student, and A student in highest grade highschool. Let's not pretend like a smart brain with interest for medical studies won't dope. They can grow to be the worst/best depending on angle.
- She not only races technically, but doesn't show signs of fading.
- Rabo fitness test. Does a clean woman match up to proven doped guys that way?

I like to believe that if she dopes, she may be an Ulrich type of doper. Doing enough to compete close to her natural talent. Then again, innocent as she looks and protected as she is by family, she could pull off a program that would shame Ferrari. She's not wasting any time on chasing boys or heartbreaks. Imagine putting that passion towards doping.

Don't know, clean vs doped. Her excellence on the bike makes me care less than with guys who all seem the same to me.

sublimit said:

Seriously she is good but does anybody really know for sure? I'm wet behind the ears so I reckon she's totaly clean, that British girl Nicole Cooke on the other hand...

Order of the Brown nose to who?? LOL I left room for Vos may be doping, I still think she is the best. Possibly you missed that in your Nicole Cooke UK nationalist love.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
sublimit said:

I always thought the women's side of the road was still anyones race, With the exception of Longo in her day, who was dominant and still beating women half her age into her 50.s by being just outside the medels in Baijing! Since Nicolel Cooke's Bon Voyage retirement statement, who knows?.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Watching Vos in the cyclo cross yestarday, seeing the nimble way she dismounted and her ability to power up the hills was quite something. She is among a generating of female talent that has moved this side of women's sport along in style. And to her credit say's the right things at the right time too.

I always viewed the women's side as being anyones race still, no dominations, with the exception of Longo in her day who was dominant, and still beating women half her age being just outside the medels in Baijing well into her 50,s. May demonstrate that PED's work in spades and getting better all the time!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
One question for Benotti69. How can you possibly ever enjoy sport, when you think someone is doping who wins too much for your liking?

If I'd think like that I'd give up sports years ago.

To take up your question (even though not directed at me):
isn't that part of the reason why we're here discussing doping, i.e. because it simply ruins much of the joy we can have from watching sports?

Kudos to those who are still able to believe the top of present day pro-tennis/pro-soccer/pro-cycling is clean. I am not, unfortunately.

Doesn't mean, by the way, that I can't enjoy sports or am about to give up on sports. None of that. But the awareness of the importance of PEDs most definitely spoils part of the fun.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
One question for Benotti69. How can you possibly ever enjoy sport, when you think someone is doping who wins too much for your liking?

Because i live in the real world. I can read and know about sport. I dont sit in front of tv and leave my brain outside.

I do not invest emotionally in sport unlike most. Why would I?

I can watch and enjoy the spectacle for what it is. I have long given up trying to know every intimate detail of participants.

What do you think when a person does the 'unbelievable'? Get moist?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Given the Nicole Cooke statement when she retired Benotti has a valid point. Would have been nice if Nicole would have named some names besides the obvious male ones...

The few races I have seen of female cycling were totally different to the male pro - cycling scene [and really boring, non - tactical] so I really can't judge. I saw Longo and van Moorsel doing a pas de deux on l'Alp d'Huez if I recall correctly. Strange stuff. Rasmussen vs Conti, but then on other juice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywi3oVbGXzQ

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
What do you think when a person does the 'unbelievable'? Get moist?

She's been doing the unbelievable for about 40 seasons or so, and maybe even longer. I find it hard to believe you can dope from age 15 to age 25 without "getting it wrong", especially since your body goes through some drastic changes during that period.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
arjanh said:
She's been doing the unbelievable for about 40 seasons or so, and maybe even longer. I find it hard to believe you can dope from age 15 to age 25 without "getting it wrong", especially since your body goes through some drastic changes during that period.

Good post. she is 25 and racing for 40 seasons. You are a mathematical professor and I claim my prize.

Lots of riders never got it wrong in their career. Look at Longo, over 53 before she got caught.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Good post. she is 25 and racing for 40 seasons. You are a mathematical professor and I claim my prize.

Lots of riders never got it wrong in their career. Look at Longo, over 53 before she got caught.

I got a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, does that count, too?

I think it's much easier not to get it wrong then you're past 25, as your body doesn't change a whole lot anymore until you're around 45 or so.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I find it not very likely.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
arjanh said:
I got a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, does that count, too?

I think it's much easier not to get it wrong then you're past 25, as your body doesn't change a whole lot anymore until you're around 45 or so.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I find it not very likely.

You do know orange is not spelt arjanh?

The testing is crap. It takes a moron to get caught.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
What do we know that makes her somewhat suspect?
- Very omerta like statements. Happy to work with anyone who later turns out to be dope-friendly.
- Med student, and A student in highest grade highschool. Let's not pretend like a smart brain with interest for medical studies won't dope. They can grow to be the worst/best depending on angle.
- She not only races technically, but doesn't show signs of fading.
- Rabo fitness test. Does a clean woman match up to proven doped guys that way?

I like to believe that if she dopes, she may be an Ulrich type of doper. Doing enough to compete close to her natural talent. Then again, innocent as she looks and protected as she is by family, she could pull off a program that would shame Ferrari. She's not wasting any time on chasing boys or heartbreaks. Imagine putting that passion towards doping.

How good are the rest of her family? Did her parents or brothers ever race at a high enough level to get to grips with a program at all?

Latest posts